Did Philips ever make a good turntable?

kdryan

Pioneer Addict
I saw one at Goodwill for $20 and almost picked it up. It looked a little better than average, but not like a great one. Should I go back? :)

Kevin

Depends which one it is.
If I find a cheap GA202/212/312 I'll take it because of looks. It performs decently too.
And then there are those models that show current 'stylus force' on a digital read out, pretty nifty feature. A lot of models seem to have those like F7215 777 887 867. But beside that feature.. Not that interesting imho.

And something "historical" like a Philips Mignon is interesting as collectible.

But, they never made a great tt in terms of performance that I know of..

Last edited:
They made some nice tables, but sometimes I think some of their tonearms (GA-212 for example) looks cheap. I am sure they're nice performers, too bad I could never hear mine. However, the tonearm was almost an exact design to some of the 80s BIC turntables I've seen and those were cheaply made.

Overall, sprung platter, good motor, decent arm = decent performers.

I think your assessment of better than average but not great fits very well. The 312 I had was far from a great turntable, but considering its built quality (or lack of), it sounded much better than I thought it would. It sounded very nice for what it was.

Seriously? It's too late today, but maybe tomorrow morning, first thing. Why do you say that?

If it's a 212 or 312 it's worth picking up for sure. They have a very nice suspension and an automatic shutoff at the end (arm pops up and the unit shuts off, no arm return). Some of them have issues with the capacitance touch controls, but still worth looking into.

And some of them sport nice cartridges too.
I always check the tables for a cart as many times the cart is the better part of the deal.

Yup, pretty nice tables :yes: But for 20 bucks, on a Sunday, its probably gone. If not, grab it:thmbsp:

I have a 202 that needs a belt (awaiting shipment) and it looks lovely which is why I pulled the trigger:

f0018137_4deca5df7f437.jpg

As others have said above I expect it to sound decent having nice suspension and all. The bugger bit is the proprietary headshell which can cause you good grief. I'm about to sort that out too with the aid of one generous kickass AKer. Will let you know whether I actually like the sound when I get everything in place.

202, 212, and 312 all very nice performers. No Thorens but more than good. Poor man's Thorens was a common nickname. Even I owned and loved a 212 and was happy with mine.

So if you all had to put a price on one in good shape, how much? I'm not planning on flipping it, but hey...

Ok, so I went back and got it. It's a 212 and I actually kind of like it. It sounds nice and the little touch sensitive buttons are neat. On ly one of them lights up. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be that way or should all three light up when activated? I like the wood base a lot. The platter and tone arm seem to bounce around in the base a lot, but it doesn't affect playing the thing. I think (Yes, I am a noob) it's to absorb the shock. All in all a good little turntable, IMHO. I may set it aside for my first restoration project, if I get that adventurous. That's a reflection on he cover in the second shot, not scratches or anything.

BTW, the album is 'Picture This' by Huey Lewis and the News... :)

IMAG0161a.jpg

IMAG0160a.jpg

IMAG0162a.jpg

All the lights are supposed to light up. That is a common problem with the 212. The 312 had LED bulbs I believe. I love the "Touch" controls.Nice table :)

Back
Top Bottom