2270 Speaker Advice

sweatsuit

I'm looking for advice on pairing speakers with a 2270. I found a decent deal on some Paradigm Studio 60's. How do vintage Marantz receivers (particularly the 2270) do at powering new speakers?

New speakers, old speakers, all the same. That model has enough power to blow you out of the house. Make sure to put fuses in the speaker leads.

You can buy, at any electronics store or car stereo store, a fuse holder with wires. Connect that in series with your speakers. Calculate the fuse rating from Ohm's Law, assuming 8 Ohm speakers.

I will add to this thread.. I have a lead on some Pioneer HPM 100's to go with my 2270..would I need fuses as well?
going to get a listen this weekend.. been looking for some local HPM's for close to a year now.

I will add to this thread.. I have a lead on some Pioneer HPM 100's to go with my 2270..would I need fuses as well?
going to get a listen this weekend.. been looking for some local HPM's for close to a year now.

I just had some HPM 100's in my basement last night. I'm pretty sure they have fuses in them. I had them hooked up to my 2275 to compare to some Magnat's I was auditioning. I took the Magnats but I'm thinking of calling the guy back to bring the HPM100's back to audtion on my Pioneer SX-828.

It's almost impossible to answer your question because everyone likes different things. Every piece of gear will sound different with every different speaker and vise versa.

I look at it as an semi-subconscious experimental trip into audio synergy.

The 2270 has enough power and any decent speakers will sound good. Which will sound the best is really up to which you like the best with the music and volume level you prefer. The Pioneer HPM-100's would be a good place to start and if you don't like them you can send them to me. :D

Why do need to put fuses on them? Is that just to protect from running them too loud?

I picked up some JBL L-100's. Can someone help me calculate what fuse rating I should use with them?

IMHO:
Unless you are running the L-100's at insane volumes, and thus potentially clipping the 2270, there is no need to "fuse" your speakers with this receiver. You would be more likely to run into trouble with too little wattage (like a 2216, for example). Pushing the amp into clipping could result in DC current that can fry speakers. Your 2270 has plenty of headroom. Also, L-100's are pretty robust speakers!

i use a pair of polkaudio monitor 10s with my 2270. they can take the punishment of the 2270 at full tilt and they sound awsome!!, but paradigm is a good choice too, just make shure you wattage is good for the 2270, i was running a pair of sv-7II speakers with my 2270 and allmost caught them on fire!, so i use them with my model 18 now.

I'm looking for advice on pairing speakers with a 2270. I found a decent deal on some Paradigm Studio 60's. How do vintage Marantz receivers (particularly the 2270) do at powering new speakers?

I agree with Bob. In the German mag " Stereophonie" from i think 1974 the test result showed that it delivered 90 w/ 8 ohm and 140w/ 4 ohm. I have tried my own 2270 with a pair of Magnepan MG 2.7, and it played very well. The Maggis is a 4 ohm design with very low efficency.

for me, marantz receivers with like era Acoustic research or advent speakers are pure bliss....

running some recapped/refoamed AR18's and The Smaller Advent loudspeaker with my office 2230, and the sound is magnificent....

I'm running advents with mine . . . . . and it sounds awesome.
I tried some Dalhquist but they didn't sound as good (to me).
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom