Weekend Score? Linn Nexus LS250, info appreciated

williwoods

Walked into my favorite thrift this weekend and there were a nice pair 7.5/10 of Linn Nexus LS250 speakers. Took me a minute to figure out how to remove the grill. Surrounds are perfect (what material are these? they are not foam), one of the tweets was pushed in a tiny bit, but I was able to pull it back out with tape. All drivers are working and the sound is quite nice, very bassy compared to my Ohm's. They did not come with the stands unfortunately.

Are these keepers? I have been trying to find specs of them online but have not found any info. I did find the manual on Linn's site but no specs. Also trying to find the retail price, they look to have been introduced in 1988. They are actually giving my Ohm Walsh 2's a run........Which would you choose?

Best of all I paid .....$20 :banana:

anyone have any opinions of these? Specs?

Some info here : http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/legendstory.html

I owned a pair myself a few years ago & found biwiring them really helped... They are strongly disliked by British "flat earthers" But I found them very enjoyable.

Sorry but I cant remember the specs but can tell you that I upgraded to a pair of Linn Keilidh & preferred the Nexus !

Last edited:
Why 'flat earth'? The term was originally used in a somewhat derogatory manner by many in the UK hi-fi press when the Linn / Naim axis that had dominated the industry during the 80s gradually began to loose momentum. It is used by those who like pretty sounding hi-fi that usually can't hold a tune or play in time, more of which later on. Things now have moved on to the stage where 'flat earthers' are rather proud of the term! How can we take offence? Our hi-fi actually plays music!

Linn and Naim both sold their hi-fi using the concept that the actual portrayal of music was the most important factor -- this brought forth the concept of the 'tune dem'. The idea is that in any A / B dem of two components, one usually allows the listener to 'sing the tune in their head' far easier than the other. This component is the better one, regardless as to how pretty the other may sound -- i.e. musical content over presentation. Now 30 years on it is hard to believe how radical this approach was, but bare in mind that hi-fi was then still being sold almost entirely on specifications. It is still sadly very often the case that an expensive high end audio system actually holds a tune far worse than a basic transistor radio.

The other key concept that both companies firmly believed in was 'front end first' i.e. that the source component is by far the most important element in any audio system. If the information is not there at the start it can not be brought back later, no matter how good the amplifier or speakers are. Garbage in, garbage out. With any budget the majority of cash should be sunk into the source components, it is absolutely amazing to hear what quite affordable amplifiers and speakers are capable of when fronted with a real heavyweight source. This is in my opinion unquestionably the correct approach to selecting a audio system that is enjoyable to listen to in the long term.

Far too much audio equipment sounds unnaturally pretty: Hi-fi systems that produce 'smooth' or 'liquid' hi-hats and cymbals are inherently wrong. Hi-fi systems that produce 'soft' snares are equally wrong. A cymbal is in effect a bit of sheet metal formed into a slightly conical profile that is repeatedly hit with a wooden stick... sweet, smooth, delicate... yeah right. A snare drum is a metal or wood cylinder with a taut tuned skin on the two flat ends, with a series of tensioned metal springs on the underside, picture this construction in your mind, now hit it hard with a wooden stick. Did you get a soft sound? Audio systems with great gobs of bass may at first seem impressive, but try following the actual tune the bassist is playing, or hearing how the bass line grooves in with the drums. Slow fat bass is wrong bass.

The mainstream hi-fi press seems to be in a very sorry state at present, lacking any real direction, consistency or continuity, and giving the impression that advertising revenue is the sole driving force. The ideologies and products portrayed within the glossy pages are for the best part questionable and often laughable. The qualities that seem to hold the most appeal to reviewers seem to have little or nothing to do with the accurate reproduction of music. Bland systems to play bland AOR music on would appear to be the order of the day. I'll have none of that round here thank you!

For more information on "Flat earth" google a forum called pinkfishmedia. [The above text is the forums manifesto!]

While liking Naim equipment, and not having heard enough Linn to make an informed opinion, it seems to me that that manifesto is pretty tendentious. There were plenty of people who had actually been listening to music and judging equipment by that standard for decades before Linn started using the concept as a weapon to bludgeon anyone who paid attention to specifications (which, of course Linn did too, and their specs tended to be pretty good for all the ostensible focus on PRAT). It is true that Linn did make the garbage in/garbage out argument pretty effectively in terms of the audiophile community -- the mass market has never bought it -- they use to want lots of bass, and now they want volume, and cheap.
I think it would be a suprise to Bozak, Fulton, Marantz, Hartley, Briggs, Lowther, Voigt, Chaves, Walker, Gow, Brociner, Fried, both Scotts, Fisher,and many others to find out that live music wasn't the obvious reference point for audio equipment.

I took a quick look at the site, and am not sure what tune-dem means, or if it is a step up from anecdotal evidence. If it is recording and playing back various components so that others can hear the test, the record/playback medium becomes the limiting factor very quickly as you improve performance from a very low level. And any playback situation is dependent on the particular circumstances of the test -- indoors, outdoors, wood frame house, brick/stone/adobe house, highly damped room, live room, dead end, live end, and so on. So it seems to me you are still in the situation of having to decide if you trust someone's ability, set up, or opinion, or if you don't.

Linn used to suggest a few questions to ask yourself as you compare components or systems in a hifi shop, the idea being to focus more on the musical performance as reproduced by the equipment rather than worrying about bass, treble, stereo image, etc.:

1. Do all the musicians seem to be playing together?
2. Can you hear all the instruments all the time?
3. Can you pick out the bassline or any other musical part and follow it without difficulty?
4. Are you responding to the music--for example, tapping in time?

The tune dem is explained fairly well at this site:
http://www.hawthornestereo.com/advice/judging.html

Oh -- because it was an unfamilar name, I took it to be something more formal for comparing equipment, perhaps by actually recording systems and comparing the recordings. It seems to me to be another way of refering to PRAT -- is that more or less correct?

So does anyone have an opinion of these speakers? Are they any good? Do they suck? I guess they are fairly rare considering how few people have responded to the original question and how little info I have found on them.

I suspect Linn speakers are fairly rare in the US, so most AKers probably can't comment on them. Linn equipment is expensive, and more so in the US, and there are plenty of high end alternatives that are made here and cheaper/better known/less teak and more walnut or mahogany or whatever. So not common.

Yeah that is kind of what I figured. In that sense they are very cool, since not many folks have seen or heard them. Not that anyone would have changed my mind, I will be keeping them.

Why 'flat earth'? The term was originally used in a somewhat derogatory manner by many in the UK hi-fi press when the Linn / Naim axis that had dominated the industry during the 80s gradually began to loose momentum. It is used by those who like pretty sounding hi-fi that usually can't hold a tune or play in time, more of which later on. Things now have moved on to the stage where 'flat earthers' are rather proud of the term! How can we take offence? Our hi-fi actually plays music!

Linn and Naim both sold their hi-fi using the concept that the actual portrayal of music was the most important factor -- this brought forth the concept of the 'tune dem'. The idea is that in any A / B dem of two components, one usually allows the listener to 'sing the tune in their head' far easier than the other. This component is the better one, regardless as to how pretty the other may sound -- i.e. musical content over presentation. Now 30 years on it is hard to believe how radical this approach was, but bare in mind that hi-fi was then still being sold almost entirely on specifications. It is still sadly very often the case that an expensive high end audio system actually holds a tune far worse than a basic transistor radio.

The other key concept that both companies firmly believed in was 'front end first' i.e. that the source component is by far the most important element in any audio system. If the information is not there at the start it can not be brought back later, no matter how good the amplifier or speakers are. Garbage in, garbage out. With any budget the majority of cash should be sunk into the source components, it is absolutely amazing to hear what quite affordable amplifiers and speakers are capable of when fronted with a real heavyweight source. This is in my opinion unquestionably the correct approach to selecting a audio system that is enjoyable to listen to in the long term.

Far too much audio equipment sounds unnaturally pretty: Hi-fi systems that produce 'smooth' or 'liquid' hi-hats and cymbals are inherently wrong. Hi-fi systems that produce 'soft' snares are equally wrong. A cymbal is in effect a bit of sheet metal formed into a slightly conical profile that is repeatedly hit with a wooden stick... sweet, smooth, delicate... yeah right. A snare drum is a metal or wood cylinder with a taut tuned skin on the two flat ends, with a series of tensioned metal springs on the underside, picture this construction in your mind, now hit it hard with a wooden stick. Did you get a soft sound? Audio systems with great gobs of bass may at first seem impressive, but try following the actual tune the bassist is playing, or hearing how the bass line grooves in with the drums. Slow fat bass is wrong bass.

The mainstream hi-fi press seems to be in a very sorry state at present, lacking any real direction, consistency or continuity, and giving the impression that advertising revenue is the sole driving force. The ideologies and products portrayed within the glossy pages are for the best part questionable and often laughable. The qualities that seem to hold the most appeal to reviewers seem to have little or nothing to do with the accurate reproduction of music. Bland systems to play bland AOR music on would appear to be the order of the day. I'll have none of that round here thank you!

For more information on "Flat earth" google a forum called pinkfishmedia. [The above text is the forums manifesto!]
Companies/Businesses stay in business by driving sales. Sadly the fuel of the audio "economy" revolves around portability, fast/easy transfer, gobs of storage, etc. The minority, most of us here, believe in music. We are too small to make any kind of difference, hence the huge costs associated with products that cater to our needs.

Like Linn and Naim, Bose was trying to educate people on "real" sound, which of course in any form other than a well damppened room, will have reverberation. Now, this is not an argument in favor of Bose, but merely pointing out that it was about the music and not the equipment. There are of course other speakers that can do as well and some (for which I haven't listened to) that are said to be better than Bose.

If it's not apparent I'm in agreement about what the music "should" sound like as opposed to what the system is "producing" for my listening. I spent too many years around live performance, in many forms, and have never been impressed with any audio system I've auditioned such that I felt compelled to buy it. Impressed at times, yes, but not to where I said "I gotta have that!"

Not having read the other links I can only assume that flat earth comes from reference to when people believed the world to be flat, even when it became quite apparent it wasn't. Of course, this being the Matrix, who knows, eh?

Linn speakers are OK, despite the audiophile jargon IMO. I had some Linn Tukans and they were nice with Piano music, but thin sounding and lacking dynamics IMO. The OP really scored though for the amount paid, I paid 400 for the small 6 inch woofer Tukans used.

I had a pair of Nexus somewhere around 1987 or so, driven by Linn and Naim electronics. I traded in a pair of Linn Kans for a pair of Nexus, and honestly, I ended up liking the Kans boogie-factor better in the end, but the Nexus were a pretty smooth sounding speaker. Linn went through a little period of time with speakers that really weren't all that popular here in the US-the Helix and Nexus were two at the time I recall.

The original Kustone stands that the Nexus typically came with looked nice but were kind of fiddly to install. I ended up putting mine on a pair of Target stands with a little better result, but I would have been condemned by the Flat Earthies at the time. I did like the way the grills were more or less socks that slipped onto a ridge in the baffle though, very nice.

For the money you got them for, I would just enjoy the heck out of them, they are pretty nice. Tim

I just got a pair of these and really like them quite a bit. I've got them siting next to my carver amazings and they do belong in the same room, in my limited listening to them. I will say that depth of soundstage is pretty good. Willie Nelson stardust sounds like he's almost behind the wall and they do almost disappeared more than the carvers, which could be do to setup constraints.

Back
Top Bottom