OHM Cam/Pro Speaker owners, a question?

UltraVintage

Addicted to the Vintage
First off, if you own a pair of this series of speakers or have heard them, you know how great they sound. I own the Cam/Pro 32 and the plug-in egg-shaped tweeter is IMO one of the nicest I have heard. Amazing, deep, accurate bass as well for such a small speaker.

My question concerns the plug-in tweeter. When listening to the speakers the bass will cause the tweeter to rotate around away from the desired forward direction. Has this happened to anyone else, and what is suggested to keep it in place?

I have not really seen posts where this line of speakers has been mentioned, does anyone here even own a pair?

I havent seen much on them either. There isnt many other frs owners either from what i have seen. I did see a single cam/pro for sale on ebay, but i missed the auction and the seller doesnt seem to have relisted it, or sold it. I was going to pick it up and use it for a center unless i could find a mate for it.

I have a pair of the cam/pro 42s. I have replaced both the mid drivers and the passive radiators with original ohm replacements. The sound was so good, I sold my JBL 100s. I have had no problem with the egg tweeters rotating. I have found that if you can get them off the floor, they sound much better. You also need about 100w to really make them sing.

I have a pair of the cam/pro 42s. I have replaced both the mid drivers and the passive radiators with original ohm replacements. The sound was so good, I sold my JBL 100s. I have had no problem with the egg tweeters rotating. I have found that if you can get them off the floor, they sound much better. You also need about 100w to really make them sing.

I thought the same thing after listening to them, so mine will be off the floor when I permanently position them in the living room (they are still in testing in the garage for now).
I am not sure why my tweeters are rotating then. Since there is no real way to tighten the connection, I guess I will have to put something unoticable around the base to keep them in place?

mbeigh... did you also upgrade the 42's with the SBA shown on the Ohm web page when you replaced the drivers? Just curious, I have a set of these but don't use them much. They are an interesting speaker.

Never had a a problem with rotating tweeters.... but I suppose if the volume was cranked up enough it could happen. Might try to put a thin rubber washer/gasket around the headphone style plug if they are loose.

mbeigh... did you also upgrade the 42's with the SBA shown on the Ohm web page when you replaced the drivers? Just curious, I have a set of these but don't use them much. They are an interesting speaker.

Never had a a problem with rotating tweeters.... but I suppose if the volume was cranked up enough it could happen. Might try to put a thin rubber washer/gasket around the headphone style plug if they are loose.

That sounds like a good idea, I will give that a try.

As for the SBA's, I wondered about that too. The Ohm site acted like it was a worthy upgrade, and not that expensive.

Had Cam-16's once, fine sound, beautiful. Rock-solid cabs. If one simply must have small speakers, much better than the Minimus 7 and better highs than the smallest A/D/S - Braun (but those have great mid domes).

The more I listen to my 32's, the more I am surprised by their performance. The bass is really deep, accurate, and clear, and the highs are amazing. The egg tweeter that this series uses has really impressed me with its versatility and detail. I honestly think that it would be really hard to find a better large bookshelf speaker.

Last edited:
I have the pro 42's and whoever owned them before me must have had that problem. Looks like he used some clear silicone or something to keep them still.....I still have to put new surrounds on the passive radiators which I never got around to doing due to having a couple kids and no time......but they are next on my list of to-do's :D

I've been listening to my Cam Pro 42's a bit lately, got them off the floor after reading this thread. The highs on the egg tweeters are very good, but the bass is too lean for me, given they have that big old passive, I'd expect more. Could be the ones I own need some work - need to investigate and maybe tune them up with some replacements.

Lico, sorry for not replying sooner, just found this thread again. When I bought these speakers, they were stuffed with auto speakers and 12" auto woofers in the PR holes. I just dropped Ohm replacement speakers in and additional insulation and never looked back. I had no old speakers to trade in so the replacements were quite pricey. Probably have too much $ invested but have an old pair of Walsh IIs; I guess I could take both and trade them in for a new pair od Ohms.

They are in my wife's office being driven by an old Project One Mark 1500 receiver and sound very nice.

I've been listening to my Cam Pro 42's a bit lately, got them off the floor after reading this thread. The highs on the egg tweeters are very good, but the bass is too lean for me, given they have that big old passive, I'd expect more. Could be the ones I own need some work - need to investigate and maybe tune them up with some replacements.

lico, start with the source (receiver/amp) and work your way to the speakers. What are you driving them with? Check the foam surrounds....if everything checks out, maybe you can adjust the passive? I have read here that I can do that with my JBL L77's, not sure if that holds true for other speakers....If all that doesn't turn up anything, put a call in to Ohm, I have heard they are very helpful.

My particular pair are the Pro-32's, what is the difference between the CAM and the PRO? The website does not specify :scratch2:

Lico, sorry for not replying sooner, just found this thread again. When I bought these speakers, they were stuffed with auto speakers and 12" auto woofers in the PR holes. I just dropped Ohm replacement speakers in and additional insulation and never looked back. I had no old speakers to trade in so the replacements were quite pricey. Probably have too much $ invested but have an old pair of Walsh IIs; I guess I could take both and trade them in for a new pair od Ohms.

They are in my wife's office being driven by an old Project One Mark 1500 receiver and sound very nice.

Thanks, good info to know. I sent an email some time back to Ohm asking about their trade in policy, never got a reply back. I also own a set of Walsh 1's in nice condition that I like (with a spare can driver). My Cam/Pros are in decent shape, but noticed they do have a small tear in one of the passives on closer inspection. Maybe I'll replace and try out the "SBA" they show on their website for grins. These are not bad on the low end, but I'm looking for more out of a speaker that quotes 32 Hz on the web site specs.

Just bought a pair of brand new, never opened Ohm CAM-16s which I refer to as "Baby 801s" (see pic) and although I bought them more as a collector because I had wanted to get them 20+ years ago and never got around to buying them. I connected them up to my current system and after a day of breaking them in, I was actually quite surprised by how good they sound. They sound much better than many contemporary loudspeakers under $500 that I've heard recently. Of course the deep bass isn't there (don't expect them to shake the room) but what they have is surprisingly taut and punchy. They come across sounding bigger than they are.

View media item 10712

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom