• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Silver - Three years and many cartridges later, does it hold it's own?

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
A lot of you have now seen my little announcement in this forum that I've finally set up my turntable again, and I'm finally listening to vinyl again. And I am most pleased about that. :)

In the aforementioned thread I explained that, since it's been so long since I've used either of my turntables, I thought now would be the best time to go back to the Grado Silver - now the least expensive and in many ways worst performing of all my cartridges, save for the M97XE, but that's purely a backup cartridge. My logic was that what I was missing wouldn't be as clear in my memory after all this time.

This is not to disparage the Grado, it's up against serious competition. The list of things it does better than my Dynavector 10X5 is very short, and compared to the Benz Glider and ZYX Yatra, forget it, we're talking about a totally different class of cartridges and they leave the Silver in the dust in every way.

But I've said many times that I enjoy reading about peoples' experiences and thoughts on cartridges from ALL categories and price points. So it makes sense that I've retained an interest and even a small obsession with the Grado Silver. You see, I sold off my Grado Platinum a while back to help fund a new CD player (the horror!!!), but I don't think I'll ever sell the Silver. How does that make any sense, you ask? The Platinum was a great cartridge for me, it's imaging capabilities were beyond anything I'd heard at the time. But that particular wood-body Grado lacked (to my ears) the infamous "lush" midrange of the Prestige Series.

Colored? Yes. Accurate? No. Mind-blowing performance? Don't make me laugh. And yet, I happily pulled it out of it's box and installed it Thanksgiving night.

I put on The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Changes (see pictures of this and a million other things in my thread here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=335137). This record was not kept clean by its former owner, there was crackling a'plenty. Yet, even after a year of listening to jet black backgrounds on awesome CD players, the noise didn't bother me at all. What I did noticed right away was how palpable the instruments were - that's right, I said palpable, deal with it. :D It's the best way I know of to describe the closer connection to the music which vinyl can provide, under the right circumstances. Along with that were a relaxed, natural flow, and really no listening fatigue.

And that's the sort of thing most of us here know, and love, about vinyl. What stood out about the Grado Silver?

There's no question in my mind that the midrange in general is more present, so to speak, with this cartridge. The sound is warm. There's detail, although I know from past listening sessions with these records and better cartridges that a lot is being concealed. Still, it doesn't bother me.

Dynamics are strong. For example, Miles Davis' trumpet in Relaxin' has a hefty amount of tone color, if not the micro-detail information that makes it really sound like a trumpet is supposed to. The sound has some punch, some impact. It's engaging - and I think that's what I like about this cartridge.

It makes you wonder: What is a high-performance cartridge? I have to be honest, the ZYX and Benz cartridges I own are without question the best sounding cartridges I've heard, and at many points during their use I was privy to the best sound I've ever heard in my life. It was engaging. But these two cartridges go way beyond the abilities of the lowly Silver, as I've already explained. So is a high-performance cartridge only one that blows your mind? Is the fact that the Grado Silver is, IMO, musical, enough?

The answer is yes, to some extent. Sorry to disappoint you with a predictable ending. :smoke: When the stylus hits the first groove, and the music starts, it rocks my world. I may be a perfectionist when it comes to audio, never stopping, always looking ahead, but I know how to enjoy what I've got, and I know you're missing out on something if you don't occasionally indulge yourself in the few things that component A or B actually does well.

To wrap this up, I'll describe a couple other observations with the Silver. First, I don't think Grado cartridges track particularly well. The Platinum was the same way, and I bitched about it all the time. They also seem to have issues with sibilance. While better cartridges can smooth things out, the Grado will give SHHHHHomething different. But for whatever reason I'm noticing the sibilance issue a little less this time, and the Silver is doing just fine at keeping quiet - that is to say, it's not exaggerating surface noise, or whatever else it hits along the way. And please note that I'm listening with headphones.

Well, that's what I think. The Silver has acquitted itself admirably in some of the most important ways, not the least of which is an engaging, musical presentation. In a couple weeks I'll probably change over to the Dynavector 10X5, but until then, it's ice cream for me.

Dave

rsz_hpim2164.jpg


...
 
Register to hide this ad
Just a comment about Grado tracking. I use a Linn Ittok LVIII/2 arm, and Grados don't track particularly well in it. The Longhorn version from Audio by Van Alstine proved to track much better for me, becoming entirely satisfactory. Even better seems to be using a Grado in a damped arm. The only one I've owned is the arm in the Well Tempered Record Player, but that was a great match for the Green1, Blue1, and Statement Platinum1 cartridges I used on it--flawless tracking at 1.5 grams, well-controlled sibilants along with increased dynamics, resolution, and palpability.
 
I have the Silver1, no real issue with tracking. I do notice the sibilance but I can look past that pretty easily. I really enjoy my cart, it did take days of getting the set up just right, but I'm confident that its in just the right spot.

Mine is a P mount with adapter which was causing it to lean back slightly, fixed with a tiny cut wooden match stick, now it plays like a champ. I'm looking forward to the wooden body series next, maybe a Sonota :D
 
I have an older Grado, the ZF1, with no "+" mark on it. From what I gather, it's either a gold or silver. It came on the tt I got last year, and I've really enjoyed it. I grew up listening to a Shure, and most recently, before the Grado, I was using an older Audio Technica with a shibata stylus. From the first moment, however, I loved the Grado. Warm, musical, all that stuff, but no slouch in the detail department.

It came with a green stylus, but last summer I upgraded to a gold, and it made a big difference, in detail, inner groove distortion (now there's none) -- pretty much everything.

I will say that as a medium compliance cart, it wasn't a perfect match for my Sony PS-X6 arm, which is only 10.5g. It did some crazy movement on warped records. But a few weeks ago I added Herbie's tonearm stabilizer, and that has cleared up what was really the only problem with the Grado on my tt. The resonance issue, while not 100% gone, is 90% gone, which is fine. I think the extra mass, as well as the damping properties of the stabilizer, really helped.

I'm a Grado fan, absolutely.
 
I had the same experience with the Grado platinum. I found my Gold1 to be a lot more lush and musical. My current Sonata1 needed a good run in before it too became Grado lush. Its now my favorite cart.

After trying a lot of carts in the $200-$600 range, to me Grado carts epitomize the "analog/vinyl sound"...warm and musical.
 
A Grado Gold1 is next on my cart purchase list. Local shop has them for less than $200. Will prolly be bringing in some trade-in schwag for it too!
 
I was extremely lucky to get one with very low hours for $120! It came from a local dealer who had a customer demo it and then return it to upgrade to a higher model.
 
The Grado Grin

Sold hundreds of these back in the day - we used to call it the Grado Grin. For the dollars spent - these things are simply a pleasure.
I've never owned or spent any time listening to the more expensive wooden body carts - but the Prestige series still keep me smiling. I also like being able to afford replacing stylii every year or so without it being a budget blaster.
 
Hi Mr. Lin,

A nice write-up! I don't disapprove of your use of the word "palpable" and I respect the lens through which you write - each cartridge in its place is a nice place to start.

I moved up (over?) from my Gold to the 10x5 based on our discussions several months ago and have been more than happy. But your point, if I am reading correctly, and I totally agree with you, is that there is just something about that Grado sound and I do sometimes wish I had kept the Gold around to experience it - like having a few extra bottles of that special something you always love to come home to on a cold day to enjoy by the fire in the evening.

If I was to liken each to a wine, the 10x5 might be an expensive white Burgundy, lots of flavor, but crisp and clean with the perfect balance of fruit and oak and without any buttery finish. The Grado is perhaps a less expensive Pacific-Northwest red (perhaps a tannic Merlot/Cab. blend) with a strong nose, lots of body, and a pleasantly disproportionate balance of some flavors that help it mate beautifully with subtle dishes. Just as enjoyable, just as fun, but entirely different.

Eh?
 
Last edited:
Unknown Grado Cartridge

Sold hundreds of these back in the day.

I have two Grado cartridges. But, figuring out which model they are is confusing. The first is a G+ (brown body), which I put a Gold stylus on. But the other has "JG Grado" on the front and its body is made up of black plastic and silver-colored metal. I have no idea what it is. It came with a broken Black stuylus. So, not sure what stylus to put on it now. Probably put a Green on, but if it is a better cart, I would like to put a better stylus on it. Any recommendations, stonedeaf? Thanks much.
 
Mr. Lin (Dave) you just posted a couple time on my Green1 Prestige posting, and reading this... simply a pleasure. just an honest true response to experience, was a remarkable write up. and of course love what i am hearing about Grado, hope in the future i have great things to say as well!

but greatly well said and honest write up!
 
I use a Grado Gold1 on an SL-1200MK2, and it tracks the entire side just fine and sounds terrific.

I should just point out that the tracking issues are not too severe. It's mostly records that I believe are slightly damaged that cause problems. Specifically, there's the sibilance thing, getting worse toward the center of the record, and sometimes along with that the sound will thin out a bit.

