• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vandersteen Sock Replacement

powerlight

Active Member
Thought I’d share some pics of the sock replacement I did on my Vandersteen Model 2 speakers. I couldn’t afford to send them to the factory so I figured I’d give it a shot on my own. These are the steps that I followed and I post them in case anyone wants an inside look at the Vandies (What’s behind those socks anyway?) or wants to see how the top/bottom is joined to the body or can take this and find a better way to do it. I’m certainly NOT an expert but I thought this might be useful to anyone else considering doing the same…

NudeVandyFront.jpg

NudeVandyBack.jpg



Here are the tools I used:

Tools.jpg


The previous owner was obviously a cat owner too: The socks doubled as scratching posts and I could have made my own cat out of the fur trapped inside the socks.

CatHair.jpg


First, the tops were already loosened for me (bought these in a pawn shop) so that made the process much easier. I think with a slim pry bar and gentle, evenly distributed pressure the tops can be loosened and removed. There is a peg at each of the four corners in addition to a black, tarry adhesive and what looks like a clear silicone attaching the tops. If you’re going to attempt to remove securely fastened tops all I can say is, “Be careful and work slowly and gently!” I was very happy to be able to skip this step!

The socks are stapled at the top, bottom and behind the dress plate on the back using ¼” staples. I removed the staples with my multi-tool and a small bar designed for removing moulding. Pliers are helpful. The bolts on the stands come off with a 7/16” socket to get at the bottoms. The bottoms have the same black adhesive and a 2” screw in each corner.

UndertheBigTop.jpg

Bottom.jpg


My wife sewed up the new fabric based on the old sock. We tried it on the speaker a few times and she gradually took in the seam a little at a time until it fit snug and tight on the frame.

We stapled starting at the bottom, then at the top. This part is a 2 person job. When the sock was on securely we cut out the hole in the back for the dress plate. Restapling on the back proved tricky because of the tight space. In the end we trimmed the fabric to fit just inside the plate and used the plate to hold the fabric in place. The 6 screws really clamp it down so I figured we may as well try it. If it slips out down the road then we’ll deal with it then. (Note: I did staple it on the second speaker and recommend doing it if you can.)

The most time consuming part of the process was replacing the fabric on the top. The fabric is stretched around a frame made of fiberboard. This is held to the top with 4 narrow 5/8” long staples, as seen below:
TopStaples.jpg



I used my small bar to pry the frame out, working it off evenly a little at a time and watching for tear-out in the fiberboard as I went. (You can also see the 2 adhesives and peg holes in the pic below.)
PryingTop.jpg


There are around 60 staples holding the fabric in place and this is all covered in the same black, tarry adhesive. I assume the overkill on the staples and adhesive is due to the fact that the tops are likely to have something accidentally set on them at some point or another hence the extra reinforcement. I cut the fabric out and went to town on the staples. This was a bit time consuming and messy. I thought of just driving the staples in flush with the surface of the frame and adding new staples just in front of the old ones to hold the fabric. Probably should have. I felt obliged to remove the old ones and clean it up a little though.
60Staples.jpg


Be warned: The tarry adhesive can stick to and stain anything it gets mashed into. It’d be a good idea to put a sheet down if you’re doing this in the house. Better yet, chuck it out in the garage for the messy bit.
The wood was a little beaten and faded so I gave the veneer a very light sanding with 220 grit on a sanding block and then tung oiled it once a day for 3 days (perhaps overkill for a veneer). Be careful not to try to take out any deep dings by sanding. You can chew through the veneer quite easily. I had to leave some of the deep gouges alone which got me thinking about making some solid wood replacements for the tops and bottoms. I read the fiberboard is chosen for its acoustic qualities so this is probably best left alone I guess.

I hope someone finds all this useful. I’ve gotten so much out of this site I thought I’d try to use my limited knowledge and experience to try and give something back. I know I would have liked to have found something like this online before I started! Here are some before and after pics:
TopsBeforeAfter.jpg

BeforeAfterSocks.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice job! Brings back memories of mine after they became a climbing pole for 8 black kittens! That hair on the inside must have come from cats calling the tops of those home. That's frowned on around here don't ya' know.

