Optimus Pro SW-12 passive subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchieType

Optimus Pro SW-12 passive subwoofer

I have an irrational desire to buy one of these offered locally for $30.

Somebody stop me - unless I really should.

And if I were to hook them up before my New Large Advents, will I be crying tears of joy or sadness?

(Nice picture huh?)

Attachments

• Optimus.jpg
    Optimus.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 51
I actually saw this sub reviewed in a magazine in about '95 or '96. They started by saying that $200 subwoofers were invariably crap. Then they said that this was why they were so shocked that this $150 subwoofer wasn't crap.

I've reread this review within the last few years and I believe I can quote some funny parts. "A low rent woofer in a flimsy beaver board box does not a subwoofer make." And they heard "some pretty meaty woofin' going on".

Anyway, they liked it, with one caveat. They said the built in passive crossover crossed at 250hz, too high for a subwoofer. I have three of them and like them pretty well. I have used various active crossovers to limit them to a more realistic 80hz and below. By this point in it's life it is likely to need refoaming. I've already had to do two of mine, so if you do go to look at it, take a Phillips head with you so you can check the surround.

...Anyway, they liked it, with one caveat. They said the built in passive crossover crossed at 250hz, too high for a subwoofer. I have three of them and like them pretty well. I have used various active crossovers to limit them to a more realistic 80hz and below...

Please. tell me more, O Stereofanboy

Is it possible to mod the existing passive crossover to a lower freq?

What are you use for an active crossover? Did you build it? Kit or home made? Schematic?

Sometimes, I've used them with a receiver with a dedicated subwoofer output with adjustable crossover frequency, along with a separate power amp. I've even used a car stereo electric crossover powered by a 12 volt power supply that would plug in the wall, along with a separate power amp.

I think the next thing I will try will be a crossover similar to the stock one, just with a lower crossover point. I got a couple of these on e-bay from someone selling surplus CerwinVega parts a few years ago for a project that never materialized. In this scenario a separate amp won't be necessary.

Most of my tinkering is free entertainment, because I use stuff I already have lying around. It might not be financially efficient to copy any of my efforts if you don't already have the stuff lying around unused.

Probably the cheapest route would be a passive crossover like the one I plan on trying when I get around to it. I just looked, and e-bay seller "mavin" is selling some crossovers similar to what I have and at a cheap price, too. Any of the other methods would involve spending more than you would on a powered sub from Best Buy.

Probably the cheapest route would be a passive crossover like the one I plan on trying when I get around to it. I just looked, and e-bay seller "mavin" is selling some crossovers similar to what I have and at a cheap price, too. Any of the other methods would involve spending more than you would on a powered sub from Best Buy.

Couldn't you just mod the existing xover by changing the caps and or resistors to different values?

I wouldn't know what to change them to - but it seems possible...

Perhaps I'll go get them and ask questions later :yes:

If you know how to design crossovers, then yes. If you don't, then you won't even know what to order. The ones sold by that guy on e-bay are probably about as cheap as buying the parts from Parts Express. We're talking about ten or twelve bucks plus shipping.

My computer audio system runs through an SW-12. It's really not bad, but I use it with tiny wall-mounted speakers that need help in a pretty broad range of frequencies.

I bought it.

Wow - sounds terrible with my New Large Advents. :yuck:

Crossover is WAY too high at 200 hz. No bass coming from advents at all, and a highly directional boominess from the sub. Not helped by the fact that I had to place it some distance from the Advents, which are on bookcases on either side of my fireplace.

Fatiguing would be a vast understatement.

I've started a father/son project of modifying the crossover with my 13-year-old who is really getting into electronics. I'll start a thread in the speakers section.

Only paid $25 for the thing so it's no big deal.

I can see the value of the speaker as-is, if it was to be used with a pair of mini-monitors, but as a sub for a bookcase speaker... well forget it.

The guy I bought it from was using it with a pair of Minimus 7's, and it sounded fine.

Perhaps I should do the same, and leave it as is...

Here's a link to the new thread in the speaker forum:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4580141&posted=1#post4580141

Last edited:
I have a couple of those. I put partsexcpress plate amps in them. Solved the xover problem neatly.

You will find that passive xover components will cost alot at a lower freq. You should run the Advents straight, and not thru the xover in the sub. That is the worst part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom