Sansui Six Stereo Receiver

Trance88

Vintage Furry
Hey gang,
I'm looking at getting a Sansui Six stereo receiver from craigslist. The guy wants 70 bucks for the thing. I asked $35. Is this receiver really worth as much as this guy wants?:sigh:

Hey gang,
I'm looking at getting a Sansui Six stereo receiver from craigslist. The guy wants 70 bucks for the thing. I asked $35. Is this receiver really worth as much as this guy wants?:sigh:

in Europe it goes between 150 and 220$ usually... 70 bucks should be ok for cl if in good condition.

Yes, he claims it is in good condition. I don't really plan on spending that kind of money for a +35 year old receiver though.:sigh:

they are usually better than all the Junk you get for the same money new today... wich will probably not get 10yrs old :nono:
Otherwise I find 70 bucks for a good Receiver more then cheap. Peple spend much more without thinking about for a mobile or an ipod what is real junk a year later.

my best gear is 10 years older...

Last edited:
You want black plastic crap, buy something else. Unless this "thing" is from the 80's, you'll be hard-pressed to find something better. Pick it up. If it's heavy then you know it's well built. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's no good. Hang here for any length of time and you'll realize that the old stuff is usually the best. Or buy BPC, more vintage goodies for us who appreciate!

I own a Sui Receiver Seven in pristine condition. I paid $70 for it over a year ago. It's easily worth twice that. Solid performer! Can't go wrong with old Sui. Get the Six, even if you have to pay $70. I never respond to lowballers when selling stuff.

Great info everyone. Yeah, I understand how well built these vintage units are, the number one reason I'm into vintage. I understand that because these units are built so well and sound so good are more than likely why these old beasts hold their value. I just keep having this mindset that because this stuff is so old I should be able to get it for little to nothing.

I re-read the ad and noticed he says it also comes with the extra expandable items that come with it such as the 4 channel converter and Noise reduction system so yeah, I shouldn't be surprised he wants so much for it.

Last edited:
Just because some find things for next to nothing doesnt imply , by virtue of us reading about it here, that we have the genetic predisposition of doing the same 100% of the time. Sometimes we are lucky, sometimes we have to pay a going price.
Sure, you can bide your time and maybe run across one for 35 someday, or maybe not. Bottom line is fair money is fair money..if $70 seems alot, then dont answer the ad.
As far as hurting ones feelings paying out such a price for older gear..take a look at what that sold for when it was new,think about that for a minute...now take a hard look at what you will pay for new equipment that is of the same quality now (if you can find it). I wont even get into inflation rates.

Just because some find things for next to nothing doesnt imply , by virtue of us reading about it here, that we have the genetic predisposition of doing the same 100% of the time. Sometimes we are lucky, sometimes we have to pay a going price.
Sure, you can bide your time and maybe run across one for 35 someday, or maybe not. Bottom line is fair money is fair money..if $70 seems alot, then dont answer the ad.
As far as hurting ones feelings paying out such a price for older gear..take a look at what that sold for when it was new,think about that for a minute...now take a hard look at what you will pay for new equipment that is of the same quality now (if you can find it). I wont even get into inflation rates.

Good advice."Fair money is fair money". $70 is quite fair.

Sansui 6 receiver

Hey gang,

If it still works it's worth every penny of $70. I have one that still works very well. Had in the past taken in to a repair shop and analyzed. The shop guy told me the amplifier had very good performance with unusually low distortion. I bought it new in 1974 for $400-later bought pair of Radio Shack's "Nova 6" speakers-they are walnut veneered finish-look and SOUND very nice! Matches the walnut finish of the Sansui 6 nicely. We have driven this very hard during a lot of parties in the day-(lots of Grateful Dead!)-only problem encountered was tweeters blew on speakers. Replaced with stronger units. If the guy lets you have it for $35-you are getting a steal of a deal. It's worth the 70

Those single digit series receivers are built like tanks. My very first piece of good equipment was an Eight Deluxe in 1973, and I still have it(along with another and a Seven). Though the Six has the least power of the 3 in that series, if it sounds anything like it's big brothers, you'll be pretty impressed......

You should also confirm if there is an actual 4 channel adapter and noise reduction unit, or if he's just describing some of the inputs, which are considerable.

I have considered buying a Six just to complete the series collection, and think the price is fair if it's in working condition.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom