Realistic Nova 8 ... differences from B model and upgrades?

absolve2525

I just picked up a pair of these from a Craigslist ad after becoming aware of how great Realistic speakers can sound. I saw the thread for the 8B rebuild and im wondering how the regular 8 model compares. It seems to have the same drivers, aside from a cast frame woofer instead of the stamped metal version in the B model. I see some people are trying different tweeters such as an Alesis or Audax? Mine appear to be working fine, so im not in a hurry to replace tweeters yet. Im sure new crossover parts are mandatory though. Thanks for any input!

Also, i was wondering how taut the woofer cones should be - i know its a sealed design, but im still able to press the cones in fairly easily before they spring back into their normal positions. This is definitely a contrast to my mach 1s that are nearly rock solid when u try to press them inward. Is there an air leak? i sealed the back rca jacks and tightened all the drivers. maybe new gaskets are in order?

I don't know for certain but I wonder if these are similar to my Optimus 5's. (not B). You may be able to find more information in the old RAdio Shack catalog site. If they are similar to the 5's then the tweeter also gets the midrange signals. If you decide to replace it don't get the Alesis tweeters as they tend to distort the mid-range signals. I eventually went with a set of Vifa's the are rated to 1000K (which is where the woofer/mids crossover) and they work really well. Very smooth.

Thanks - what model Vifa tweeter are you using? I think we probably have the same speaker essentially. I'm enjoying the sound so far, even with the stock tweeters and old crossover parts inside. These woofers can definitely move some air!

The only thing you may need to do to the crossover is replace the capacitors. Find out the values (in µF and voltage) and order Dayton brand replacements of the same value on www.parts-express.com, and you'll be good.

As far as the cabinet seal, when you push the woofer in, does it spring back out fast? Or does it gradually move back to its original position?

I have Mach One's as well and they are an exceptionally stiff woofer (by design). Don't sweat it if the Nova woofer moves more freely.

Also, i was wondering how taut the woofer cones should be - i know its a sealed design, but im still able to press the cones in fairly easily before they spring back into their normal positions. This is definitely a contrast to my mach 1s that are nearly rock solid when u try to press them inward. Is there an air leak? i sealed the back rca jacks and tightened all the drivers. maybe new gaskets are in order?

Here is the model
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1026

I gave some thought to replacing the mids with these as well, but now I'm considering working Videolady's 8B mod into these.

I'd recommend replacing the capacitors in yours as well. Easy to do. It's surprising how nice these speakers are - very good woofers!

Thanks - what model Vifa tweeter are you using? I think we probably have the same speaker essentially. I'm enjoying the sound so far, even with the stock tweeters and old crossover parts inside. These woofers can definitely move some air!

You might post in the Nova 8B rebuild thread to ask your question about the mods if videolady doesn't see this thread. I thought he might have answered about the regular 8s in there abut not sure. If not, nice to keep all the questions about mods in one place for convenience of others instead of looking in several different threads.

I wouldn't use the mach 1s as an example for comparing surrounds, they are totally different woofers. Most woofers I have had have some excursion. If the surrounds don't show any cracks or holes and seem to be pliable and sound ok without any distortion then I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure about the Nova 8 but the Nova 8B had a coasted surround that doesn't rot like other speaker manufacturers of their day. My Optimus 5B which has the same woofer as the Nova 8B is firm but moves.

Thanks for the input - the woofers do sound fine, so im not going to worry about the seal issue at the moment. Those Vifa tweeters look very nice! Did you have to change the crossover to accomidate them, or did you just swap them out? I suppose with the level controls on the back, its easy to just dial in the right volume if they dont match exactly. Does anyone know crossover part values in the model 8? Should I consider switching to the 8B design or the upgraded Crossover mentioned in the other Nova 8B upgrade thread? Just wondering....

Really can't offer any tech help here, but my brother managed some Radio Shack store's year's ago and would sometime's help him out on late night work. We were alway's cranking music and the 8B's is what we were alway's using. Mach One's weren't even on the radar. It's been a few year's, so maybe wouldn't think the 8B's sounded that great now, but both my brother and I have been into audio for year's and know sound. Thinkin' you've got some pretty nice speaker's there.

Back
Top Bottom