• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Some people prefer a Technics SL-7 to the SL-10 - why?

eidling

Active Member
I was thinking about the fact that I've seen people state this preference more than once, but I am curious why they have that preference.

opinions?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have often wondered about this too. I have owned a 10 and it was an amazing bit of kit and much regret selling it. Never had any hands-on with a 7 so can't really compare. 10's here in the UK don't come up for sale very often and make good money.
 
Interesting question! I have an SL-7 already and have an SL-10 arriving in the next few days so will be able to make some sort of comparison. Assuming the SL-10 is working, that is.
 
i have a SL-10 and a recently acquired SL-7, and have been meaning to do the "shootout" for a while now. Having mostly listened to the SL-7 lately, i can only say at this point there is something very special and beguiling about it.
 
i have a SL-10 and a recently acquired SL-7, and have been meaning to do the "shootout" for a while now. Having mostly listened to the SL-7 lately, i can only say at this point there is something very special and beguiling about it.

Do you have the same arm on the two tables and a cartridge that you can swap back and forth?
 
It should be easy enough to swap the same p-mount cartridge between the two.
As far as the arms, are you familiar with the Technics linear trackers?
 
I have both and my initial impression is with similar carts the SL-7 sounds more neutral and open but needs attention to ensure the lid is damped by setting a book on it's forward section during play. It does not have the SL-10's convenient pre-play turn button for cleaning. Other than the tracking motor and belt all parts are different between the two and the SL-7 has the more massive and deader base/plinth. I think the sonic synergy of the SL-7 just came together better, it's a very decent automatic 'table worthy of a good 'P' mount cart.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom