Early RCA Stereo and HiFi

well for some reason,im into early rca stereos.i have a 1960 mark series stereo console(has a stereo speaker hook up)a 54 record player(says hf on the model number),a 57 hi fi stereophonic hifi(mono,but says stereo/tape),and a 60 stereophonic fi hi(and it has a true stereo hook up).i wish there was some kind of info about these units,the 57 i have sells alot on ebay,but the two 60 models i have,there seems to be no info on them,i havent seen a brochure or anything.any help? :scratch2:

RCA Stereo

Hi. You may also think I'm nuts, but, here goes. I see nothing wrong with collecting non-high end stuff. After all, alot of it sounds nice, as well!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Now, as for info... For one, alot of the RCA equipment may be found in Sam's Photofact. They have a website.Look under vintage. Cannot explain HF in the late 50's models. They put that on nearly all audio, radio, and Victrola EQuipment in late 50's, including pocket transistor radios!!!! Go figure. I collect vintage toys, too, and love them!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: My favorites also couldn't even possibly be called hi-fi, though alot of mannufacturers wanted the public to think so. My favorites include: Newcomb, RCA, Zenith, Grantline, Eico, HH Scott, Fisher, Phonola, Symphonic, and, yes, even lowly Dynavox... Have fun. Enjoy what you like. That's my motto. There are alot of fun toys from the past for all to enjoy. And, by the way. The RCA reasonning behind calling things stereo was partially because the equipment that the attachments were connected to, namely, the amplifier, were stereo. The attachments, ie, radio, tape recorder, etc..., were mono, but, it was thought by companny that you might eventually upgrade them. :yes: :yes:

Here is an RCA MX-7 stereo receiver...it is not branded RCA Victor, so was probably sold either to the commercial or foreign market. Got it from Texas Recycles Day last year. Uses 6973 output tubes. I have never seen another RCA stereo component such as this.

well the 57 isnt a stereo amp,and ive had two that were similar that werent stereos.the 60 that i have is,i mean i was shocked when i found out.im getting ready to restore the cabnit,but have a 57 magnavox console stereo and i think im gonna be working back and forth with thoes.but your right about the sound,they sound awsome,i was going to use the 60 as a parts player but it has a set of 6v6 tubes and i just cant do it.hopefully ill find a good antique shop that out here in dallas that'll have a couple of older hi fis at a cheap price,whats the link to the sams sight?

hey chad
well ive seen that at some website a few months ago,but the website seemed to disappear.its problly an early stereo(1958)on the website they had it in a console.now on another website they had this video with a guy explaining rca stereo,i think its still up,just type 1958 rca stereo and it should show up.thats a nice stereo though,are you gonna work on it?

charlie

re: RCA MX-7

There was one of those on eBAY last year (a bit nicer looking than yours, Chad, I'm afraid). Did you see it?

I'd never seen one before either, but it sure looked cool. Does yours work?

That's great to see a nice looking one! Mine was snactched from the jaws of the dumpster! It does work quite well even without any repairs (though could probably use some new caps).

well im a happy dude tonight,i took the record player apart and put it back together and its working great even switch records without a problem,the only thing thats bugging me,is that when i played a 33 it seemed like it was playing at 35 rpms.either way i have something to play my 78s on.is it me our do 78s sound much better on a tube amp,i mean i put a drifters 78 on my pilot reciver and it sounded awful,the typical hiss and pops,but on this rca you hear nothing but the music,no hiss or pops.thanks again for the advice bill ,i love tube audio!

Back
Top Bottom