Marantz SR8002 protection. Won't power on / service manual??

lowlytech

So my wife calls me and says that our Marantz SR8002 standby light is just blinking red. I get home and sure enough its blinking once you apply power to the unit (not when you try to power it on with the power button, but just plugging it in causes the blinking) a quick power cycle does nothing. I disconnect everything from the back and pull it from the rack and take it to my worktable and plug it in there and get the same blinking red light instantly. I pop the cover really quickly to take a look and I don't notice any bulged caps or anything else that looks alarming. I checked when I purchased this unit and its about 35 days past 3 years on the purchase date. Vintage Marantz receivers is what brought me here originally years ago, but now my main AV unit is belly up. I did a quick look on google for a service manual and I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone have any leads for a service manual. I do pretty good around the 22xx units, but this 8002 is really intimidating looking. I am going to call Marantz in the morning, but I don't expect any slack on the warranty terms. Once I verifiy with them that its my very own boat anchor then I will start pulling boards and testing caps/resistors/transistors for shorts but I thought I would get a head start on hunting the service manual, or any other good leads on ideas for repair. Thanks guys...

Just a quick follow up. I called Marantz and they walked me though holding the clear, 7.1 channel input and the pure direct buttons at the same time to clear the error. It worked for about 10 seconds and shut back down with only the red blinking light. They told me they would go ahead and honor the warranty since it was so close. I now have a renewed faith in Marantz and wanted to tell everyone that they treated me very well with this case and that personally means a lot to me for repeat business. I will let you guys know when its back up and running.

Got the 8002 back today and it works again. Only problems I can see is there is some damage to the back of the unit by the speaker terminals. It bent them in a bit and when I took the cover off to try to push the metal back out, one of the capacitors had a pretty good dent in it as well. It almost looks like it was done on the trip to the repair center. The box had the telltale signs of a strugle but was on the oppisite side when repacked. The repair place sent it back to me in the box i sent it off in and it looked like an acordian. It was double boxed with the inter box being doublewalled in construction. It then had foam and other smaller boxes in and around the corners. I guess UPS can still find a way to bash in the side of a box on a 300 mile trip...

Back
Top Bottom