Opinions on JVC JR-S100?

anathema

Hi,

I've been offered a JVC JR-S100 receiver in brilliant shape for ~$80. Mainly looking to use the phono input to listen to my vinyl via headphones, with a view to possibly upgrade to something better in a little while.

I listen to mainly jazz and classic rock - would this receiver rise to the occasion or am I better off just looking for something else to start with?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've been offered a JVC JR-S100 receiver in brilliant shape for ~$80. Mainly looking to use the phono input to listen to my vinyl via headphones, with a view to possibly upgrade to something better in a little while.

I listen to mainly jazz and classic rock - would this receiver rise to the occasion or am I better off just looking for something else to start with?

Thanks!

I have the JR-S501 120WPC. The JR- S100 is a much scaled down model, but I've never heard it. If it's anything like the s501, I think you would be happy with it. IMO, the s501 doesn't really color the sound that much, unless you kick in the SAE EQ (Which I see the s-100 doesnt have).
Very good build quality, and the look will grow on you. Not as flashy as some of the other guys out there, but then again you have a quality recviever with a very unique look.
That being said, I think $80 for a BOTL reciever that is not very popular (from what I've read; even though it's high quality) is abit steep. I only paid $60.00 for mine....

Check out this link
http://www.hifigoteborg.se/photo arkiv receivers/photo arkiv/JVC_JR_S100_detail.htm

Lots of pics of your receiver and others in the JVC SR line.
I attached some pics om my S-501... and your S100.
I know iknow! Please forgive the painters tape... I dont want anyone pushing and clicking every button to find the tv/CD/ipod inputs!

Attachments

• DSC01986.jpg
    DSC01986.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC01985.jpg
    DSC01985.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01987.jpg
    DSC01987.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 69
  • JVC_JR_S100_800.jpg
    JVC_JR_S100_800.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC01984.jpg
    DSC01984.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 77
I have two JR-s61's and while they might not be a powerhouse they are very well built, have a fine tuner and sound just fine. Oh, and you can find tons of JVC stuff pretty cheap, but I have noticed some of the prices starting to climb for JVC's on eBay. I guess people are finding out what I and a few others already know. The S100 is newer, but I imagine it's still good JVC quality.

I have the TOTL JR-S600 and a mid-line JR-S300 (recent addition needs a relay switch) and there was no discernable difference in sound quality on FM. Haven`t done much comparing beyond that as the 300 needs a little work, but IMO the entire JVC line from that era are real sleepers.

I really don't like the look of them, but I've actually read great things about them for sound quality, but for the money hes asking you could find something better

I really don't like the look of them, but I've actually read great things about them for sound quality, but for the money hes asking you could find something better

I agree that the price is a little higher then the "normal" going price for JVC gear, but like I said, eBay prices are starting to climb on good JVC stuff. You might not like eBay, but it's a good way to get an idea of what something is really worth. On the looks thing? I like the looks of my JVC JR-S61W just fine. All knobs, push buttons and no led lights. If I were home I'd post a pic, but I'm up to my cottage. :music:JohnW

Last edited:
If I recall, the 100 didn't have the equalizer. Other than that I always liked that series.

Back
Top Bottom