I Rebuild Marantz website

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHoward

Has anyone here ordered from this website. I placed an order with them on 11-26-2010 and after several attempts at contact have not heard any response back?? Very unprofessional in my opinion. Thanks Mike.

I have contacted them once to get a rebuild kit for my Marantz receiver but they were very slow in replying. I think I got e-mail back after over a month. Of course in the meantime I have ordered the parts from another source.

I think he had to relocate his shop a few times and maybe a few other personal issues. I've had a 2230 on his rebuild queue for 10 months and it hasn't moved up much. I'm concerned too but, will hang in there for a bit longer.

Its Too bad.

Wow! I am surprised others are experiencing the same issues. Its too bad. I think there would be huge support for a reliable operation. All Marantz gear seems to still be quite popular with strong demand. Mike.

Wow! I am surprised others are experiencing the same issues. Its too bad. I think there would be huge support for a reliable operation. All Marantz gear seems to still be quite popular with strong demand. Mike.

Thanks for reminding me.

I sent him a deposit to repair my 2285B in December of 2009. Haven't heard a thing from him since then.

I'm still 53 in his "queue". I requested a refund on my $100.00 this morning after seeing your post...

We'll see if he replies.
Sitting on peoples money for over a year (with no contact) is not a good way to do business IMHO.:no::no: and a big:thumbsdn:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accuphase.....P-300 amp / Sony TA2000 pre-amp
Classé..........Cap-151
HKardon........HK730 / 930
Holfi………..…..Integra 5.1 amp / Xara CD transport
Kenwood.......KA-907, KA-801 / KT-615
Luxman........R-1120
Marantz........2230, 2240B, 2250, 2270, 2285B, 2325, 4240, 4270, 4300, 4400
Nikko............Alpha II amp / Beta II pre-amp (Silver)
Onkyo...........M-508 Amp / Perreaux SX1 pre-amp
Parasound......HCA 2200II AMP / Sir Byrd passive pre-amp
Pioneer..........SA-9500II / TX 9500II, SX1250, SX1010, SX980, SX950, 9930
Rotel.............RB-991AMP / Acurus L10 pre-amp
Sansui...........9090 / 990DB / AU717
Sony.............TA-3200 amp / 2000F pre-amp (x2), STR-6065, 7065, STR-V7 (Coming Soon…)
Yamaha........CR-1020 / 2020 / 3020

DAC's............Music Hall 25.2,,Music Hall 25.3, PS Audio DLIII, Xindak 5,
....................Fubar IV, Firestone Audio TubeHead pre-amp

Speakers........Pioneer HPM-1500's, HPM-900's, Klipsch Forte II's,
………………..KG-2's, Infinity RS1000, JBL 4412A / S-38's, Ohm Model L,
....................Norman Labs Model 8's, "New" Large Advents & KEF 103.2's

I sent him a deposit to repair my 2285B in December of 2009. Haven't heard a thing from him since then.

I'm still 53 in his "queue". I requested a refund on my $100.00 this morning after seeing your post...

That is very unprofessional. And that is quite a queue. And c'mon...not a single advancement in over a year...something's a little odd there. Surely he'd have been able to complete one; or provide reasons otherwise.

Obviously there is a demand for quality service.

Hopefully you'll get your money back.

I was thinking if buying a kit too but I read many complaints about the site and I didn't buy. Whoever the owner of the site is, he is losing a lot.

Has anyone here ordered from this website. I placed an order with them on 11-26-2010 and after several attempts at contact have not heard any response back?? Very unprofessional in my opinion. Thanks Mike.

I ordered a 2265B from him on 26-Oct. I haven't got it yet but we've been in contact via E-mail - he's generally responsive but sometimes it takes a few days. He told me recently that he is working on it. He seems like a nice guy but who knows what's going on. I used to be self-employed and I know that it can get tedious and boring so I'm patient. Maybe he took a 9 - 5er and does this in his spare time now. I believe he does good work so I'm looking forward to getting the unit so I'll hang tight awhile longer.

Update

I received a positive email from Robert. He says he is "on it" and I should have my item shortly. Well see. Hope so! Mike.

Thanks for reminding me.

We'll see if he replies.
Sitting on peoples money for over a year (with no contact) is not a good way to do business IMHO.:no::no: and a big:thumbsdn:

Classé..........Cap-151
Luxman........R-1120
Sony.............TA-3200 amp / 2000F pre-amp (x2), STR-6065, 7065, STR-V7 (Coming Soon…)

If I was your tech, with the amount of expensive gear you list in your sig, I would be giving you good service and praying your gear would break so I could fix it (not to wish bad on you but so I could stay in work!)... You have an impressive list of stuff. I would stay on your good side to insure I could continue to be your first call for repairs.:music:

If I was your tech, with the amount of expensive gear you list in your sig, I would be giving you good service and praying your gear would break so I could fix it (not to wish bad on you but so I could stay in work!)... You have an impressive list of stuff. I would stay on your good side to insure I could continue to be your first call for repairs.:music:

Thanks Michael-

I wish the guy I was using locally in McKinney felt the same way. I paid him over 12K last year to restore my gear and recently found out that he took advantage of our friendship and started taking shortcuts, (like paralleling and series-ing caps on boards instead of installing correct ones, putting in mismatched outputs (or not checking them), not re-capping boards that he charged for and basically screwing me out of alot of money. Some of so-called re-capped boards were barely touched.

Several of my amps that he "restored" were not even been cleaned inside and in some cases new incorrect caps were just haphazardly sottered right over the old dirt on the boards. 3 of the amps /receivers have blown channels and many others have burned out lights because the replacements were incorrect values (or not replaced at all.)

I'm not a tech and trusted the guy & had no reason to doubt he was doing what he said he was doing until a couple of my amps blew channels and a friend of mine (who is a tech) was horrified (for me) to learn I had been paying this (expletive deleted) $300-500 per stereo to have him do the doo he did on me.

I am in the slow and painful process of having my collection re-done correctly
and my friend is just charging for parts and accepting meals as payment.

It was also quite a revelation to learn that all the small caps required to do most of my gear was readily available from mousers for about $20-30 per unit. (and larger ones for $25-70)

I have not had the best luck with my gear but so far all the ones that have been correctly redone are performing great.

Classé..........Cap-151
Luxman........R-1120

Last edited:
Sounds like he may be in over in head.Quality assurance aside there is still the matter of customer service.Number 53? Shees! Could be five years before anything happens.

I'm on his queue also...

I don't think it's accurate to say that Robert has had no contact with folks. He doesn't send individual emails to each customer with updates, but he has posted updates on his website. And I have found that he responds to my emails. My understanding is that, during the last year, he got divorced, and his father became ill and required care, and then he passed away. Robert had to move his shop twice as a result.

I have moved steadily down the list and it has taken a long time, but I can understand others not wanting to wait. I am sure he would honor a refund for folks who did not want to wait any longer. I look forward to seeing whether my confidence is well placed.

I don't think it's accurate to say that Robert has had no contact with folks. He doesn't send individual emails to each customer with updates, but he has posted updates on his website. And I have found that he responds to my emails. My understanding is that, during the last year, he got divorced, and his father became ill and required care, and then he passed away. Robert had to move his shop twice as a result.

I have moved steadily down the list and it has taken a long time, but I can understand others not wanting to wait. I am sure he would honor a refund for folks who did not want to wait any longer. I look forward to seeing whether my confidence is well placed.

Before I found AK, I had read up on the material found on the 'I Rebuild Marantz' website and had emailed Rob and gotten prompt and helpful suggestions, without any pressure to engage his services. He even forwarded an SM to me and told me I could donate for it (or not. As it went, I had just purchased one elsewhere, but I appreciated his trust).

Now, if I had money or a unit 'hostage', I would probably not be at all cavalier about it. But in all fairness, I don't think he's a crook, and it's possible the personal issues did happen.

I haven't gone to his website to review the updates. An open E-letter to your customers describing the recent hardships with a request for patience and a pledge to make good would be in order. A complete lack of communication would be very disconcerting to me, too.

Of course, we're all a bit spoiled here on AK by having some of the world's best techs and fellow audio enthusiasts donate their time and expertise to us via the forums and for free. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael-

I wish the guy I was using locally in McKinney felt the same way. I paid him over 12K last year to restore my gear and recently found out that he took advantage of our friendship and started taking shortcuts, (like paralleling and series-ing caps on boards instead of installing correct ones, putting in mismatched outputs (or not checking them), not re-capping boards that he charged for and basically screwing me out of alot of money. Some of so-called re-capped boards were barely touched.

