Mirage speakers: M-990, MCC-R, PS-1290

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with any of these speakers.
I've got a pair of both the 990s and the MCCs, and then the sub. I'm curious as to whether you guys think this would be a suitable HT setup or just keep the 990s for a 2 channel, maybe the sub (but I have other options for that if need be).

I have the 990s set up in my system right now, and the sound pretty nice. They have pretty extensive bass for a 6.5" speaker putting out the low end. I really like the full range that comes out the back of it, and I'm pretty sure the port helps a good amount. Have played a little bit of rock through them, some classical, and some open vocal stuff. They have pretty good imaging from a setup that I wouldn't consider ideal.

Not really looking for a better alternative, just curious to see if you guys would think it's worth it to keep these puppies or set 'em up in the basement where I won't use them as often. I've got a little more room to work with for HT setup down there...

Very good HT set up. I used to sell Mirage around that era and recently put a PS-1290 in my HT room. The MCC is the weak link. At the time there was not much available in the way of a serious centre but having two will help. A lot of people really liked the bi-polar speakers for HT use. There is always something better but that will make a very respectable set up that will give hours of enjoyment.

Cool. So you would go with two centers instead of having a rear? It feels like the centers have great clarity on vocals, especially speech (their purpose, so I would hope so). Having never really heard these before, I hooked 'em up just to see what would happen if they were standalone. Not bad. I can see how they would pair really well with the M-990s.

Thanks for the input Raynald!

First priority would be to set up a rear. If you can get your hands on another pair to use there later on, putting the second center up front would help it keep up with the 990s. The majority of the information comes out of the center so it does not make sense that this speaker is so much smaller than the mains. Back then that is how most companies were doing it but later the center got the attention it deserved. If you ever come across a larger Mirage center. MC-2 or something similar, it would be worth grabbing.

Have fun and let us know how it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom