• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REGA RB 600...Need HELP!!!

ODYOFAEL

The Voice of Vintage HiFi
REGA RB 600...Azimuth...Need HELP!!!

What's wrong with this? I've tried raising and lowering the arm...still the same. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
rega005.jpg

rega007.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I assume you are concerned with the azimuth (lateral) leveling? Does it look like that with most of your records either side? The error is fairly slight compared to getting the arm pillar height wrong. Arm pillar height adjustment is to level the cart's top front-to-back with the record surface to have the correct VTA/VRA relevant to the cartridge maker's spec. You can also use the cart's rear to line up to it's reflection to make that adjustment. Azimuth adjustment is usually not required with an arm of that class but if so is done elsewhere. Make sure that the arm's pillar is parallel to the platter spindle, the arm may not be perfectly aligned with the platter due to a mounting error of some sort.
 
Yes- the azimuth looks off.

What adaptor plate are you using?

You may need to shim the adaptor plate or arm mount on one side.

Great deal on that arm, by the way.

The azimuth issue aside, how do you like the arm on this table?
 
Is the suspension level ?
They move together so I am assuming it will not make any difference.

Yes- the azimuth looks off.

What adaptor plate are you using?

You may need to shim the adaptor plate or arm mount on one side.

Great deal on that arm, by the way.

The azimuth issue aside, how do you like the arm on this table?
I used the original TD 125 armboard but used the blank side. (see pics). It came with a Mitchell VTA adjuster. I did try to play around with shims under the arm board but is this the proper way to solve this problem or is there an issue with the arm. I have installed a REGA RB 300 on my PROJECT 6.9 and did not encounter anything like this.:tears: Last 2 photos are measurements WITH NO spacers.
rega021.jpg

rega022.jpg

rega016.jpg

rega027.jpg

rega029.jpg

rega032.jpg

rega034.jpg

rega035.jpg

rega037.jpg
 
Pics with the arm at rest. A tripod was used in order not to mess up view angle.
rega038.jpg

rega039.jpg
 

Attachments

  • rega 039.jpg
    rega 039.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3
The issue is with the arm, a not uncommon one in fact. The usual fix is to shim the cartridge, but I read of one frustrated owner who hacked the arm just behind the shell and reglued it with proper azimuth using a dowel. The owner concluded the surgery also reduced the arm's well known tendency to ring.

In regards to this last point, you might want to explore a few of the tweaks levelled at this problem. The best ones are described in detail by Jeff Spall.
 
Last edited:
I disagree with it being the Arm. More than likely, a screwy, unlevel armboard.

Get yourself a small spirit level from Home Depot, and get to work!
Betcha that solves your problem. I'm seeing all sorts of oddball screw holding armboard. What's underneatth? Mark
 
I disagree with it being the Arm. More than likely, a screwy, unlevel armboard.
Perhaps, although the photos clearly suggest otherwise. Both Origin Live and Michell Engineering machine the underside of the shell to correct this well known deficiency when performing upgrades.
 
Last edited:
I disagree with it being the Arm. More than likely, a screwy, unlevel armboard.

Get yourself a small spirit level from Home Depot, and get to work!
Betcha that solves your problem. I'm seeing all sorts of oddball screw holding armboard. What's underneatth? Mark
I used the oposite side of the original armboard. The flat hex head screws are the original ones and are hel by wing nuts at the bottom and will not affect the level. The the spirit level...
Copyofrega038.jpg
 
Perhaps, although the photos clearly suggest otherwise. Both Origin Live and Michell Engineering machine the underside of the shell to correct this well known deficiency when performing upgrades.

Not a bad idea. Better than shims and spacers I would say.
 
Firstly, I wouldn't rely on a toothpick to get accurate measurements (the pointy ends are not cut the same every time). I'm sure you can find something around the home that is more accurate. Actually with the arm in the rest, you can use the level, unless you cut the ends of the toothpick.

Just a thought.

John
 
Firstly, I wouldn't rely on a toothpick to get accurate measurements (the pointy ends are not cut the same every time). I'm sure you can find something around the home that is more accurate. Actually with the arm in the rest, you can use the level, unless you cut the ends of the toothpick.

Just a thought.

John

Harry at VPI always suggested a Pencil Lead. Mark
 
I just realised that the RB251 thread is yours. Have you considered trying to modify the head of the arm with a very fine finishing file or something of the like? Run the head along the file.

It would be a slow and boring task, perhaps best done while watching TV. It would also require a sure fire method of guaging its level.
 
I guess I'll point out the obvious here... those are some nasty looking tool marks around the yoke of the bearing housing and on the stub/rear portion of the arm itself.

My guess is someone got a little over zealous with replacing the stub/counterweight with something like the Michell Tecnoweight.

Just sayin... that *might* have a bit to do with it... :D

rega016.jpg

rega022.jpg
 
I guess I'll point out the obvious here... those are some nasty looking tool marks around the yoke of the bearing housing and on the stub/rear portion of the arm itself.

My guess is someone got a little over zealous with replacing the stub/counterweight with something like the Michell Tecnoweight.

Just sayin... that *might* have a bit to do with it... :D

rega016.jpg

rega022.jpg
I checked. They are casting flaws.
 
Even the ones on the arm? I've never seen anything like that on dozens of Rega arms that have come through my hands over the decades... unless someone has wrapped the arm in a cloth and bit down on it with a pair of plyers. A few small burs here or there maybe along the casting seams from the factory, but nothing like that. It looks like there might be marks on the stub too. Did you buy it used?
 
Even the ones on the arm? I've never seen anything like that on dozens of Rega arms that have come through my hands over the decades... unless someone has wrapped the arm in a cloth and bit down on it with a pair of plyers. A few small burs here or there maybe along the casting seams from the factory, but nothing like that. It looks like there might be marks on the stub too. Did you buy it used?
They are just minor paint discoloration. No sign of any tool marks. Still smooth and has the original coating. I have fixed the problem though. And yes, I bought it used at AG. Will post pics later today.:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom