Crossover Upgrades For Linaeum Tweeter Speakers

Theophilus Punoval

The Queen says it's OK...
I have a pair of Optimus LX5's as well as Pro 77's. The LX5's use the dipole Linaeum tweeter and the Pro 77 have a monopole.

Does anyone have a schematic for a crossover on these models and instructions on how to wire them in? And is there an advantage for using dipole instead of monopole or vice versa?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about a crossover upgrade, but I put some duct seal in the front face and speaker basket, stuffed it with a pile of poly, and man does it sound better! The low mid hump has cleared up considerably.

I'm interested in a crossover mod if there are any good ones.

You may have already seen that Dennis Murphy reworked the crossover for the LX550 iteration of this dipole tweeter two-way.

Murphy's proposed upgrades, with or without tweeking perhaps, may work for the LX5. They address issues of woofer breakup overlapping the tweeter, similar to that reported by Stereophile in their review of the LX5.

The thing is, the LX550 uses a different woofer than the Pro 77's and the LX5 used about three different woofers during it's run. I have a pair of Pro X88AV's (ported and shielded version of the Pro-77) and I'm going to convert the crossover to a second order LP/HP with a Zobel on the woofer.

I really, really don't like the enclosures of the LX5's and I'll be parting out the tweeters on the ones I have rather than trying to fix the enclosures. Because the models with the mono-pole Linaeum tweeters are much more placement friendly, I prefer them.

Back
Top Bottom