A pair of dykes makes removing staples a lot easier though. (Politically correct term is diagonal side cutters)

And yes, Vandersteens get some of their heft from those staples!
 
Very nice!!!

Are those before socks original. I can't believe that's a production line staple job.

Thanks cubby01! The before socks are original. As for the staples, that's what was under the hood when I opened them up. The second speaker had been restapled on top but the one you see in the pics was all factory work, top and bottom. The quality of the staple job didn't bother me. I just wish there weren't so $^*% many of them to remove! :D
 
We always accused Richard of owning a staple company also. Thanks for the memories of one of my favorite speakers.
 
Very nice, thanks for the wite up...
My model 2's look pretty shabby and I was thinking of doing this some day, but then I got to thinking maybe I should just send it in to the factory so they could check out and replace any of the drivers that are in need of it after 25 years or so. I did remove the bottom plate of both of mine and loosened the sock from the bottom so I could roll it up and inspect the drivers. All looked good. And they still sound great, so maybe I'll get brave and do the sock relacement like you did. I love mu Vandersteens.
Terry
 
Thank you for sharing your sock replacement. Very nice work and excellent photos. As a 2Ce owner, my socks are past prime so your work shows it is doable.

On a side note, I see a cloth dome tweeter and butyl surround in your photo. That makes yours 2Ci?:scratch2: My 2Ce has a titanium dome.
 
Vandersteen Speaker Fabric Repair

We always accused Richard of owning a staple company also. Thanks for the memories of one of my favorite speakers.

I called the factory to ask about ordering fabric and was put through to Richard (Vandersteen). I was very impressed at his hands-on approach to his business. Here is the head of a well established, moderately sized company who still takes time to field calls from shmoes like me. He was courteous but to the point. I hung up feeling like I was valued as a customer even though I had bought my speakers second hand. That is smart business and the best way to compete with bigger, less personal companies. Customer service goes a long way! :thmbsp:
 
Vandersteen Speaker Fabric Repair

Nice job! Brings back memories of mine after they became a climbing pole for 8 black kittens! That hair on the inside must have come from cats calling the tops of those home. That's frowned on around here don't ya' know.

A pair of dykes makes removing staples a lot easier though. (Politically correct term is diagonal side cutters)

I shudder to think of the work involved keeping a cat away from these speakers! They are designed perfectly to be used as a scratching post. We are cat sitting for friends this summer and I can see myself sleeping in front of these to keep them safe.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the diagonal side cutters. Although I hopefully won’t have to do this again anytime soon!

Very nice, thanks for the wite up...
My model 2's look pretty shabby and I was thinking of doing this some day, but then I got to thinking maybe I should just send it in to the factory so they could check out and replace any of the drivers that are in need of it after 25 years or so. I did remove the bottom plate of both of mine and loosened the sock from the bottom so I could roll it up and inspect the drivers. All looked good. And they still sound great, so maybe I'll get brave and do the sock relacement like you did. I love mu Vandersteens.
Terry

Glad I was able to be of help Terry. I would have LOVED to send these in to be spruced up (inside and out) at the factory. Financial circumstances aren’t going to allow that to happen. I’m hoping to be able to get my McIntosh C-28 taken care of at some point. And my 2100. And my guitars.And get a decent TT… :D
 
Last edited:
Vandersteen Speaker Fabric Repair

Thank you for sharing your sock replacement. Very nice work and excellent photos. As a 2Ce owner, my socks are past prime so your work shows it is doable..

Thanks a lot. I’m happy you found it useful.

On a side note, I see a cloth dome tweeter and butyl surround in your photo. That makes yours 2Ci?:scratch2: My 2Ce has a titanium dome.
To be honest I’m not sure! I am definitely a newbie when it comes to audio and I’m still trying to wrap my head around my amp and pre. Most of my time is spent cruising the Mac forum not the speaker forum. The speakers had to take a backseat once I figured out how to monowire them! Is a cloth dome tweeter and butyl surround a good thing? (I am embarrassed to ask!) :withstpd:

The serial #'s are C19278C & C19279C. From what I've read I thought this would make them a straight 2C.
 
