shipping heavy speakers. advice please.

markmark

Hello,
I will need to ship Pioneer cs-99a speakers. (I have 4 of them). They are 25"h x 17"w x 12"d & weigh 55lb each. I do not have original boxes. Packing these so they don't get damaged with UPS will be tricky. I'm thinking about putting all 4 in a huge box, strapping to a pallet & shipping by motor freight which will cost a little more but get there safer. (I think).

Does anyone have any advice, tips or experiences (good & bad) on heavy speakers being shipped. What went wrong with the ones that got damaged?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• CIMG6368.JPG
    CIMG6368.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 15
I shipped a relatively huge set of speakers on a pallet. 6.5' tall and over 400 lbs. I wrapped them in several layers of thick cardboard with reinforcement along the long edges, plastic wrapped the whole thing to the pallet and used ratchet ties to really hold the things down to the pallet. It was a tough packing job, but made it all the way to Alaska from California in one piece (truck -> barge ->truck). Speakers aren't necessarily bottom heavy and the ratchet ties were good insurance. You could also crate them before putting them on a pallet for more protection.

I don't know how much it cost, the buyer sent the truck over. But it got there in about a week.

The typical damage I would guess would be from physical jarring and being pierced by a careless forklift operator. I guess one could ship the drivers separately or maybe glue the magnets to the baskets to make sure they don't come loose on the trip.

And I expect this thread will be moved soon...

Should have been posted in Packing and Shipping or whatever...I found this out last week when I posted about receiving some speakers in terrible condition.

Anyway, FWIW I just recently sold two pairs of Pioneer CS-99A's through CL and took them to FedEx and had them package them that way if there is ANY damage whatsoever ANY claim made is AUTOMATICALLY accepted. Well worth it in my opinion and relatively inexpensive peace of mind. I was told ALL speakers arrived in perfect condition.

Hello,
I will need to ship Pioneer cs-99a speakers. (I have 4 of them). They are 25"h x 17"w x 12"d & weigh 55lb each. I do not have original boxes. Packing these so they don't get damaged with UPS will be tricky. I'm thinking about putting all 4 in a huge box, strapping to a pallet & shipping by motor freight which will cost a little more but get there safer. (I think).

Does anyone have any advice, tips or experiences (good & bad) on heavy speakers being shipped. What went wrong with the ones that got damaged?

Thanks,
Mark
Based on past experience, on the receiving end of poor shipping, I'd be inclined to go with freight as well. I would pack them with back sides out to minimize risk to the grills and drivers.

If you ship UPS, FedEx, then you'll want to box separately (just the way they came from the factory). Get boxes with at least 2" clearance on all sides (top and bottom of course) and use expanding packs in the corners. Otherwise use multiple layers of cardboard folded over to protect the corners. The corners are the strongest point of support, but also need protection from corner "hits".

Main thing is not using anything that shifts or settles. Once stuff shifts and settles the "head banging" begins. Speakers banging into each other cause significant damage, again speaking from experience (4 Mach Ones).

I ship allot of speakers all over the country. You can buy wardrobe boxes at Uhaul that are HD and will handle the speakers. Then go to a furniture store and fill you car with solid sheets and edge pieces of styrofoam. Put at least 2" of solid styrofoam in the bottom. Then wedge styrofoam at the corners to brace the speakers. Then fill in with sheets to protect. DO NOT SHIP UPS. SHIP FEDEX GROUND. I have shipped speakers weighing 85# with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom