Best Blank CDR-CDR-RW for burning...

babeba67

Who has the best "Sound Quality" Blank CDR-CDR-RW cds?

Which brand do you have the most reliability with?

Up here in Canada I have found that Verbatim does a good job at least for me.....:)

If I'm going to use Lightscribe I use HP cd's. If I don't care about labels I use either Verbatim or Imation. Taiyo Yuden have never given me a coaster, but I can't find them locally so I have to order them online.

I've used every kind of CDR imaginable without any real problems and eventually would just buy whatever was the cheapest. Problems are usually due to issues with the burner or the computer, but I think the op is asking about sound quality. No noticable difference for me between brands.

CD-RWs aren't as reliable in my experience in terms of disc problems for storing data anyway as can't say that I'd ever burned music to one.

I've used every kind of CDR imaginable without any real problems and eventually would just buy whatever was the cheapest. Problems are usually due to issues with the burner or the computer, but I think the op is asking about sound quality. No noticable difference for me between brands.

CD-RWs aren't as reliable in my experience in terms of disc problems for storing data anyway as can't say that I'd ever burned music to one.

I've used all kinds and of the cheap sort, Imation has been trouble-free, while I've bought generics that have had 30-40% coaster rate with the same burner.

All discs are not alike. I think the sound of some Black CD R/W's is very good, but I've heard of, but not experienced, longevity problems. Some of the Gold discs are excellent, but more expensive.

The custom Gold discs are too pricey for me , but the one's that I've heard that have received the full treatment are great. UltraSonic bath with de-ionized water, balanced and trued on a lathe after being given an anti-resonant coating.

Best Regards,
TerryO

For CD-R media, MAM-A/MAM-E Gold Archive is best. And also, Taiyo Yuden/JVC CD-R is also recommended. On computers or on professional standalone recorders. For Music CD-R, Sony or Maxell is presently the only reliable media. For CD-RW media on computers or pro standalone recorders, Sony is best.

Personally after burning loads of CDs and DVDs I find that the ranking is as follows:
Absolute best: Taiyo Yuden premium CD (DVD as well) Not the value line, the premium line is what you want. (Also make sure your getting the real TYs and not fakes. Fakes are out there. Look at the cardboard lable disc at the top end of the pack. It should be in clear printing and in Japanese that denotes the real mccoy).

Second choice: Vertbatim

Third choice: There isn't one.

I've had good luck with Maxell. I bought a bunch of their "pro" CDRs and like them. I have no idea if they are any better then the normal ones or not. I've also been using the hell out of about four Fuji "Music" CDRWs with my Yamaha CD recorder and they have held up well and done a great job. I'm guessing that each one has been recorded on and erased between 75 and 100 times.
I burned a lot of concerts to CDR between 2005 and 2009 and found that the Maxells and HPs all survived(whenever I pull one out to listen). I've read people recommend Sony and I have to disagree. I used a lot of Sonys during that time and some are starting to flake apart, even under proper storage conditions. All the other brands are fine. I also left one of those CD wallets in my truck during the summer(dumb, I know) with about 24 burned CDs in it. The Sonys all stuck to the plastic in the wallet and flaked apart. The other brands didn't. I won't be using Sonys again.
As far as sound quality goes, I've never heard a difference, unless the burn went bad. I doubt those had much to do with the brand of media.

I buy Sony data CD-R and Music CD-R from Costco especially when they go on sale.
I use data CD-R for computer burning (using the slowest burning speed), Music CD-R for standalone CD-R burning.

I have tried Music TDK and Walgreen's Music CD-Rs. I have tried Maxell, Memorex, Verbatim data CD-Rs and I can't hear any sound quality difference.

So I usually use cost as the deciding factor.

My Sony recommendations are for Music CD-R for recorders which require them. Mine does not. If you want a standalone recorder, buy a professional machine and buy Tascam. None more reliable.

Are the Sony "music" CDRs any different(outside of the SCMS copyright payment issue) than the normal Sony CDRs? I don't think I've ever come across them. Then again, I haven't used a "music" CDR on my recorder in years. Just using CDRWs after I edit on the recorder's hard drive and moving those to my computer is easy, and cheaper than using the "music" discs.

I dont understand how you rate blank cd's. My understanding is that the only thing that really goes on them is a bunch of 0's and 1's. Digital code. Either they are being written on the disc or they are not. If they are not, the disc wont work. If they are, it will work. Where does a sound difference come into play?

In 12 years or so of writing CDRs, I have not found any differences in sound quality. Reliability, though....the worst I ever found were the house brand sold by CompUSA. Memorex comes as next worst. (and that holds true for everything Memorex.) It is not a Recorder brand problem with those..strictly poor quality CDRs. At any one time, I am using at least 5 different brands of writers, and all had trouble now and then with CompUSA and Memorex.

I have had good luck with HP, Fujifilm, Verbatim, Imation, TDK, Maxell, and to a lesser extent, Sony. Is best to check the documentation that came with your writer..sometimes they recommend the brands that work best with their equipment.

One other thing you need to know. A CDR can quit working, for no obvious reason. The surface can still look perfect, scratch free. I have seen this happen to 3 CDRs. (data, not sound) However, for some reason, Nero was able to copy one of them, and that copy is still working.

Back
Top Bottom