Anyone know anything about Fisher XP-18 President Series speakers?

Viridian

There is a pair of these available locally for $200 OBO and I'm wondering if it is worth the time of day to check them out. They look absolutely huge from the pics. The only thing I can find out about them is that they are some of the "better" speakers that Fisher made and that they have an 18" woofer. And I'm certain that they are tasty alnico flavored given the vintage.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Erik

3m53oc3l15Z15T05X5a88106c7176beac17c8.jpg

3m63o63l35U55P45S6a88133d4918eeff1ba7.jpg

I believe they use the same weak tweeters as the XP 10's an 12's, but are still very much worth looking at. The price is a bit steep, but if the cabinets an cloth are in good shape I'd go upwards of $150 for them; start at 125 an see what they say.

Thanks for your reply Mazlem. I have to say that I've been pretty satisfied with my vintage Pioneers and I'm not necessarily in the market for something this big, but you never know..... I mean, if they are "blow your socks off" good, then I'd be compelled to go look.

They may be amazing. I have read that Avery Fisher was very particular about his speakers, and that they are always very precise in the low end and controlled on top.

In my XP-55Bs (bookshelf speakers), that precise low end is fantastic, but the controlled top end needs a pretty serious treble boost from the amp's eq to be acceptable. That said, I love these speakers.

I would jump at those XP-18s for $100ish, but $200 seems a bit high. If he'd take $150 I'd seriously consider it. I honestly would love to hear that silky Fisher low end reach down to the frequencies a 18" could hit.

I heard a pair of those with replaced tweeters. Rich and warm, but no really hifi. Fun speakers for sure. Every old Fisher speaker I have heard has been a very nice sounding speaker. Very engaging.

I mean, if they are "blow your socks off" good, then I'd be compelled to go look.

I wouldn't expect 'blow your socks off' from these... more likely they'll be very 'inoffensive'... in a good way. Cabs are nice!

There was a pair of these at a local TS awhile ago for the same price... someone had tried to 'improve/update', :thumbsdn: ...so check what's inside before making any offer.:yes:

Thanks All, I've decided that a one hour drive is just too much, in spite of their possibly being very good. I have to say that my experience with Fisher has been very positive. My X-101 PP 6BQ5 amp sounds better than I would have ever imagined, the bass is more controlled than my very high damping factor SS pro amp. What a pleasant surprise. So, I'm sure that these speakers, paired with that amp would really be something.

Fisher president 18 speakers

I bought a pair for the $200 tag and they were well worth it. Especially when driven by a 500B tube receiver. The only thing I did do to them was replace the caps.
Not only are they a nice soft sounding speaker with nice highs and deep bass, they look beautiful when properly restored.

Back
Top Bottom