Last edited:
Old thread, I know, but this is my first post.

What type (brand?) of adhesive did you use?

Where did you buy the new sock material and what did it cost you? I've seen stuff that's a few bucks/yd up to $25/yd.

Richard V. told me today he doesn't sell the socks but will install them for $60 apiece, which doesn't really help me because on the east coast and shipping will be cost prohibitive.
 
I've only oppened the bottoms of my 2cis so far, and I was sick of staples just from that. Thankfully, appart from a few pen marks (the previous owner's niece I think it was, got to them) the socks look almost new. Which is impressive since I own one of the 3 pairs or so that were sold in beige. :P

I have met and talked with Richard Vandersteen and he is a very personable person that loves this hobby as much as we do.

Old thread, I know, but this is my first post.

What type (brand?) of adhesive did you use?

Where did you buy the new sock material and what did it cost you? I've seen stuff that's a few bucks/yd up to $25/yd.

Richard V. told me today he doesn't sell the socks but will install them for $60 apiece, which doesn't really help me because on the east coast and shipping will be cost prohibitive.

That black goop stuff is reausable, trust me, you arnt getting it off anyway. :no:
 
gschotland: Sorry I didn't get this 'til now! Our conversation via pm seemed to clear up most of these questions though.

X 25: The black goo could have its own horror movie franchise! :sigh: Definitley NOT getting that stuff off.

(and yes, there are tons of staples on both top AND bottom)
 
Because I was concerned about getting the right grill material and there are so many choices out there, I got samples of the standard ($16/yd) and heavy duty ($20/yd) material from Speakerworks.com.

The standard sample is pretty light weight and would be OK, but the heavy duty is almost identical in weight & transparency to the factory material, though it's not quite as smooth to the touch. 2.5 yds should be more than enough to do the pair including the top panels, so the added $10 for the HD vs standard isn't much to get excited about.
 
Thanks for this diy....I hope to be using it very soon. Sorry, but still haven't seen where you were able to get replacement sock material. Did you have to contact the factory?
 
If you do this, please report back with your experience. I may end up doing it some day, although for now everything still looks (and sounds) great.

Good luck.

Terry
 
I called the factory to ask about ordering fabric and was put through to Richard (Vandersteen). I was very impressed at his hands-on approach to his business. Here is the head of a well established, moderately sized company who still takes time to field calls from shmoes like me. He was courteous but to the point. I hung up feeling like I was valued as a customer even though I had bought my speakers second hand. That is smart business and the best way to compete with bigger, less personal companies. Customer service goes a long way! :thmbsp:
You're certainly right there. When I bought Vandersteens last spring, I hadn't heard of them before. I picked them because I liked the sound. The more I found out about the company, the happier I was with my decision. He even has user asked questions on his website. I heard him speak once on his philosophy of speaker design and was again impressed.

And this was a really great thread with the pictures. Thanks for that!!
 
I have earlier 2C's. Mid and 8" woofer had foam surrounds that were shot. Gordon just refoamed mine so I should be getting them back next week, I cut the socks off to expedite driver repair. Mine had mold from previous owner.

I got top and bottom off one. Broke several of thos dowls. Hope I do better on second.

Got all staples off the first one. Not looking forward to doing same on second :no:

I ordered replacement socks from factory. They are from newr models and are longer than what I need so when I get that far I'll have to trim to fit.

Someone recommended flipping that 10" subwoofer in back.

All wiring to drivers is extremely tight. So Richard may own staple company but not wire :no:

Can't wait to give them a listen. :banana:
 
Perkinsman: I bought the fabric locally. It is not top of the line stuff and was relatively inexpensive. Got the job done though. I'm sure a quick search would yield a number of online stores that sell better quality material at a decent price. From what I read above, it sounds like the factory may be willing to sell some directly to the public as well...
 
And this was a really great thread with the pictures. Thanks for that!!

Thanks a lot tromba. I'm glad some folks found it helpful! My only regret is that I didn't take more detailed pics of the interior before I put the socks back on. I may be having an issue with the tweeter on one of the speakers and I really don't want to take the socks off to have a look!
 
Back
Top Bottom