When I first got my Glider one of my initial "Aha!" moments was playing records that had previously seemed to have serious issues with vocal sibilance. With the Glider, and even more so the ZYX Yatra, almost all of these problem records suddenly sounded fine. We all know why that is.

I had the same experience with the Grado platinum. I found my Gold1 to be a lot more lush and musical. My current Sonata1 needed a good run in before it too became Grado lush. Its now my favorite cart.

After trying a lot of carts in the $200-$600 range, to me Grado carts epitomize the "analog/vinyl sound"...warm and musical.

I've heard endless praise for the Sonata, and considered getting the low-output version for a while. But to be candid with everyone here, I'm officially addicted to MC cartridges, and as far as upgrade cartridges go, I intend to only buy LOMC cartridges in the future. The Platinum was a very nice cartridge with some entertaining strengths, but too many issues. The Silver - like I said, ice cream.

Hi Mr. Lin,

A nice write-up! I don't disapprove of your use of the word "palpable" and I respect the lens through which you write - each cartridge in its place is a nice place to start.

I moved up (over?) from my Gold to the 10x5 based on our discussions several months ago and have been more than happy. But your point, if I am reading correctly, and I totally agree with you, is that there is just something about that Grado sound and I do sometimes wish I had kept the Gold around to experience it - like having a few extra bottles of that special something you always love to come home to on a cold day to enjoy by the fire in the evening.

If I was to liken each to a wine, the 10x5 might be an expensive white Burgundy, lots of flavor, but crisp and clean with the perfect balance of fruit and oak and without any buttery finish. The Grado is perhaps a less expensive Pacific-Northwest red (perhaps a tannic Merlot/Cab. blend) with a strong nose, lots of body, and a pleasantly disproportionate balance of some flavors that help it mate beautifully with subtle dishes. Just as enjoyable, just as fun, but entirely different.

Eh?

Thanks for the thoughts, I think they do add something to this discussion by further exploring the little fascination we have with these things, even after moving on. Years ago, I often made the comment here that although I really liked my Dynavector 10X5, and it was clearly the superior performer, there were many days when I was simply in the mood for the Silver. When I sold my Benz MC20E2 H and Grado Platinum it never occurred to me that I should sell the Silver. This was partly because I wouldn't have gotten much money for it (and I have no idea how much life is left in this stylus, and I would never want to misrepresent something I'm selling), but there was also a sentimental attachment to it. Lots of good memories.

Mr. Lin (Dave) you just posted a couple time on my Green1 Prestige posting, and reading this... simply a pleasure. just an honest true response to experience, was a remarkable write up. and of course love what i am hearing about Grado, hope in the future i have great things to say as well!

but greatly well said and honest write up!

Thanks a lot! Yep, you're about to join the party. Just remember the finicky setup aspect of these things - so don't panic if it somehow sounds like crap at first. :D

I'll be back momentarily with a couple other thoughts and pictures.
 
But a few weeks ago I added Herbie's tonearm stabilizer, and that has cleared up what was really the only problem with the Grado on my tt.

You mean like this one? :D

rsz_hpim2331.jpg



I just put it on tonight after reading your comment, I'd forgotten that I have it. After adjusting the VTF I restarted the song I had just listened to without the damper on the tonearm - immediately audible improvement, very nice. The bass has tightened up considerably, there's more bass, and it even sounds like a bit of a veil has been pulled off the sonic "picture."

Another apparent mistake I made last night was installing these tubes:

rsz_hpim2316.jpg


If you know anything about tubes, you may know that Ei of former Yugoslavia had some quality control issues toward the end of the company's life, which I believe was something like 10 years ago - maybe longer?

Anyway, I bought these a long time ago and recall having noise issues with them in my Pro-Ject Tube Box II. Last night I decided to test them out in the 200C. Initially I thought it sounded good, but today when I began my session something didn't sound right, like it was muddy, and confused during complex musical passages. Frankly I was surprised they even fired up. :)

I switched over to these, which I prize highly:

rsz_1hpim2324.jpg


Mazda (France) 12AX7 chrome plates. Oh yeah, I forgot - these sound great but they tend to hum a little, particularly if anywhere near the power supply of the phono preamp.

Finally I plugged in a pair of genuine German Telefunken 12AX7s (sorry no picture), put on this Talk Talk album:

rsz_hpim2301.jpg


Which was very well recorded and mastered. During the intro of the first song, which is just the drum beat for about 30 seconds, the sound was so much better that at first I thought I had the wrong lp side! By better I mean all the qualities of the Silver I like were back, whereas before something just wasn't right.

