Mystery Akai preamp.......PS 200C.

Cogsinister

Picked this up today with a couple of other bits (a Kenwood 205 power amp and its preamp)...

Anyone know anything about it ?

4898486990_76b6ce076e_b.jpg

4898487134_9df37d4375_b.jpg

4897892577_bc86c0ef10_b.jpg

Not fired her up yet....the insides were full of dust and cobwebs !!!

Lots of cleaning needed....

Looks great. From around '79-80 I believe as the knobs & lettering look identical to the ones on my AA-R40 receiver from that time frame. Keep posting all your great finds!!

Looks great. From around '79-80 I believe as the knobs & lettering look identical to the ones on my AA-R40 receiver from that time frame. Keep posting all your great finds!!

Yeah, as a teenager i had a new AM-U22 Akai integrated amp that had the same shape of volume control ect.....that would have been around 1980.

I was gonna say that it probably predates CD, seeing as how it does not have a dedicated input for the aforementionned medium.

az

The PS-200C (900$ CDN in 1981) replaced the PS-200 (650$ in 1980) as the top of the line preamp.

Well...............it works !!!!!

Sounds OK......not tried it on my main speakers yet.......but at least it works now all the spiders webs are gone and the controls have been Deoxited ....

nice preamp- very well made.
the Hitachi epoxy encapsulated twin reed relay can be a source of trouble- I've lost count of the number of dodgy ones I have had to remove/replace. The outer winding is potted in epoxy glue and it eats into the copper and/or the ends of the glass reeds inside resulting in erratic or no operation at all.

Potted & shielded transformer, lots of quality caps and plenty of shielding between boards - nice score. Any pics of the power amp (that I assume is now on your hunt list)?

Good combo with the Kenwood KM series power amp! I have 5 of them home! They are very good and powerful amps! It must sound good with the preamp!

nice preamp- very well made.
the Hitachi epoxy encapsulated twin reed relay can be a source of trouble- I've lost count of the number of dodgy ones I have had to remove/replace. The outer winding is potted in epoxy glue and it eats into the copper and/or the ends of the glass reeds inside resulting in erratic or no operation at all.

It seems to be ok up to now.....time will tell.....i have an Hitachi D-900 cassette deck with quite a few of those Green relays in it......ugh...

PS-200M, 220W/ch at 0.008% THD. A pure DC amp, frequency response was 0-100kHz ±0.2dB, 30kg. List price 1370$ in Canada, in 1981

There was also the PS-120M at 1150$, a 130W/ch

PS-200M, 220W/ch at 0.008% THD. A pure DC amp, frequency response was 0-100kHz ±0.2dB, 30kg. List price 1370$ in Canada, in 1981

There was also the PS-120M at 1150$, a 130W/ch

I wonder where the power amp went....the lady i got the pre amp off has no idea if her late husband ever had an Akai power amp.......

Back
Top Bottom