Pyle PDS-772 1" driver 3" voice coil!

Hi fi fo fun

I have tried to search for anyone on AK or on other forums who has tried the Pyle PDS-772 driver and have had no luck.

The Pyle PDS-772 is a 1" throat driver with standard 1 3/8'' x 18 TPI threads

The point that caught my attention out of the piles of Pyle drivers (ok bad pun) is the supposed 3" voice coil actually 2.84" inches but I figured I use a little of the same Pyle exaggeration logic to catch peoples eye on the thread title to make a point of just how large this diaphragm is for a 1" driver.

Most 1" throats have around a 2" diaphragm.

These drivers could be lousy sounding or could be gems in the rough. Pyle never seems to give any good or reliable tech info or graphs and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "typo" on the voice coil diameter. They don't even list the dimensions on the spec sheet.

Here is a link to a site that had the best price I have found so far for about $30, usually the Pyle PDS-772's are around $50 at most other sites. Any one can find them cheaper feel free to chime in.

http://www.provantage.com/pyle-pds-772~7PYLE03L.htm

Thoughts.....? other threads discussing this driver?
HFFF

Here is the official Pyle Link for the driver

Not much info on the driver from Pyle either.

It was the only 1" driver that Pyle with such a large diaphragm for a 1" throat. I looked at every single 1" they had on their site all the other drivers have much smaller diaphragms.

If these drivers actually do have 2.84" diaphragms they may be a little less harsh and have a more full sound than the some of the other drivers Pyle sells.

If they do work as hoped for $30 we could have a new price champion for 1" inchers.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=&cat1=Pro Audio&cat2=Horns and Tweeters&model=PDS772

I have ordered a couple of Pyle things from Provantage link on the thread starter and they were fast with the shipping and took back the items no questions asked.

Provantage sent me some Pyle PPA 12's and I actually thought they were amazing for a $19 woofer + the actual shipping (PPA12 is a $30+ driver most other places) but after hearing the 12's I actually want to get the Pyle PPA 18's so I sent them back.

I was going to get four of the Pyle PPA 12's for a Linkwitz transform sub on my Klipsch Tangent 400 (identical Heresy ii components in a bigger cheaper box) but I think the PPA-18 would work a little better than the four 12's. After seeing how stiff the cones were on the 12's and hearing how tight the sound was I think the PPA18's would do just fine. Usually on cheap woofers you get a really soft cone but I guess times are changing.

Interesting - almost the size of an Altec 288 diaphragm but with a 1" exit. The phase plug design will have a big effect on the performance - it'll be interesting to see what these look like with the back off, and what the diaphragm looks like.

Interesting - almost the size of an Altec 288 diaphragm but with a 1" exit. The phase plug design will have a big effect on the performance - it'll be interesting to see what these look like with the back off, and what the diaphragm looks like.

Yes I had some nice alnico 288's and I am hoping these cheapo's might have some of the same qualities as a 288 for the very reason the diaphragms are very close in size. I really don't care if they are as good as a 288 but if are good enough to recommend to friends and use for situations that a 288 would not be wise to take to (house parties, etc.)

Curiosity has peaked my interest and since no one seems to have tried them so I just ordered a pair today.

Got a set today

I just got a set of the Pyle PDS-772 drivers and took a few pics to share.

Pyle is not lying about the almost 3" voice coil and huge magnet. These things are way larger than I expected. They may not handle 600 watts but the ferro fluid in the gap will surely increase the power handling. They sure look strong enough to handle the average 150 watts most diaphragms this size can handle though.

I plunked a fingernail on the diaphragm and it did not have any ping to the sound just a plunk nothing resonating, it was actually pretty well damped.

Gave them a quick listen without a horn and they actually sounded like they had some promise of good audio. At this point they look like quite a deal for any one doing live or pro sound, I will have to wait to get them in to a system to see if they are going to work for high quality audio.

They certainly do not sound harsh or extremely rolled off by any means with a quick test and they do reach down to 500hz without any distortion or boxiness. Now as to how flat the frequency response actually is down to 500hz remains to be seen but they could be used with a 6db roll off at 1K no problems at all.

Anyway I hope my pics and description get others to check these out because at $30 a driver you get quite a bit more than expected.(I got mine from Provantage online but they don't seem to pack very well for the low prices, request good packing)

They should definitely save some bucks for anyone doing pro audio because I know these should handle as much or more than any 1.75" size diaphragm usually found in other 1" throat drivers. 3" diaphragms are usually only found in 1.4" or 2" throat drivers.

Phase plug and diaphragm kinda look design elements were taken from Altec/JBL drivers to me.

I'll try to stick these on a horn this coming week.

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 146
714 horns

Got your pm but wouldnt let me reply hi fi,so I found this thread.
I "think" the 714 was designed around the Altec 811b & may be usable below their stated 1khz but dont really know.Mine are crossed at 3000 with the ewave xover.Might be worth a try(not to expensive).
The 612 would be great for your loud party speakers but pretty sure it wont go lower than 1000,lotsa data on those horns on the ewave thread.I cross mine about 2500 in garage with a DOD xover.
Those 772 drivers look pretty interesting-I would like to try something inexpensive that will go lower than the Selenium 220ti I have now.
Let us know how they sound & what type horn you use.
Robert

Well I got a chance to play with the Pyle PDS-772 drivers today on two different horns and a DCX2496 doing on the fly eq and crossover. I used the 12" woofers from a Klipsch Tangent 400 (Tangent 400 is all Heresy ii components in a larger 3 cubic ft particle board box). I put internal braces in my boxes until I can build some plywood Heresy cabs, helped the bass quite a bit.

First I tried the EV 8HD horn damped down with a bunch of those $1.98 grey clay bars found in the electrical supply department at home depot. I have never really liked the in your face mid of the EV 8HD, the 8hd is cheap enough for you to try them if you are really interested or need to restore an old EV speaker. With a bunch of crazy digital eq you can make the EV8hd sound "ok" with the Pyle PDS-772 drivers.

Next I spun them on to a pair of large 500hz EV SM-120a horns and got a way nicer and HUGE sound. The EV-SM120a is a pretty amazing non-horn sounding horn. The Pyle PDS-772 drivers are a very smooth sounding driver, these are a great combo although after my first impression of the drivers not needing much eq on top I realized the Pyle PDS-772 drivers do need quite a bit of top end boost from the DCX2496 to be used without a super tweeter on any horn.

My overall impression of the Pyle PDS-772 drivers is that the ton of ferro fluid in the gap has damped out any resonations but also took away a bunch of detail, dynamics and sensitivity that horn users usually expect to be there when compared to most direct radiators.

Although another plus of a massive amount of ferro fluid in the gap of the Pyle PDS-772 drivers is that it makes the drivers seem to blend better with direct radiators than most other horn drivers because of some loss of detail and dynamics from the ferro fluid. The ferro fluid has probably also taken away any hint of harshness in these drivers.

Summary Pyle PDS-772 drivers:
1.smooth sound
2.blends well with direct radiators
3.Probably will go lower than most horn cutoffs unless you have something super huge.
4. I am guessing Pyles power ratings are not too crazy after looking at an using the drivers. I put a 200 watt Carver cube on them and amazingly they showed no signs of distress and even more amazingly did not get harsh. This driver was made in Pro sound and DJ heaven.
5. 2.84" voice coil and really does have a 50oz woofer sized magnet!
6. Ok folks $30+ ship at Provantage online pretty much says negates any bad points of this driver (other places charge about $50 each for these so shop around.)

Negatives-
1.Ferrofluid loss of detail, dynamics and sensitivity over other compression drivers
2.Needs quite a bit of eq on top or a super tweeter if you are used to detail or zing up top on stereo listening. Although for some pro users not having this super top end could be a plus, especially for vocal monitors not ringing.

Anyway for $30 this is an amazing mid or with eq a mid/high driver if you know what you are doing with it. I hesitate to say poor man's Altec 288 as I have had a really nice pair of original alnico 288's and these drivers are not quite in the same league but the Pyle PDS-772 drivers with their almost 3" voice coils could be used in the same application as a 288 where drivers with 2" voice coils would fall short.

Alright, I hope this info helps someone out there, needing cheap, loud and smooth.

Last edited:
Great option,

Clear,clean and sharp

s4010398.jpg

PDS772 vs Klipsch K55v

s4010377ed.jpg

For what the fluid will cost to replace you can wick it out of the gap and listen without it. I don't think that the fluid will make a big difference for most home users where ultra high level is required. Looks like a serious bang for the buck driver. I cannot imagine how a driver this size would have any issues with playing down to 500 Hz or lower. I recently picked up some Peavey SP1 which use the 22A driver on a CH-1 horn. I just bought some new ti diaphragms for the 22A I was disappointed to find the ti diaphragms are not designed like the original aluminum alloy diaphragms which are a deep drawn one piece former and diaphragm which provides enormous heat sinking to the voice coil. The stock 22a diaphragm is an aluminum alloy with a Mylar surround all in all a very seriously well designed driver for then or even for now. Had they built a metal phase plug and anodized it black they would never have needed to go to fluid in the gap to increase heat transfer. Best regards Moray James.

Last edited:
PDS772 versus k55v

I'd like to see the results from the spectrum analyzer but still interested in how you thought they sounded next to each other?

Hey MartinV56 what is that blue-grey driver at the bottom of the photo? Found one like that last year attached to a dual horn but the driver was blown and I couldn't figure out how to replace the diaphragm. Kinda looks like you drilled out some rivets.

the Klipsch K55V over the bassbin
Pyle Pro PD 772 in the midrange horn
Selenium 220Ti in the HF horn

I have tried to search for anyone on AK or on other forums who has tried the Pyle PDS-772 driver and have had no luck.