So for now I've found a great combination with this cartridge.
 
Nice to hear the Silver pleases even after moving on to bigger and better things and thanks for sharing your comments.

Not the most accurate sounding cartridges still Grados even with all their colorations make me feel in touch with the music on an emotional rather than cerebral level and I have to agree lush and musical certainly come to the top of the list when I think of the Grado house sound.

Having not listened to the Gold1 or Silver1 for quite a while you've temped me to give it a whirl.
 
Nice to hear the Silver pleases even after moving on to bigger and better things and thanks for sharing your comments.

Not the most accurate sounding cartridges still Grados even with all their colorations make me feel in touch with the music on an emotional rather than cerebral level and I have to agree lush and musical certainly come to the top of the list when I think of the Grado house sound.

Having not listened to the Gold1 or Silver1 for quite a while you've temped me to give it a whirl.

Please let me know if you end up doing that Dave, I'd like to hear your reactions too.
 
Nice write-up(s), Mr Lin.

My time with a Grado Gold left me with the same views. If I had written them, it would read pretty much the same as your post. So thanks for saving me the typing.

It seems, as it usually does, to come down to a matter of preference and taste. At these price points, and arguably at every price point, all we can do is choose between compromises.

To me, a clear signal and the ability to hear into a recording are essential. I won't give them up for that Grado midband "grip" as juicy as it is. Although I complete understand why someone would become a Grado loyalist.

And, it brought a smile to my face when I logged on this morning and saw you have changed your avatar pic to the Grado. It kind of reminds me of a movie I watched recently, District 9, in which a guy inadvertently gets sprayed with some black fluid he finds in a space-alien's home. Then slowly, painfully, starts turning into an alien himself, first his left arm, then his shoulder, then his left eye until eventually....So Dave, I must ask, did you recently get sprayed with a little Grado juice?
 

Attachments

  • District 9.jpg
    District 9.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nice write-up(s), Mr Lin.

My time with a Grado Gold left me with the same views. If I had written them, it would read pretty much the same as your post. So thanks for saving me the typing.

It seems, as it usually does, to come down to a matter of preference and taste. At these price points, and arguably at every price point, all we can do is choose between compromises.

To me, a clear signal and the ability to hear into a recording are essential. I won't give them up for that Grado midband "grip" as juicy as it is. Although I complete understand why someone would become a Grado loyalist.

And, it brought a smile to my face when I logged on this morning and saw you have changed your avatar pic to the Grado. It kind of reminds me of a movie I watched recently, District 9, in which a guy inadvertently gets sprayed with some black fluid he finds in a space-alien's home. Then slowly, painfully, starts turning into an alien himself, first his left arm, then his shoulder, then his left eye until eventually....So Dave, I must ask, did you recently get sprayed with a little Grado juice?

Your point about choosing between compromises is especially salient. I've yet to meet a cart that does all things right. I'm a Grado guy now, but I know there are other translations of the material via other carts.
 
Dave I had some free time yesterday evening so mounted the Gold1 on the Technics SL-1210Mk2 and gave it a spin. It's been almost a week since last listening to vinyl and far longer since last listening to the Grado so the sound of other cartridges was not immediately present in my acoustic memory. First I listened to Tom Waits Swordfish Trombones and then Blue Nile Hats, I was struck with how realistic acoustic instruments sounded and how especially good the Grado was at reproducing vocals. The lush and liquidy midrange was present as I remembered but now seemed even more realistic using the Musical Fidelity VLPS phono stage which to my ears seems to compliment the Grado better than the Cambridge 640P.

Last up was Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet and the Grado projected a very wide and extremely deep soundstage with air and space around individual instruments, the resonant sound of wood, strings, winds etc. were all present and almost intoxicating. Closing my eyes it sounded like a real performance and I remembered why I like classical so much on the Grado.

I really enjoyed the Grado but remembered that direct comparison against other very good cartridges immediately revealed its limitations but I needed to hear again if it was still the case. So I reluctantly installed an ADC XLM MkII and later a Denon DL-110 for comparison and the differences were immediately apparent. The Grado despite all it's great qualities lacks the airy and 3-dimensional qualities of top of the line moving magnet and moving coil cartridges.

I still like the Grado very much and if it was the only cartridge I had, I'd be very happy with it, there's no other cartridge I've got that IMHO reproduces acoustic instruments or vocals as naturally.

So as Brett just nicely put, "...choose between compromises" I think I'll choose to leave the Gold1 on for a while longer.


Edit: Dualhead that album cover looks familiar...Tangerine Dream?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom