'66 Diplomat - New Home!!

Tuquala

First time on the Fisher Forum, hi to all!!

Just picked up a '66 Diplomat in excellent shape. Some pics attached. Wood is in good shape, does need some tlc, but no scratches or dings. One knob cap missing, and one loose. The original Dual 1010 has been replaced with a lowly BSR!! And as far as operation goes, sounds good, but the left speaker set has no bass, and some minor distortion. Gotta check that out soon.

All the paper work was in the record cubby, and even the Dual 45 stacker was in the clip with a single spindle!!

Gonna do the wood a bit, possibly put in my Dual 601 on a new mounting board, and figure out what the left channel problem is. I do know it is not in the amp, switched speaker leads and problem stayed on the left.

When back to full operation, it will come into the office/computer room for our listening pleasure.

Gerry

Attachments

• IMG_7655.JPG
    IMG_7655.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7658.JPG
    IMG_7658.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7659.JPG
    IMG_7659.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7660.JPG
    IMG_7660.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 71
Very nice. I particularly like the clean lines.... not frilly or gaudy. Nice console !

Very Nice '66. The amp and tuner look identical from the pics and the tube layout to the 49A/49T combo in the '65 Custom Electra. I wouldn't be surprised.

Larry

Very Nice '66. The amp and tuner look identical from the pics and the tube layout to the 49A/49T combo in the '65 Custom Electra. I wouldn't be surprised.

Larry

They are the same.

Both the 1966 Diplomat D-391, Custom Electra E-491, and the 1965 Custom Electra E-490 use the same 49-T and 49-A chassis's.

First time on the Fisher Forum, hi to all!!

Just picked up a '66 Diplomat in excellent shape. Some pics attached. Wood is in good shape, does need some tlc, but no scratches or dings. One knob cap missing, and one loose. The original Dual 1010 has been replaced with a lowly BSR!! And as far as operation goes, sounds good, but the left speaker set has no bass, and some minor distortion. Gotta check that out soon.

All the paper work was in the record cubby, and even the Dual 45 stacker was in the clip with a single spindle!!

Gonna do the wood a bit, possibly put in my Dual 601 on a new mounting board, and figure out what the left channel problem is. I do know it is not in the amp, switched speaker leads and problem stayed on the left.

When back to full operation, it will come into the office/computer room for our listening pleasure.

Gerry

Gerry: Swap the input leads to the amp and see if it changes. If it does then it's the preamp. If not it's the amp.

Larry

Larry, I will do that. Kinda forgot aboot the fact that there is a preamp in this!! I've been rebuilding a Maggie amp, and only thinking about things from an amplifier outlook!!

Thanks for all the comments!

Why is the custom electra more in cost when it looks like the same thing as the Diplomat,, Same amp pre-amp., speaker ensamble.. Am I missing something? Why is the Custom a higher end unit to the Diplomat?

Why is the custom electra more in cost when it looks like the same thing as the Diplomat,, Same amp pre-amp., speaker ensamble.. Am I missing something? Why is the Custom a higher end unit to the Diplomat?
Probably because of the greater variety and more complicated construction of the Custom Electra cabinets. The Diplomat "Wide-Horizon" cabinets (of which there were only 2) were longer and lower but also more simply constructed. The vast array of period styles available in the Custom Electra probably appealed to an older, more conservative and more affluent customer for whom the extra cost was not an issue.

You are correct that equipment-wise they are identical.

Last edited:
Well I got the stereo in the home and it does have a nice sound,, Not too much bass,, I am sure hooked up to my Bose tower speakers or my A7s,, may have a much better sound.... the only thing wrong with this stereo is the low volume on the Phono. I am sure it could be a bad tube??? 12ax7? other than that it is great. I got to lube the TT it sounds rough. It is a Dual 1010. Is that a decent table? has a wierd motor looks like a fan motor. round,,, wierd. Looks stately in my place.

Back
Top Bottom