Hi all,
I have a pair of the Celestion SL6 Speakers with Copper domes and
want to upgrade the original Alcap capacitors, so what I did was but in
a set of Solen so while there nice now the 400V do suck a lot of the sound
out, would 250volts be better or another brand, what are your experience
with different caps for speakers.

Thanks
tube

The voltage shouldn't make any difference like that. I use Solen caps on most everything and think they do a great job...others, well, have their own opinions. You could always try another brand like the Dayton 5%, Sonicap (mo money) or ClarityCap and see what your ears think. But remember, caps need a little break in time before they start sounding their best. Give them a little more time.

The voltage indicates capacity and shouldn't interfere with the passage of sound. You might check your soldering points and see if the connections are patent. Another option may be to remove the drivers and check the resistance of each. 400 volts is a bit of overkill, in my opinion. As long as the capacity is at least 100 volts, that should suffice. Also, I find Solen caps a tad bright in the treble. Bennic caps, at a fraction of the price, should do nicely. I've got a pair of Celestion 100's. I haven't yet re-capped them, since they sound fine as is.

To me, "suck a lot of the sound out" means obviously, obviously audible dullness vs before. If that's what we're talking about, either something is wrong or you managed to grow accustomed to a severe leakage/drift in the old parts. Check connections, make sure you didn't cook a resistor while soldering in the new parts, etc. Btw, always do one speaker first and compare with the original. Don't trust your memory to tell you what you've changed.

Last edited:
To me, "suck a lot of the sound out" means obviously, obviously audible dullness vs before. If that's what we're talking about, either something is wrong or you managed to grow accustomed to a severe leakage/drift in the old parts. Check connections, make sure you didn't cook a resistor while soldering in the new parts, etc. Btw, always do one speaker first and compare with the original. Don't trust your memory to tell you what you've changed.

Hi,
I should really rephase that, my meaning was it didn't sound as open
and loud as it was before the change, sometime speakers a voiced with
a cap that they originally used, so changing to a different type changes
the sound to much, but this is a start and will be searching for a good
match.

tube

Hello guys, some xperience Celestion SL6 + Yamaha AX amplifier? I want to know because I want to change my boom standfloor 's with something bookself but more musical, more natural.thx in advance!

Which SL6 are we talking about the Copper domes or the Aluminum domes and
how many Watts does the Yamaha have??

Tube

I replaced the Alcap electrolytics in my Celestion DL8's with 400v Mundorf MKP's (left the electrolytic woofer cutoff in place). I thought it made somewhat of an improvement, most notable in vocal clarity, though the results weren't as noticeable as they have been with other speakers.

I find the Celestions to be very musical and natural for jazz and vocals. They need a sub to light up a room, and they wouldn't be my first choice for Black Sabbath.

I have those there really nice speakers, they need a lot of power, 115watts
should be fine with those, there high end is really smooth but the midrange
is beautiful on those very transparent. my tube stuff tops out at 25watts
per channel which isn't enough for those, but I still get nice sound out of them
anyway.

THX a lot tube-a-lou! Your infos really help to know more about Celestion and music Xperience :tresbon:
So, I understund how those speakers is really top end, audiophile, very very good soundstage&stereo separation,and corse make good job with Yamaha AX 892.
What I have for now is a pair of Quadral odin mkII...standfloor...nice, very dinamic..but overkiller for my apartment.anyway, the sound is good.
Thank's again.
best regardes.:thmbsp:

FINALLY Celestion SL6 in my house!:D
Very nice, in excellent condition even is so ...vintage ( 1982 ! ).
Ok, about the sound:
First, YES is true, Celestion SL6 need a lot of power for a good sound but with the Yamaha AX892 amplifier at 115 w /8 ohmi or 160 w/4 ohmi I have a verry good matching.
And is right, the high and midrange is verry fine, smooth, and loooot of details.The bass is really impresive with Yamaha: articulate, good reponse, and just enough for all the types of music what i listen..corse the power of amplifiers make the diference, not the same bass with the Onkyo amplifier 8051 and Creek A50i.
Is a real pleasure to listen chillout, new wave, ambiental, jazz or classical but the same time others genres like electrodance, trance or radio.. (real pleasure for me Paul Hardcastle, Enya, Lisa Gerard, Fletwood Mac or Mylene Farmer)
Overall the sound is neutral, verry transparent, details... maybe a little to flat and for this reason I'm not sure if the sound is 100% real, but verry good soundstage.:music:
THANK'S again for your help friends!
Best regards.

p.s.: BTW, some opinions about another historycal speakers.?I'm talking about B&W P4manufactured in 1994. :scratch2:

Hi,
Glad you like them, What no Pictures, but what you said is all true smooth
with that great midrange and soundstage, I would be listening to mine more
but I got the 100's and they have a little more output than the 6's.

Tube

Thank's tube-a-lou! Is a very good speakers for jazz, blues or voice, corse with a good power amplifier, and certainly needs the stands not less 70 cm.
I dont know anything about the 100's but I guess they are more advanced like the 6's ...because I guess they are newer.
BTW, another intresting vintage speakers what I heard is B&W P4... good sound with one DYI tube amplifier... very good soundstage but like Celestion need lots of power for a good sound.:tresbon:

Acoustique

Last edited:
Hello friends,
I want to upgrade the original old capacitors from Celestion SL6... because I think upgrading the capacitors make the sound higher&better. Can you reccomand some capacitors for this operation?...But I don't no What kind of capacitors (values&power, etc) make the Celestion SL6 optimum sound?:music: thx!

Here we go, your traveling the same path I'm doing, I put in Solen Caps
there a little brighter, But I put in the 400v, I think 250v would be better.
There's a lot more bass I notice with the 400v, so I would try the 250v,
crossovers don't need all that stored voltage in there, plus those woofers
are hard to get if they get burnt out and are a little sensitive.

Tube

Thank's Toube-a-Lou! Your experience is interesting...but the 250v is the original value of caps? So you want to change de 400 caps?
Anyway I think is important to put the same values caps in Celestion... to respect the principle of building and corse the optimal parameters. What do you think?is important? ...hm, I think need to examine them carefully.

Thank's Toube-a-Lou! Your experience is interesting...but the 250v is the original value of caps? So you want to change de 400 caps?
Anyway I think is important to put the same values caps in Celestion... to respect the principle of building and corse the optimal parameters. What do you think?is important? ...hm, I think need to examine them carefully.

Hi,
The originals are 50v bi-polar Electrolytics called Alcap, so I put in
400v which I think is overkill, so my thinking is 250v, 4.7uf and 8uf
respectfully. :scratch2:

Tube

Hi,
The originals are 50v bi-polar Electrolytics called Alcap, so I put in
400v which I think is overkill, so my thinking is 250v, 4.7uf and 8uf
respectfully. :scratch2:

Tube

Hi Tube,
at 400v or even 250v is not dangerous for you to burn the speakers?:scratch2:

So, yesterday I opened the speakers. wher I saw TWO caps:
1. the Alcap 50v at 4,7 uF
and
2. the starCon cap : 100v at 10uF, +/-10% LL ... withc probably is the mid/bass filter.

Back
Top Bottom