The Pyle PDS-772 is a 1" throat driver with standard 1 3/8'' x 18 TPI threads

The point that caught my attention out of the piles of Pyle drivers (ok bad pun) is the supposed 3" voice coil actually 2.84" inches but I figured I use a little of the same Pyle exaggeration logic to catch peoples eye on the thread title to make a point of just how large this diaphragm is for a 1" driver.

Most 1" throats have around a 2" diaphragm.

These drivers could be lousy sounding or could be gems in the rough. Pyle never seems to give any good or reliable tech info or graphs and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "typo" on the voice coil diameter. They don't even list the dimensions on the spec sheet.

Here is a link to a site that had the best price I have found so far for about $30, usually the Pyle PDS-772's are around $50 at most other sites. Any one can find them cheaper feel free to chime in.

http://www.provantage.com/pyle-pds-772~7PYLE03L.htm

Thoughts.....? other threads discussing this driver?
HFFF

hi everyone! my first post!

so what's the consensus of this driver? i'm considering purchasing a couple of them.

like most ppl, i'm usually hesitant purchasing cheap brands but money is tight and i'm in btwn gigs so i can do a little bit of research.

i blew my peavey 22xt drivers (60W) a few times and thinking of replacing them with these.
what is this driver's "real" power? and how do they sound? and how would they sound compared to the 22xt's?

my speaker boxes are peavey sp5g. i was considering the PDB832 with an adapter but i think it'll be a problem fitting into the box-slot of the peavey CH-2 horn being that the original 22xt (3.7") that barely fit into the slot which measures about 3.75".

in my peavey sp5g cabs are 15" b&c 1000RMS. and i run them bi-amped to get more out of them since i don't want the hassle of carrying dual 15"s.
qsc 3602 for the lows, 3402 for the highs.. i also have a 15 band x2 eq.

other drivers i was considering based on reviews are the selenium d220ti and prv audio 280ti-s.
but having blown my highs twice, the power handling of this pyle 772 has me looking at it more closely.

1-3/8"-18 TPI, 8 ohms

Peavey 22xt
Power handling: 60 watts pink noise above 500 Hz, 70 watts above 1000 Hz. • VCdia: 2.0" • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 500-20,000 Hz. • SPL: 111 dB • Dimensions: 5.25" diameter x 3.05" depth • Net weight: 5.6 lbs.

Pyle PDS772
1" titanium horn driver has a 2.84" (72.2mm) flat aluminum voice coil for high power handling
Power input: 300 watts RMS, 600 watts peak power • Frequency response: 500 Hz - 18,000 Hz • Sensitivity: 107 dB @ 1W/1M • Impedance: 8 ohm • Magnet structure: 50 oz. Weight :8.75 lbs

Selenium D220Ti
80 watts RMS/160 watts program (with recommended 2,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave crossover) • VCdia: 1.7" • Frequency response: 1,000-21,000 Hz (no crossover) • SPL: 109 dB 2.83V/1m • Magnet weight: 24 oz. • 3.8 lb

PRV Audio D280Ti-S
80 watts RMS with recommended crossover of 1,200 Hz, 12 dB/octave slope • Minimum recommended crossover point: 1,200 Hz • VCdia: 1.75" • Frequency response: 1,200-20,000 Hz • SPL: 110 dB 2.83V/1m • Dimensions: 4.52" diameter x 2" depth (2.68" with threads) • Net weight: 3.3 lbs.

-------------------------------------
Pyle PDB832
2' (50.8mm) Flat Aluminum Voice Coil
500 watts RMS, 1,000 watts peak power • Frequency response: 800 Hz-20 kHz • Sensitivity: 106 dB @ 1W/1m • Impedance: 8 ohm • Magnet structure: 90 oz. • Weight :14.2 lbs

pyle pdb832 manual 80W RMS

Last edited:
From my real world experience with all of these drivers in sound reinforcement systems the PDS772 will handle much more power and go lower with out complaining than any the other drivers you list because of its way larger 2.84" voice coil, and ferrofluid. That being said you do give up some detail, high frequency extension with the PDS772 over the other drivers.

Also you had better measure carefully because the PDS772 is super huge and make sure your horn has reinforcements to hold the extra weight because the 772 is also super heavy for a 1" throat.

Personally I would replace your drivers with the Peavey 22xt's, they are definitely tougher than the D220ti for sure and about equal to the PRV's in toughness but before doing another gig with your new 22xt's you need to find out why they are blowing in the first place.

You will want to ask a seasoned veteran in speaker repair and/or sound reinforcement to look at your setup to look at you setup to save you money time and headaches in the future.

I am going to take a guess and say you are running the compression drivers way too low with possibly too shallow a slope on your crossover. Also you may not have enough speaker or clean amp power for your job.

If your high freq amp goes in to clipping even a little at the max power handling of your driver the drivers will probably be toast by the end of the gig. Compression drivers are much more sensitive to amps distorting that woofers.

I really hope this helps, Good luck

Back
Top Bottom