Good Bass Reference Songs

Promo

What songs do you all use to test the bass response on speakers?
I use these to make sure the woofers or subs can go all the way down:
Grand Funk Railroad - Mr. Limousine Driver
Dollar - Who Were You With In the Moonlight?
Bee Gees - Nights On Broadway

"Burn Down The Mission" from "Tumbleweed Connection" by Elton John
"Underwater" from "Breathe" by Midnight Oil

"The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel

That song stretches the pleated woofers on my HPM 100's pretty good! :yes:

Retro

"Way Down Deep" by Jennifer Warnes, on her CD "The Hunter". Unbelievable 'percussion' (for lack of a better word) and well-recorded.

Also a good 'torture test' for systems: "Three o'clock Blues" on the BB King/Eric Clapton CD "Riding with the King".

Anything from Bruce Hornsby's live 2-CD set "Here Come the Noisemakers". It sounds like a live Hornsby concert -- quite similar to the Grateful Dead in tonal quality and mix -- and places a high emphasis on being able to resolve bass complexity.

I dig it. :smoke:

i had forgotten a good one,

"Time" from "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd

Last edited:
the Who ---MAGIC BUS
WEST, Bruce + Laing---THE DOCTOR
COLD BLOOD---I JUST WANT TO MAKE LOVE TO YOU

"Hot Fun", Stanley Clark, School Days will definitely test low end response. Step back and watch those woofs jump!

Andrew

Vangelis Jerusalem, Battlestar Galatica from Time Warp, the first one has an organ that is sweet if your speaker can produce it , the second one its opening is so powerfull it breaks many speakers if played loud.

Last edited:
bass

the E. Power Biggs Bach's Organ Works... sensational, also Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man

I also like Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. Play track 4 from the "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" cd. It's the title track. It will also give your woofers a workout.
I can rattle my walls with my HPM-100's with less than 3 watts and tone contols "off". Very low bass.

Ther are other songs also on the cd that will make your woofers slap you in the chest. Pretty awesome. They will definitely catch you off guard if your not familiar with the cd and you turn up the volume some. Definitely try it.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Last edited:
runnin with the devil by van-halen,,, really test the accuracy in the first minute or so,,with a strong bass line to start

Promo said:
What songs do you all use to test the bass response on speakers?
I use these to make sure the woofers or subs can go all the way down:
Grand Funk Railroad - Mr. Limousine Driver
Dollar - Who Were You With In the Moonlight?
Bee Gees - Nights On Broadway

Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-2646253-0258535?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palace/5216/Rooftops.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palace/5216/

No Doubt - It's My Life. The drums and bass riff throughout the song show up any weaknesses in my present system-in-flux... especially when I have the amp turned up to like 11 o'clock and my KEFs are singing at full voice.:thmbsp:

Just make sure it's a full-bore CD track. Even an MP3 ripped at 320kB/sec will have degradation and distortion in the bass, and the highs in the vocals and snares and cymbals will really suffer. Believe me, I know.:thumbsdn:

Tom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom