Best phono stage in a vintage integrated amp

Blnd2Spll

I was just wondering which (affordable) vintage integrated amps you would recommend for their stand-out phono stages? A lot of people recommend the older amps for good phono sound, but I didn't know if there are any that are a step above the rest.

Thanks!

Welcome to AK Blnd2Spll .

I like the Phono amp in the NAD 3020 and in my Marantz's . But the Pioneers are good also . So now that I think of it the one in the Hitachi not shabby either .

So I'm not any help ...

Barney

welcome aboard A loaded thread with many opinions so here is my two cents worth I like my Yammie A-1 then my Dynac0 sca 35 one SS one tube

Welcome to AK
I like the one in my Pioneer from the mid 70s
I'm also in the process of trying one in a Sansui, also from the 70s, so far, so good.
I presume that Yamaha, Kentwood, Mac, Marantz, Sony, and a slew of other brands from the 70s and early 80s will also be very good.

Welcome to the AK forums!!!
I have only the Luxman integrated ampliers like the L-430 and L-410.
They are both very competent as far as I could tell.:thmbsp:

+1 on the NAD 3020. The 7020 receiver uses the same circuit, something to keep in mind if you run across one at a favorable price.

I also liked the phono preamp in the Kenwood KA-8100 that I once owned. What a pity that the line stage and power amp didn't perform to the same standard (IMO).

I've tried a dozen or so vintage receivers, and have not found one that was a standout in a bad way. The phono sections were all good. The best one I've heard (and it's really not what I would call vintage) is in my 1988 Onkyo Integra Integrated, best phono section I have ever heard. It is a standout above the rest by a fair margin.

I have a Kenwood C1 preamp that I use for a phono stage, sounds great and can be picked up fairly cheap. I also have a Pioneer SX-3800 that has one of the best phono sections I have ever heard.

Yamaha CA-xxx, Sansui AU-xxx, Pioneer SA-xxx.

Look for one in the middle of the range as the best bang-for-buck. Yamaha for neutral, Sansui for a bit warmer, Pioneer for metalheads.

best vintage phono stage I have heard in a receiver was an Onkyo TX-4500. haven't heard the Mk2 version, but the original's output sounds great.

best vintage phono stage I have heard is my own modded JVC 4DD-5

Another Yamaha lover vote for the A-1, but the C-4/M-4 separates combo is killer if we're talking "affordable."

+1 on the NAD 7020. Also like my Pioneer Sx-1980 ( on phono 2 ) and the one in my Sansui AU-111 ( Although the Au-111 is presently awaiting a restoration ).

How are the Carvers ? I have a C-1 and M1.5t that I picked up at a thrift shop awhile back but have yet to go thru to get functional. Actually, the C-1 is functional, the M1.5t has a capacitor issue in the power supply. Just haven't had the inclination to dig into them.

I've read and heard a lot about the MM phono stage in the Kenwood KA-9100. Supposedly one of the best phono preamps ever put into an integrated amp or receiver.

I know this is about integrated amps but the Pioneer SX-3800 receiver has an excellent one with a S/N rating of 115 db.

Tromatic - out of curiosity, what is it about the Pioneers that make them good for metalheads?

Just my opinion! Yamaha's are just what they claim; 'Natural Sound'. Sansui's 70's vintage AU series has (to me) a very laid-back sound. The Pioneer's have all seemed to me to be very punchy, and a tad bit bright. For my ears these days, a Sansui AU is hard to beat. The Pioneer SA-9100 is also a very nice machine, but those are getting spendy, and most of them are beat up.

I must disclose, though, that I have a Pioneer SC-100 pre-amp that is freakin' awesome, but I would also describe it as a tad bit warm, oddly enough.

You cant go wrong with any of them.

ETA: This has the best phono stage I've ever heard.

sc-100front.jpg

Last edited:
Of the several vintage receivers and amps I have, I think the phono stage in my HK 690i is the best I have.

Back
Top Bottom