Several of my amps that he "restored" were not even been cleaned inside and in some cases new incorrect caps were just haphazardly sottered right over the old dirt on the boards. 3 of the amps /receivers have blown channels and many others have burned out lights because the replacements were incorrect values (or not replaced at all.)

I'm not a tech and trusted the guy & had no reason to doubt he was doing what he said he was doing until a couple of my amps blew channels and a friend of mine (who is a tech) was horrified (for me) to learn I had been paying this (expletive deleted) $300-500 per stereo to have him do the doo he did on me.

I am in the slow and painful process of having my collection re-done correctly
and my friend is just charging for parts and accepting meals as payment.

It was also quite a revelation to learn that all the small caps required to do most of my gear was readily available from mousers for about $20-30 per unit. (and larger ones for $25-70)

I have not had the best luck with my gear but so far all the ones that have been correctly redone are performing great.

Classé..........Cap-151
Luxman........R-1120

I literally cry for you having heard how you were treated. I'm in a position where my tech is very skilled, and backed up with lots of repairs. I wish folks like this (super-talented but buried in work) would do troubleshooting and have a few mechanics on staff to do the electrical "grunt" work...It would make our lives much simpler, those of us who like it "right", done correctly, sounding as it should, and operating as long into the future as possible. What a miracle it would be if our gear could outlast us and we could just go happily to the next phase... :music: As for the comment about us here being spoiled, I'd hope to expect better customer service regardless of personal issues. An open letter as you describe would definitely be in order, if not more direct specific communications.

Last edited:
I received a positive email from Robert. He says he is "on it" and I should have my item shortly. Well see. Hope so! Mike.

Funny, I haven't visited in quite some time, and I was toying with have a
rebuild done on my 2275. I ran into this guys site, and yes, he emailed back
quickly. He was very upfront about the deal - "first come first serve, ante up
100 for your turn and no email contact, just website queue". Which is all fine
and dandy if that's what you agreed to in advance.

I just want to tag along here for a bit, I'd love to know if there have been
any positive experiences lately.

Barring that, is there anyone else in the Rhode Island (or Boston, Worcester
or Eastern Connecticut areas) that cames to mind as the go-to circuit head
for this type of full blown restoration as Robert advertises on his site. Shipping
to California and back costs some money, and it is a lot easier to deal locally
if there are issues like the ones that apparently are cropping up here. (I am
trying to avoid another 'Dr. Bass' type guy as we had on Talkbass - taking peoples
money and disappearing.)

I'd do this myself, but my cup runneth over...

Last edited:
Funny, I haven't visited in quite some time, and I was toying with have a
rebuild done on my 2275. I ran into this guys site, and yes, he emailed back
quickly. He was very upfront about the deal - first come first serve, ante up
100 for you turn and no email contact, just website queue. Which is all fine
and dandy if that's what you agreed to in advance.

I just want to tag along here for a bit, I'd love to know if there have been
any positive experiences lately.

Barring that, is there anyone else in the Rhode Island (or Boston, Worcester
or Eastern Connecticut areas) that cames to mind as the go-to circuit head
for this type of full blown restoration as Robert advertises on his site. Shipping
to California and back costs some money, and it is a lot easier to deal locally
if there are issues like the ones that apparently are cropping up here. (I am
trying to avoid another 'Dr. Bass' type guy as we had on Talkbass - taking peoples
money and disappearing.)

I'd do this myself, but my cup runneth over...

Emailed on Friday and it's now Monday night...still no reply.

I'm sure Robert's not a crook and means well, but if you're going to take people's money, then you sure better to respond to emails, call them back least make an attempt to contact them. (especially after a year has gone by)

We have all had out problems over the past couple of years (financial and personal) and my heart goes out to the guy. But if I blew all of my clients off
when I had personal issues and father got sick and passed away a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have them today.

He should have sent personal emails to the 100+ people who paid deposits in good faith to have their gear fixed. I was told it would be about 60-90 days wait for his services back in December of 2009.

I appreciate the good folks here sticking up for him, but I'm calling B**Sht on this one. There's no excuse for this nonsense and it's not about the $100.00. It's about integrity.

Rob had helped me with advice on my first Marantz a couple of years ago, he wasn't making any money off of me, but was very forthcoming with help on a little issue. Sounds like he has just had a lot on his plate and I can identify with that. Communication can go a long way to alleviating concerns so hopefully he will fix that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom