Coconuts 500
Active Member
This is the Expert TA-940. A forgotten Marantz receiver as if taken right out of the 22xx series (NOT to be confused with the 80's Marantz SR-940 model!). It sounds like it, it's built like it, but it doesn't (really) look like it - on the outside. The inside tells another story.
It's a 25wpc receiver (at 8 ohms, 27-33 for 4 ohm). Its got a rather nice wood case. I believe it the whole thing was built in 1978. There was also a higher model, named TA960. I don't have that.
And now for some pics!
Some of the lights are out. I might have to talk to dwojo about that.
The tuning wheel is very heavy, just like on a real Marantz.
Front in better light. Note that you cannot enable both main and remote speakers simultaneously...
...Or can you? Notice that Quadraphase switch on the back? I have never tried that.
Nude pic! Looks like any old Marantz, doesn't it? :thmbsp:
That transformer is very large! See those two gold caps on the psu board? Looks like a previous owner has done some repairs on this one. The filter caps are supposed to be 2x 4700uF, but they have coupled up two 2200uF ones as a replacement. And the original one beside it has certainly seen better days! This receiver is in a serious need of a recap!
Another angle. You can almost see the output transistors on this one.
And what do you know? There they are!
It's a 25wpc receiver (at 8 ohms, 27-33 for 4 ohm). Its got a rather nice wood case. I believe it the whole thing was built in 1978. There was also a higher model, named TA960. I don't have that.
And now for some pics!
Some of the lights are out. I might have to talk to dwojo about that.
Front in better light. Note that you cannot enable both main and remote speakers simultaneously...
...Or can you? Notice that Quadraphase switch on the back? I have never tried that.
Nude pic! Looks like any old Marantz, doesn't it? :thmbsp:
That transformer is very large! See those two gold caps on the psu board? Looks like a previous owner has done some repairs on this one. The filter caps are supposed to be 2x 4700uF, but they have coupled up two 2200uF ones as a replacement. And the original one beside it has certainly seen better days! This receiver is in a serious need of a recap!
Another angle. You can almost see the output transistors on this one.
And what do you know? There they are!
