One big thumbs up for Howard's Restore-a-Finish

Puddintane

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Howard's Restore-a-Finish was recommended to me in another thread I started (see here). So I decided to give it a shot. Before using it on my New Large Advents (the subject of that other thread), I tested it first on some other speakers: some Pioneer CS-33s and CS-77s. Scratches weren't really the problem on the 33s, just a little ink on one and some crusty residue (from some kind of liquid, I think) on the other. I used 0000 steel wool and it did a great job on the 33s, removing all the ink (with a little extra elbow grease) and the crusty residue.

So today I tried it on the CS-77s. They had numerous significant water marks (they had been used as end tables by the young guy I bought them from). I used the steel wool as the applicator, and they too required a little elbow grease to get the water marks out. But the results were dramatic and, in my opinion, outstanding. I also applied one coat of Howard's Feed-n-Wax to both the 33s and the 77s, and I may try adding another (or more) to see how much a difference it makes.

But I couldn't be happier with the results as they are at this point. I don't know if they match "original color" (whatever that might have been forty years ago!). But I think they look great. And what's better is that this stuff couldn't be any easier to use. For relatively problem-free surfaces, it's literally wipe on and wipe off, and the difference is huge. And for heavy water marks (or other issues), it takes just a bit of extra rubbing to remove them. (The grills on these big Pioneers, what I guess are called "grate" style, are sure to be another story!).

And no, it didn't completely remove the deeper scratches from the wood (after all, there is no sanding involved), but they do even out the color and finish so that small scratches are hardly even noticeable. And it's said by others that while they darken the scratch somewhat at first, they even out a bit after a little time has passed. Here are some before/after pics of the CS-77s.

Here are some before pics showing the obvious water damage.

IMG_7037-1.jpg

IMG_7043-1.jpg

IMG_7044-1.jpg

Here are some taken after just the RAF treatment.

IMG_7051-1.jpg

IMG_7052-1.jpg

IMG_7055-1.jpg

And these are after one application of Feed-n-Wax.

IMG_7082-1.jpg

IMG_7094-1.jpg

IMG_7088-1.jpg

Awesome. I'm a huge fan of the howard's product line, didn't know it could do that though...pretty awesome

Awesome. I'm a huge fan of the howard's product line, didn't know it could do that though...pretty awesome

Yeah, seriously. I have GOT to try some of that on my Wharfedales. Judging from what he said, mine should come out awesome. Those look great.

I've seen quite a few restoration jobs (speakers, receivers, etc.) where it looks like they sanded down the wood, put on a stain finish, and then applied some kind of clearcoat. Never looks right, especially on something where the wood's got some mileage. I would think this would work better. Keep it more-original-looking. Certainly no clearcoat.

Last edited:
Looking good! I wish my camera battery wouldn't have been dead when I used that stuff on my 2AX's. It works great!

I second the RAF...

Wow, those look great. Nice job.
Wish I had taken before pics, but these Dynaco A25's looked very similar to yours...water stains and one speaker had been exposed to the sun for years while partially blocked by something and there was a perfect square of darker wood on the side of the cabinet...RAF is terrific.

BTW...I lightly sanded with 400 grit and applied RAF with 0000 steel wool.

img0215on.jpg

img0213pj.jpg

Last edited:
Make that 2 thumbs up for Howards Restore-A-Finish and Feed-N-Wax! that product is amazing and can bring almost any finish back from the dead

I bought some and tried on a late 40's Lesie I have. It is crazy the difference it made. I am a believer now!

I just used it for the first time yesterday. It was on a pair of KLH Model Twenties (see here). Mine were in worse shape to begin with, so they didn't come out as nice as the above, but good enough to make me a believer.

Last edited:
so does that finish last ? or does it soak in over night? I picked up some seriously beat up a-25s and it would be great if all they need is an application or two of this product. so do these results last?

so does that finish last ? or does it soak in over night? I picked up some seriously beat up a-25s and it would be great if all they need is an application or two of this product. so do these results last?

I don't know how long it lasts. But mine still look awesome today! And they feel nice and smooth with just a hint of reflectivity (as I prefer them to look), but not slick and shiny like a high polish. But I only used one coat of Feed-n-Wax. If by asking, "does it soak in overnight," you mean to ask if the look diminishes, it hasn't on mine. But others can surely answer better as to the long-term results.

Great results! :thmbsp::thmbsp:
I have been schilling for Howard's around here for awhile it has never failed to bring back anything I have tried it on.

Back
Top Bottom