My DIY Record Cleaning Machine

squeegy200

The exorbitant price of record cleaning machines compelled me to fabricate my own. The thought of a $500-1000+ LP cleaning machine is just plain silly. I cannot comprehend the idea of spending the equivalent of a house payment for an accessory. Surely there are better uses for that much money.

In an effort to subvert the profiteers, I stumbled across the cleaning arm of that very same $1000 cleaning machine and purchased it for $65. Then set about to fabricate the functional parts of that very machine.
Here's what I conjured up in a single afternoon.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

The last shot doesn't show what you are using to keep the moisture out of the vacuum. Some sort of double holed canister?

BTW, that is the same pump I use to blow dust out of my components. Who woulda thunk?

Very nice, Squeegy! I'll add this thread to the DIY RCM resource thread.

I agree with Mark - do you have a buffer canister between the nozzle and the vacuum pump for the moisture to collect?

I've operated it without a buffer canister for over a year now. That's not a very wise way to operate a vacuum. I have therefore begun fabricating a buffer canister using simple 2.5" PVC tubing which is suspended underneath the platter.

I also thought that a remote switch and some doors would finish off the final product.

Is there a motor for the platter? I sold the Record Doctor (Nitty Gritty) manual RCM due to having to manually turn the LP. It was just too slow and cumbersom. The results were decent though.

You had this for over a year and are just posting it? Is your source for the wand apparatus still available?

Diy rcm

Looking at it again it shouldn be easier than the Record Doctor to manually spin the turntable platter which is much larger and better balanced. Great job and it looks very nice. Looks like a VPI wand to me. What does the air pump cost?

Yes, it's the VPI wand. I believe I got mine from Audio Advisor (on-line).

VPI also sells the want separately, as a parts/replacement/spare item. The last time I checked, I think it was no more than what you paid for it. I don't remember if that was the complete assembly, though, or just part of it; the whole assembly may have been more(?).

Very nice job you did there on the RCM. :thmbsp: Certainly cheaper than buying one! :yes:

Amazing what lengths some will go thru for vinyl. Nice work! :thmbsp:

I figure if my sink method can't do the trick, i'll just look for a better copy. They always seem to come up sooner or later if i keep it in mind. Audio karma at work i guess.

I have checked online and don't find the complete arm assembly anywhere........if you can give specific part #'s I'll email the company.....getting the piece that actually holds the tube is critical for a good fit.

My DIY RCM

Now if you had a heavy duty motor connected to the platter you would be full auto with that RCM. The design (open) of your RCM elliminates any issues of a motor overheating as in the closed box designs of VPI/Nitty Gritty that don't use a fan. This is an excellent design where space for the RCM/table isn't an issue. Looks like you have the skills to pull it off, go for it. Leave it to an AK member to come up with something like this. This will put a RCM within reach of a lot of AK members who couldn't afford one up to now.

Nice machine! It is impressive what can be done with radiator hoses today.

Very nice, Squeegy! I'll add this thread to the DIY RCM resource thread.

I agree with Mark - do you have a buffer canister between the nozzle and the vacuum pump for the moisture to collect?

How about a link to the DIY RCM resource thread? I want to post it elsewhere on the net.

Thanks.

Rough Parts list

how much did it cost to build and what did you use (exact part list)

Don provided a good source for the VPI cleaning wand. Mine included the spring loaded based which is what makes this project so easy to achieve. The wand us the upgrade kit and costs around $65-70 online.

The cabinet was simply melamine covered MDF which is available at any home improvement center. I wanted to be able to wipe any cleaning solution that might spill during operation. But simple MDF or wood is perfectly acceptable--more inline with the Nitty Gritty look. I simply cut pieces to size on a table saw and then assembled using simple wood screws. I was very informal on the dimensions paying little attention other than the top piece which had to accommodate a full size LP platter and the vacuum wand.

The platter and spindle bearing were sourced from an old NAD turntable I had in the parts bin. I've discovered over the years that many Fisher, Pioneer, Technics, and NAD belt driven turntables actually use this very same aluminum platter, spindle and bearing. Therefore, choose your source. There are a plethora of these in garage sales and thrift stores for pennies.

I contemplated the direct drive option to drive the platter while cleaning. I'm not confident a belt driven system would have enough torque to turn the platter while being vacuumed. A high torque Direct Drive might work. That definitely merits further exploration. Single switch operation would just make this project even better.

The Radiator hose below the wand is simply a VW heater hose that I was about to discard. It was the correct inside diamter for the VPI wand and I used zip ties to fasten it to the vacuum wand. I'm sure clear vinyl hose from the Home Center would suffice just as well.

The air pump is one that is used to inflate air beds or inflatable pool toys. There is an exhaust and an intake side and the hose is interchangeable to either side. I believe these are under $20 when purchased new from someplace like Target or Walmart. But I see this very same air pump at garage sales and thrift stores. I picked mine up for ~$2.00 There is an On/Off switch on the top which works well for this application.

At present I apply cleaning solution to the LP using a paint brush, spin the platter to clean all of the grooves, then turn the wand onto the record surface and turn on the vacuum while continuing to spin the platter. This lifts the remaining solution and completely dries the LP surface.

Back
Top Bottom