Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 PM
<---speaker piggy

Behold the Baltic 50 made in Latvia...

I saw these on CL for 30 clams. WTH are they? Dome tweet three way. Search that there interwebs and find nearly nothing expect our man thedelilas, and he had Baltic 30's (small 2 ways) has said had great build quality and sound. Also ready there were very nice drivers under these cheap looking trim rings. Drive through rush hour traffic and check them out. Hum smaller than i thought. Cones and surrounds look very quality as does the tweeter. interesting. Heavy, nice looking drivers, slot port on upper back, nice looking port trim and connector plate with attenuators. He said he had nothing to hook them up to but would take them back if not 100% functional. Some cab water swelling issues but all the drivers look new. Cheap gamble, I'm in. WOW I'm glad I took the chance. I hooked them up and liked them very much instantly. Refined deep bass (says 30-20000), tight and quick sounding. Nice and balanced but notice they were a little off and veiled sounding on the top end. Driver check and crap one unobtainable tweeter is working but quiet. Checked the L-pad, seems fine, traced the wires, tested good. Pulled the tweet has continuity, Tried another known good tweet and it was quiet too. So I think it is a bad cap or something wiring related. Tweet tests fine. Dodged a bullet there. I'm pretty stoked about these. Very rare as far as i can tell, super nice drivers, great sound just setup quick on a crap amp. these are going to be nice. Medium efficient and like a little throttle.

Very unassuming looking...

Almost looks like cheap component stuff until you pop the hood and WOW...

Heavy bass driver

Mid in a purpose built chamber...

the stuffing in the mid chamber is contained in a hair net looking thing. Look at that driver.

- BTW none of the drivers have any markings at all.

Nicely built little tweet...

I am amazed at the cast mid chamber, jack plate, trim panels, choke reels, the tight routing of the driver recesses, twisted wires, screw inserts, etc the whole speaker shouts quality. Reminds me of KEF, B&W, Celestion type speakers.

OX is has a thoughtful and clean layout

L-Pads...

BTW I am sure this is the first time these have been apart and look new inside.

Thoughts?

Last edited by kfa888; 03-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM
See me,touch me,Thiel me

Great grab, Kelly!

My buddy and AKer HepcatWilly now has my two pair of Baltic 30s. Tweets can sound a bit "hot" on most SS, he runs his on tubes and it's a big, meaty, accurate sound, with the tubes smoothing out the top just the right amount.

The only markings on the drivers are the small stamped initials/symbol on the cones. But like I said, quality build to them.

Keep us posted on progress!
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Custom Audio Designer

Cool, and plywood too!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 PM
AK Member

Heres a site that sells a "Baltic" line of speakers with a Baltic 90 model thats a three way like your 50. Hasn't been updated since 96 though. Maybe theres a chance the email still works. Worth a shot.

http://www.eliteweb.com/baltlines/index.html

Hooked up: Sansui 771 - Magnavox CD 2000 - Optimus 1B/Klipsch Tangent 500
Need to get fixed: Kenwood KA-5700 - Thorens TD160 - Sony TC-K6
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
AK Subscriber

I had some Lithuanian speakers that were stuffed with kugelis, zeppelins and rye bread.
Audiokarma
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
rtfm!? - tl;dr

Unassuming looking at first view, but it's a good thing you poped'em open to let us see the build quality!

I can spy plywood, not particle board. Real wood veneer, on all sides? Nice!

Crossover seems to use good capacitors that won't age badly like electros. Drivers seem to have a nice build as well.

Enjoy!

az
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
AK Member

Would not expect that sort of build quality from looking at the trim rings! Very nice find, and those seem like some very well made drivers.

The capacitor look like Russian paper-in-oil ones, which are very highly prized in the audio circles for their sound and longevity.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
<---speaker piggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkeyQ View Post
Would not expect that sort of build quality from looking at the trim rings! Very nice find, and those seem like some very well made drivers.

The capacitor look like Russian paper-in-oil ones, which are very highly prized in the audio circles for their sound and longevity.
I'm glad i did some research and found out under the plastic trim rings are heavy cast drivers or I might have passed. Kinda the opposite of what you usually see, crappy stamped drivers under Aluminum trim rings. I gave them a long listen in way less than idea setup and am amazed by the sound despite the low output tweeter. I need to sort that out. I'm 90% sure it is not the tweeter itself.

There does seem an oily substance has leaked from the green cap standing on end in the middle of the OX, wonder if thats the issue. I don't know enough about XO's
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
AK Member

Could you post a pic of the capacitors, side on? Pretty sure the two rectangular cans paper in oil, which means they'll still be good in a hundred years or so...providing they don't leak! I personally have never seen "ordinary" looking bookshelf speakers like that with oil caps...they're normally reserved for exotic Altec horns and the like! Hold onto those speakers!

The little leaky one looks like a nonpolarised electrolytic...very good chance that's part of the tweeter's filter given its physical size. It may have a low enough capacitance that the crossover point is now much higher than it should be, accounting for the reduced output.

Otherwise, it's a good idea to check the solder joints and clean/bypass the L-pads just to be sure. Posting a rough scribbled schematic would help too.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Fizheuer Zieheuer

A wolf in sheep's clothes! Cool .
And enjoy something about the experience, even if it's only complaining."
- Nelson Pass
Audiokarma
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Now Off The Reservation

Did very good there Kelly!! Get the problems sorted out and you'll have some keepers I think!!
DC
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM
<---speaker piggy

Quote:
Could you post a pic of the capacitors, side on? Pretty sure the two rectangular cans paper in oil, which means they'll still be good in a hundred years or so...providing they don't leak! I personally have never seen "ordinary" looking bookshelf speakers like that with oil caps...they're normally reserved for exotic Altec horns and the like! Hold onto those speakers!
Yep, these speakers look cheap on first glance but are some of the best built speakers i have seen. Even the way the drivers fit in the perfectly routed holes, the attention to details etc. Amazing. Yeah, these are going no where, I already love the sound from them and can hardly wait to get that tweeter 100% tweeting.

Quote:
Otherwise, it's a good idea to check the solder joints and clean/bypass the L-pads just to be sure.
I did all that to no avail. I bet it is a cap near the end.

I think these are made in the late 70's early 80's from info I can find.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM
AK Member

Very cool - I would have found those irresistable. My guess is that the leaky NPE cap is the source of your tweeter worries. Measure the other and order something similar - maybe a Solen - for each of them as if one goes, the other might not be far behind.

Again, very, very cool!

Thanks Zilch...
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
AK Member

Did you try to contact Baltlines Audio yet to see if they are still around?
Realistic 31-2020 Equalizer (10 band)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM
<---speaker piggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonmanx View Post
Did you try to contact Baltlines Audio yet to see if they are still around?
No, for what? Schematic? I think the tweet is fine. Tested good. replacement sounds the same (low output)
Audiokarma