Picked up a Nikko STA-9090

awise1961

I picked up a very nice looking Nikko STA-9090 while at a fleamarket over the weekend. I haven't plugged it in yet, but other than a small scratch on the front panel glass it looks almost new.
The seller knew nothing about it and said he was selling it for a friend of his that asked him to bring it to the fleamarket while he was going there.
I will put it on my bench tomorrow night and see how this thing goes.
Provided that everything checks out, what is this thing worth?
How does it compare overall to my Sansui G-7700.
The Nikko appears to weigh alomost as much as the Sansui.
Which would you rather have running a system?

Thanks, Al. Wise

It's a solid 65wpc receiver. That STA line was fairly rare, but Nikko stuff is generally undervalued. As for value, I'd say probably ~$100.

I don't know anything about Nikko, but I see 2 or 3 Nikko receivers for sale in my area about $65 to $110. However, these units have been for sale for a very long time. Appearantly they are about as easy to sell as a Timeshare (=next to impossible). So I don't even give them the time of day.
That leads me to the question: Are they worth looking at even if I find one for $25 or less or are they a money pit?

Thanks for the replies.
I will give it a go and see how it sounds.
It appears to be quite a bit less powerful than my Sansui.

Al. Wise

I don't have that particular Nikko receiver but have two from the NR-x15 series. In my book, they are very underrated. I think the 9090 is the prettiest of the bunch.

Mine were built approx 1977-81. Yours is from an earlier series but not by much (there is a 9095 too). Both the 9090 and 9095 are rated at 65wpc. If my NR-815 @ 55/ch is any indication, I think you will find that your 9090 will sound more powerful than it is rated.

As someone previously mentioned, the Nikko receivers don't usually sell for much. As nice as yours looks, if it also turns out to be in good working condition, you might find some buying interest by listing it here on Barter Town.

Then again, once you hear it, it might very well turn out to be a keeper. Mine sure aren't going anywhere. Congrats on your find!

I am a big fan of the Nikko seperates, and think the NR x15 series are among the best looking recievers ever made. I think most Nikkos are up to the competition, but for a variety of reasons, they are not as widely sought after, so can be real bargains -- though, conversely, hard to sell.
But as to power -- if you are judging power by where the volume control is set, keep in mind that potentiometers can be wound in various ways, so that the control acts uniformly over the entire range, or has most of its action early on or later, depending. Obviously if cranking it up a little makes it very loud, that's impressive, but it means its much harder to set a specific level.

The volume pots on my Nikko receivers are stepped. But the steps are in relatively small increments and adjusting to a desired volume is fairly easy.

Back
Top Bottom