Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner for cleaning vinyl with amazing results.

Elitemav

I was thinking this foam soap scum and mold cleaner would probably work awesome on vinyl but I didn't want to try it on a good record. I got a record that I couldn't even listen to it had so many loud pops and clicks and I cleaned the hell out of it with everything including my spin clean several times and it didn't work so I tried my buddys RCM and it still sounded horrible but the record is out of print and hard to find so I decided to try this last thing and spray it with scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner foam and then rinse and dry. I propped the record kind of sideways resting on a towel and sprayed one side with foam and let the bubbles clean through the grooves for 5 mins then rinsed and flipped over and did the other side then rinsed and dried. I was amazed the record was super clean and was dead quiet with no clicks or pops and sounded really good when before I couldn't even hear the music. it did however kind of fade the labels slightly so I would use a label protector next time. now I wouldn't use this as a dedicated cleaner because it may cause problems for the record over time if you keep using it but it may not also. I figure if you have a stubborn record that seems like it just cant be cleaned to clean it with this and then continue to use your normal cleaning methods afterwards. anyways I got amazing results with this and am happy I can finally listen to my record and I recorded it to flac files as a back up :music:

scrubbingbubblesbathroo.jpg

I dunno. Scrubbing bubbles? Wood glue? I know a coke will really clean the battery terminals on my car. I wonder what it will do with the gunk on my records...

Wood glue does work very well. Any cleaning agent without abrasive materials in it will too I guess?

Yes, I became a big fan of the wood glue method. I just think it is funny, and cool, that these sorts of things can work. Titebond II baby!

Well I'm about to get a Spin Clean, so hopefully I won't really need the wood glue thing. I have very few albums that are as far gone as the one the OP is talking about.

Oh, no! Not Scrubbing Bubbles!

It has "Automatic Vinyl Eater" in it.

A well known additive of unauthorized record cleaners!

\:^)

Doug

Last edited:
Ah Ha! The word is out. I think I might have mentioned this in a post quite a while back. Same thing -- had a record that defied cleaning. BTW there's 2 types iirc, a heavy duty or with some other additive, maybe bleach and I don't use that one. In my case I used the stuff as a precleaner of a sort and then used the record cleaning brush and the solution debated here -- pure water, alcohol, I forget now. Still cleaning them by hand.

It would be important to determine if there is any residue leftover in the stylus after playing several times the record that went through the process.

Next thing we'll see is a can of this for sale at MusicDirect for $49.99. Right next to the Blu-Tak.

I have a spin clean and think it does a very good job. However, I always, no matter what cleaning method I choose, throughly rinse after cleaning. I use a iso alc/distilled water rinse, 75% dist H2O, 25% is alc. I rarely have any residue after rinsing.

With respect to the Scrubbing Bubbles approach, I have a couple of LPs that are really noisy that I'm going to try to clean with SB. I'll report back.

Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner is designed to clean vinyl records?

Windex isn't designed to clean vinyl records either but does just as good a job on my LPs as does my spin clean. The spin clean is faster which is why I prefer it.

This is an excerpt from the OPs original post:

<<I got a record that I couldn't even listen to it had so many loud pops and clicks and I cleaned the hell out of it with everything including my spin clean several times and it didn't work so I tried my buddys RCM and it still sounded horrible but the record is out of print and hard to find so I decided to try this last thing and spray it with scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner foam and then rinse and dry. >>

I think he made it pretty clear that he tried the designer stuff and it didn't eliminate the noise.

Back
Top Bottom