Exciting Fisher Find!!

Franksta

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm quite excited about this Fisher console I found yesterday at a local Thrift store. The Fisher stereophonic console has a 510-ST chassis that provides a stereo preamp/control section and a mono amp with a feed out to another "B" side amp to provide for a stereo unit. The 510-ST has the same basic amp section that the 30-A mono amp "B" has. I understand that these are fairly hard to find amps. The unit was retrofit to a magnetic cart Garrard 55 turntable. It runs through a Shure M60 tube phono preamp on it's way to the 510-ST. I would love some opinions on the unit and if someone could identify the speakers that would be nice too! There are two 12 inch woofers facing down and two 10 inch units facing forward along with a pair of tweeters on ech side. I plugged in a tape deck today and was amazed at the sound! Only the "A" side (the 510) was putting out sound. The 30-A side was trying but I think there is a bad tube there. Both amps use two EL84's push pull I believe?? I am not very experienced in tube stuff but I think I would like to get this beauty going again! I would run a CD, a nice TT , and my KLH 18 tuner to it. What do you guys think? I hope to post a few pictures if things cooperate. Thanks! Franksta

Here's a look at the speaker a little closer.....says 220921 and maybe PIOR P6804? LS-789-103 or something close to that? Thanks for any info! Franksta

Nice Franksta !!!

I wish I could help ya with identifying the speakers, those blue woofers sort of remind me of some nice vintage Jensens... :scratch2:

Have any pics of the Garrard and the front of the console ???

I too was amazed at the sound of this little pp amp. I recently picked one up one the bay. I bought it for the tubes and iron but couldn't resist hooking up an old jensen I had laying around. That lead to hooking up a pair of Heresy's in paralell (the speaker post on the amp are labeled 2.5 ohms so this got me to 4). After changing out the 12at7 and adjusting the hum pots this thing kills me. Solid solid bass. I 'm wandering what is the deal with the 2.5 ohm output? Also what is the model on the aux. power amp to make stereo? I think I'll look for one. Thanks in advance and I love this forum allready. The one I usually read is kinda snooty if you don't work for nasa. :thmbsp:

I just found one of these to! Series 510 with the series 560 companion.
With All manuals,Turntable is a Garrard RC.121/Mk.II

Attachments

• IMAG0309.JPG
    IMAG0309.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 102
Thats the one. I haven't found the slave yet but I,m looking. Have you listened yet? I,m thinking why the bottom is so good (once I put some mullards in the gain sect.) on this amp must have something to do with the OPT and maybe the 2.5 ohm load rating? Mine is just brutal in the bass dept. on the Heresey's. It has me re-thinking mono. :scratch2: BTW I was looking at another 6BQ5 PP Fisher for a friend the other day (totally different model amp) and the OPT's were tiny as was the sound compared to the 510.

When i found these the companion worked but the main unit did not.I just got the 510 working.It had a bad output tube and the selector switch was messed up.
I dont know why the 510 has a different output impeadence than the 30A.The speakers look the same in each cab,box volume looks the same to.
Bass seems deep and solid .
I am going to set these up in my living room and see how they sound :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom