Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Modern Day Hi Fi

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Vintage futurist

Respectable multi-CD player w/good built-in DAC, supports MP3

Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent quality multi-CD player that can play MP3's? I know they've been out since around 2002, and the landscape of used equipment is littered with them... and rather spartan on the reviews.

I recently picked up a Sony DVP-NC685V off a local seller. It plays CD-R's loaded with MP3's and does an OK job of it (it actually plays DVD's and SACD's as well, but DVD is limited to 480i... definitely not going to be used for that purpose). The only real problem with it is that it can't random access songs in the directory tree. It plays them in the order they were burned onto the disc. Sound quality is OK... fine for playing music at a party (load and forget), but I'd prefer something with a little better representation.

Any recommended alternatives? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by myu701 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent quality multi-CD player that can play MP3's?
Any recommended alternatives? Thanks.
I'm looking for a similar unit except, I don't need MP3.
Klipsch RF-7 2ch
Old 07-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Vintage futurist

^^
How do you like your Yamaha DVD-S2700? I see it has a pretty wide format capability, though only single disc.

I'm thinking that with 320kbps MP3's, a single CD could host enough music play to not need a carousel player. The trick is being able to have usable random access and shuffle functions.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Swing

It's an excellent unit, sturdy versatile, & sounds great. I really like it. I may just get the Yamaha DVD-C961 for set-n-forget playing of up to 5 discs.
Klipsch RF-7 2ch
Old 07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Here's your problem, the best CD players are single play units and don't do MP3 format anything. The best changer you can get is the McIntosh changer using the Nakamichi transport and it doesn't do MP3 or WMA anything. So you most likely have these options, PC, MAC, or standalone music server or DVD changer from a typical fair to middling home theater maker. And still need a separate DAC unit for either. Changers are unfortunately compromises made for convenience over sound quality. MP3 for me is best listened to in cars or on portables, never on the main rig. Hard drive space is cheap, using a FLAC or other Lossless format makes sense. And that's the way of the world.
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Vintage futurist

Yes, I've started to see that in the spec sheets I've come across... the multi-disc changers generally have an inferior transport to single disc; which actually I find bizarre, because it's all about queuing up multiple CD's to be played by the same kind of mechanism. Why not totally modularize the circuitry of the delivery system separate from the playback system? Once the disc is in place, everything should be the same.

A couple of manufacturers (like Yamaha and Sony) came out with a set up where a disc can be playing while the multi-CD tray system is operated--basic separation. So, the technology seems about there... I guess it's more of a marketing issue.

Btw, I've seen some TOTL ($1500-$2500) single disc players supporting MP3. I seriously doubt you'd hear a difference from a properly converted 320kbps and a direct audio CD track, unless the unit has some kind of weakness in the DAC.

Anyway, I'll let go of the multi-cd capability and stick with single CD. I won't be going the McIntosh route because resale is very high for their components... looking for near TOTL from brands like Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. My guess is that TOTL DVD players that came out either before HDMI or with less than 1080p would make great audio-only use candidates.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Vintage futurist

Well, kick me in the arse...

That Sony DVP-NC685V I got? Much better than I first surmised. The test CD I had loaded wasn't a very good one, rather scrappy CD-R. I wasn't paying attention, just aiming for a quick test.

So, I did some A/B comparisons with my other CDP using a sample of several discs (CD-R and CD) and I found the NC685V to be a better performer: a fuller sound, with better clarity and detail.

But what really took me by surprise was the MP3 playback. Wow. I had an older MP3 CD that I'd compiled together a few years ago, suffering some scratches from when it was in the play rotation of my previous car (which had an aftermarket CD player w/MP3 support). It has a mishmash of different quality MP3 files inscribed (from 160kbps to 320kbps), and some extracted from subpar CD recordings. It was rather clear as to which files were the good ones by listening. Still, the player faired quite well with all of them. The better quality recordings extracted at 320kbps were indistinguishable from CD (to my ears). A few tracks that suffered from scratches could be advanced past the aberrations or skipped to the next track and continue music play--a few other CD players I've seen in the past would give up and reject the CD altogether.

Aside from a few operational design quirks (like the shuffle skipping over MP3 CD's and a rather loud clunk at disc changes), this DVD/CD player impresses me quite a lot. I picked it up for $40 from a local seller. Well worth it.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
AK Member

I do not know how much money you are wanting to spend but the Denon DVM-2845CI
multi disk dvd player looks like what you may want to get...it plays MP3 from cd-rs also..it is at Vanns.com
Vector Research VRX-7100, B&W 600i
Maggie 175cc KEF 104/2
Maggie 197 SEP Music Angel Pre

Lets All Just Pray On It Right Now-Dr John
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Vintage futurist

Thanks for the reference. Looks like a very decent player. A bit out of my price range, but worth looking for used.

Crutchfield is recommending the Denon DBP-2010CI instead, priced about the same (elsewhere) and has some nice improvements, including ABT processing (instead of Faroudja), HDMI 1.3a support (the DVM-2845CI is 1.1) and of course Blu-ray playing capability. Only single disc though, but with MP3 capability that can surpass the song load of a regular 5-disc CD changer.

Last edited by myu701; 07-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Last of the Time Lords

I have one of these and really like it: http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3266.asp

Burn the land and boil the sea...you can't take the sky from me.
-Joss Whedon
Audiokarma
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Yer-isn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Here's your problem, the best CD players are single play units and don't do MP3 format anything.
The Marantz SA8003, 8004 will play MP3 files either from disc or from the front panel USB.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The Marantz would be recommended. That unit sounds quite nice and should be reliable. It has a good warranty and doesn't need an external DAC unless you want one. And good value for the money.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabottom View Post
I'm looking for a similar unit except, I don't need MP3.
I love my Yamaha changer. They have excellent build and specifications, controls are great, and the displays are subtle orange that doesn't burn your retinas at night.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountBowers View Post
I love my Yamaha changer. They have excellent build and specifications, controls are great, and the displays are subtle orange that doesn't burn your retinas at night.
Are you refering to your Yamaha CDC-765in your signature?
Klipsch RF-7 2ch
Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabottom View Post
Are you refering to your Yamaha CDC-765in your signature?
Yes. Sorry for the delayed response.