jbl l-65

ojom

Anyone know what is being asked of the woofer in the L65's as far as frequency range? Also, what the power handling specs are for the LE-5-5, furthermore, the max power handling for the crossover? I know the specs for the speaker are 200 watts max, but is that peak?

JBL Consumer Tech Sheet Links

There's three variations of L65. Each used a different woofer, so if you know which woofer you've got you can deduce which L65 variant.
The foil decal would probably say "Model: L65" on all three flavors. The "A" or "B" designator typically appears after the serial number.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do for them is get them off the ground. I have mine raised about 18 inches off the floor and they sound and image much better. The xover is 1000Hz and 6500Hz. I like mine a lot, but it took me a while to get them to sound right in my room. They get quite loud even with modest amps. I've driven them with everything from an HK PM645 45wpc integrated to a Pioneer Elite C91/M91 at 200wpc. Currently, they are on an Onkyo 5.1 receiver doing HT duty.

People seem to dislike the L65, but I find it to be much, much more refined than the L100. Its odd size seems to garner most of the complaints together with its somewhat inflated price on that site.

Last edited:
I love mine. The midrange can be a bit intense on these. I found that adjusting the attenuator resulted in information lost. My solution was to recap with vintage PIO caps. That smoothed out the mids nicely. They are now amongst my favorites, and the tweeter is very special, very creamy.

I have mine about 12 inches off the ground. I made a pair of stands out a a discarded pair of speaker boxes. I sealed them, filled with sand, spiked, and slapped a slab of granite on them.

I am asking because I have a pair of l-65 cabinets..in fairly rough shape. Woofers and tweeters gone. Empty cabinets except for the midrange drivers and crossovers. I thought rather than parting them out, and chucking the boxes, I would install prosound woofers and knockoff bullets and use them for DJ monitors. I know some would scream..but I think it would be a good second life for these old girls.

I was asking about the woofers because I know in the L-100's the woofer ran fullrange. I also think that the crossover could be a touch delicate for this job.

BTW When I say the woofers and tweeters are gone I mean GONE as in not here.

Oh I see. I think you'll have a tough time using other drivers without changing the crossover. 3-ways are tricky in general. Maybe parting out and converting the baffle for a good 2-way speaker for DJ use would be best for a second-life option, ala econowave.

Ew

Oh I see. I think you'll have a tough time using other drivers without changing the crossover. 3-ways are tricky in general. Maybe parting out and converting the baffle for a good 2-way speaker for DJ use would be best for a second-life option, ala econowave.

+1 on the Ewave. Save your money on the aftermarket bullets, you won't need them with the D220Ti or the D2500Ti driver. The Ewave crossover can be beefed up just by putting higher wattage resistors in it, several I've built have 25 Watt vs. 10 Watt and handle any amount of power, up to the limit of the woofer at least.

I like the 077/2405 slot a lot more than even real bullets (075/2402), they match the dispersion pattern of the Ewave top, but I've never felt a need to add them. I do use them with my 2" drivers (2445 or 3446), and they will take all you can give them, night after night:music:.

+1 on the Ewave. Save your money on the aftermarket bullets, you won't need them with the D220Ti or the D2500Ti driver. The Ewave crossover can be beefed up just by putting higher wattage resistors in it, several I've built have 25 Watt vs. 10 Watt and handle any amount of power, up to the limit of the woofer at least.

I like the 077/2405 slot a lot more than even real bullets (075/2402), they match the dispersion pattern of the Ewave top, but I've never felt a need to add them. I do use them with my 2" drivers (2445 or 3446), and they will take all you can give them, night after night:music:.

Thanks for all the new info. When you say you do use the slots with your 2" drivers-can you expand on this? What cabinets what config. etc..

He is referring to the JBL 2445 and 2446 compression drivers. They have a 2" throat and they will only get to about 10khz.

Oh ok in a three-way I suppose. Whats the low cross for that horn, more or less (I know it's somewhat woofer dependant)?

Its a compression driver, the horn will probably limit low freq extension as much as the driver. I've seen them crossed as low as 300hz in a home environment.

Ok so I have installed an Eminence Kappa Pro 12" into my L-65 cabinets, I have also wired the knockoff bullets(Heavy Duty Titanium Super Tweeter TW47 ) all from P.E.. I am using the stock Le5-5 mid.

The sound...certainly there is more bass than the Pioneers I was listening to, certainly not as much bass as my AR3's though. The tweeter is very nice creamy is a good description....simply clear, icy. All the drivers seem to be playing nice with the crossover as is. Overall I love the sound, balanced enough, no standout efficiency problems, this woofer sounds very smooth and seems to be a good choice so far.

The speaker sounds constrained with the stock L-65 port. When I removed the le25 tweeter I had plugged in there, and pulled out my wires and test ran the bullet, the bass improved very much, the woofer wants to breathe. So Iwould like to re-port this box. Breathing through the tweeters hole may be scintillating for the woofer, but hey she didn't ask him for that kind of attention.

So I was thinking two ports, a mirrored pair using the stock port location, and a twin on the other side. How do I figure this all out port length..woofer resonance...tuning frequency?

Ok so I have installed an Eminence Kappa Pro 12" into my L-65 cabinets,

WinISD does not have Eminence Kappa Pro 12" data in it. However, it has a Kappa 12". As I recall, a L65 cabinet was around 4 Cu Ft. If so, a Kappa 12" isn't a great choice for a woofer, but have no info on a "Kappa Pro 12".

I would guess, based on the Kappa 12, that the cabinet is actually tuned too low.. Which means your assessment is on the right track. However, this woofer does not appear capable of much, if anything below 50 Hz in any box..

Well I downloaded WinISD and I think it is very unuser-friendly. I could not get here nor there with it. I input all parameters...twice converting mm to m and so on and both times lost it all. Where is the 'heres how long to make your 3" port screen'? I made a test tone!

Enminence Kappa Pro 12A datasheet:

http://eminence.com/pdf/kappapro-12a.pdf

Concur with Cosmos- this woofer is pretty much out of there below 50 Hz. In a 2 cubic foot enclosure (about what the L65 is), you want about a 1.5" length single 3" port, to tune it to 50 Hz. For dual 3" ports, they need to be 5.25" long. WinISD definitely does recommend dual ports... to keep the port from making noise.

Though this is akin to closing the barn door after the horse has escaped... I'd have been inclined to use the Eminence Deltalite-II 2512, instead of the Kappa Pro 12. The guys in the Econowave thread have been using that woofer extensively. Seems to work well in about 2 cubic feet, tuned to 36Hz. Two 3" vents about 7.5" long per cabinet...

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon said it much clearer than I did. It just isn't a good choice for a woofer. Do you have anything else?

I bought the Kappas really to use in a prosound application, I was going to build a pair of DJ monitors. I thought I would use the l65 boxes rather than just starting out from scratch. How about JBL 2214h's?

It's rare to hear me say this, but I'd E'wave 'em. Use the woofer that Gordon recommended along with the Selenium D220ti driver and JBL PT waveguide. You'll end up with some pretty decent monitors I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom