• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RSIIIB or Kappa 8.1 Series II

Ken D

New Member
Been reading up on vintage Infinity speakers over the last week. Looking to upgrade from my DQ10 speakers. Found on Seattle CL a couple of ads in last two days and need advice.

RSIIIB with woofers refoamed. Oak wood and grills in good shape. Asking $600

Kappa 8.1 Series II by original owner. Says he bought in 1996. Nothing has been done to woofers. He says surrounds are in great shape. Asking $500

My room is on small size @ 15 x 12. Listen in near field format. primarily jazz ( 75%) with some classical and rock.

Have Citation I preamp and Epicure M1 ( 125W ) high current amp. Would be willing to get 2nd amp if needed.

I live in Seattle so finding local versus having to have shipped is significant cost saving.

Thanks for any suggestions\comments.

Ken
 
Register to hide this ad
Been reading up on vintage Infinity speakers over the last week. Looking to upgrade from my DQ10 speakers. Found on Seattle CL a couple of ads in last two days and need advice.

RSIIIB with woofers refoamed. Oak wood and grills in good shape. Asking $600

Kappa 8.1 Series II by original owner. Says he bought in 1996. Nothing has been done to woofers. He says surrounds are in great shape. Asking $500

My room is on small size @ 15 x 12. Listen in near field format. primarily jazz ( 75%) with some classical and rock.

Have Citation I preamp and Epicure M1 ( 125W ) high current amp. Would be willing to get 2nd amp if needed.

I live in Seattle so finding local versus having to have shipped is significant cost saving.

Thanks for any suggestions\comments.

Ken

I'd go with the kappa 8...seems like a much better deal ( Usually go for more $$ ) and its a better speaker spec wise ...woofer refoams are easy to do and pretty cheap even when done professionally. They need good amplification but nothing like the earlier kappa's
 
Last edited:
As much as I love my RS-IIIa's, I'd probably have to vote for the Kappa 8.1's, too, especially since they are the cheaper of the two! Here is some information on the RS-IIIa/b's and the Kappa 8.1's (series I's) from the Infinity Classics site.
 
If the Kappa 8.1 speakers have not received any prolonged direct sun light the foams and other components should last a long time. Take my word for it; I have a pair of Kappa 7.1 that I bought around 1993 and they still look like new..........Everything is the way it came from the factory.....

I would also go for the Kappa 8.1
 
thanks to everyone for the quick and clear feedback.

I've sent email to Kappa seller. I'll post if I get the Kappa speakers.

Ken
 
The IIIb's are overpriced. Regardless of what the owner says, the woofers in the 8.1's should be refoamed if they are still original. 15+ years is asking a lot for a foam speaker surround.

Since I generally prefer a sealed-box design, I'd probably side with the IIIb's, but I'd have to give the 8.1's a serious listen before making a final choice.
 
I live in Seattle so finding local versus having to have shipped is significant cost saving.

Greetings from another Seattle Infinity fan. I assume you're looking at the ones for sale in Tacoma and Puyallup.

Do you have the ability to buy both, live with them for a while, and sell the pair that appeals to you the least? Just a thought.
 
There are differences between the # Kappa series (usually written online as Kappa #, but on the speaker ID plates, the number always appears first) and the Kappa #.1, with the ".1" suffix. I've always preferred the original (without .1 suffix) Kappa series, because based on the ones I've heard, they sound better. I've owned both types, and the ".1" types didn't stay long, but I still have a pair of (regular) 8 Kappas around. After getting rid of two of the ".1" series, I decided I wouldn't generally choose a "#.1" speaker over any of the earlier Infinities, including the RS IIIbs, and am surprised to see a general consensus here favoring that one. Maybe I should listen more carefully next time I see a .1 Kappa? I'm not implying that they are bad (they are not), but I don't think they are as good as the larger RS speakers --definitely not even close to the RS IIs.

Oh, and the link above is to the #.1i series. Are you sure that is the same thing the OP is referring to? Given how often Infinity has recycled names over the years, the actual change of adding a final "i" suffix suggests to me that they could be an entirely different series!
 
There are differences between the # Kappa series (usually written online as Kappa #, but on the speaker ID plates, the number always appears first) and the Kappa #.1, with the ".1" suffix. I've always preferred the original (without .1 suffix) Kappa series, because based on the ones I've heard, they sound better. I've owned both types, and the ".1" types didn't stay long, but I still have a pair of (regular) 8 Kappas around. After getting rid of two of the ".1" series, I decided I wouldn't generally choose a "#.1" speaker over any of the earlier Infinities, including the RS IIIbs, and am surprised to see a general consensus here favoring that one. Maybe I should listen more carefully next time I see a .1 Kappa? I'm not implying that they are bad (they are not), but I don't think they are as good as the larger RS speakers --definitely not even close to the RS IIs.

Oh, and the link above is to the #.1i series. Are you sure that is the same thing the OP is referring to? Given how often Infinity has recycled names over the years, the actual change of adding a final "i" suffix suggests to me that they could be an entirely different series!

You just missed a good discussion on this Kappa 1&2 topic...unfortunately it got cut short...
 
I bought the Kappa 8.1 Series 2. Both the speaker terminal plate and both tweeters were Series 2.

The surrounds of both woofer and mid base units are in great shape. The seller is extremely knowledgable speaker guy and I'm comfortable everything is operating in top form.

Need to get carpet floor spikes on them and expect the bass wiill tighen up and even better clarity.

Really happy with the decision. The speakers have had a chance to warm up and are sounding really good. I had pair of DQ10 for 2 weeks and I just could not get engaged with them. Took 2 cuts of a Stan Getz with Astrud and Jaoa Gilberto to know the Infinity were involving speakers.

Using:
Citation 1 preamp with Jim McShane mods
Epicure M1 power amp

Thanks again for all the input.

Ken
 
I bought the Kappa 8.1 Series 2. Both the speaker terminal plate and both tweeters were Series 2.

The surrounds of both woofer and mid base units are in great shape. The seller is extremely knowledgable speaker guy and I'm comfortable everything is operating in top form.

Need to get carpet floor spikes on them and expect the bass wiill tighen up and even better clarity.

Really happy with the decision. The speakers have had a chance to warm up and are sounding really good. I had pair of DQ10 for 2 weeks and I just could not get engaged with them. Took 2 cuts of a Stan Getz with Astrud and Jaoa Gilberto to know the Infinity were involving speakers.

Using:
Citation 1 preamp with Jim McShane mods
Epicure M1 power amp

Thanks again for all the input.

Ken

Congratulations!
Give Getz Aux Go Go a listen and tell us how Astrud:tresbon: sounds on a live recording:thmbsp:
 
I bought the Kappa 8.1 Series 2. Both the speaker terminal plate and both tweeters were Series 2.

The surrounds of both woofer and mid base units are in great shape. The seller is extremely knowledgable speaker guy and I'm comfortable everything is operating in top form.

Need to get carpet floor spikes on them and expect the bass wiill tighen up and even better clarity.

Really happy with the decision. The speakers have had a chance to warm up and are sounding really good. I had pair of DQ10 for 2 weeks and I just could not get engaged with them. Took 2 cuts of a Stan Getz with Astrud and Jaoa Gilberto to know the Infinity were involving speakers.

Using:
Citation 1 preamp with Jim McShane mods
Epicure M1 power amp

Thanks again for all the input.

Ken

Congratulations, and walcome in Infinity familly :) kappas 8.1/8.2 are most popular infinity and some people even say they are one of the best, and there are great construction as well :) Im powering my with vincent sv-233 (over 200w per channel) and they sounds georgous.

btw, could you help me in my topic? it will take you about 1-2 minutes
here is the link: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=342023
 
Last edited:
Congrats on the speakers. You would probably be kind of sick to the stomach (I know I would be) if having to pay today's prices for speakers that can do what any of the kappas (either series) can do.
 
Kappa 8.1 on youtube

First of all WELCOME to the family . Really glad you are enjoying them !
I have thier little brothers the k6.1
I have developed a bit of a "youtube habit" lately and have been cruising the utube audio speakers section . While I understand that you cannot get the full picture of what any given speaker sounds like through a you tube vid .
If any of you have good headphones { which I suspect MANY of you do .}
Its worth listening to the Kappa 8.1 videos there . . The one I listened to was pretty well recorded and through my trusty old bang and olufsen form 1 phones the k8.1s sound remarkable . REALLY FULL sounding . Just like the 6.1 , with more body . I feel pretty lucky to have the petite ones .
Mucho bang per buck
ENJOY !!!
Andrew
 
Back
Top Bottom