Ohms switch on some receivers

Dustin_Broke

Dustin Broke is HOT!!
When you have a receiver like some of the Kenwoods that have a ohms switch what does it actualy do? Like if you have 4 ohms speakers and you set it to less than 8 ohms what's the difference from having it less than 8 ohms or 8 ohms or more? I heard some people say that it's best to keep it to 8 ohms or more even if you have 4 ohms speakers but is that true? They said something about clipping could happen but I don't know what that means. I just wonder what does the switch actual do when you change from less than 8 ohms or 8 ohms or more.

Generally a switch of that nature implements current and or voltage limiting to try to keep the amp from getting too hot when running the lower impedance.

I suggest leaving the switch in the 8 ohms position, regardless of speakers, for best audio performance.

So technicly it lowers the voltage of the whole amp so it doesn't get too hot? Or what do you mean nature implements current or voltage limiting?

It's basically a big sign on the back saying "I am not the best choice for your 4-ohm speakers - sell me and get something else for the same amount of money". ;)

Well I thought I finaly found a receiver that will accept 4 ohms speakers since it says on the manual It will accept one pair of 4 ohms or 6 ohms speakers.

Hmm, sorry. Well, it will still do fine as long as the speakers are reasonably efficient. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't getting too hot. I would probably go against whoaru's advice if you are short on money and need to prevent damaging this over possibly getting better sound quality. Which Kenwood is it? There are loads of affordable receivers that can handle a single pair of 4-ohm speakers. HK 330c, for example.

The receiver I have is the Kenwood KR-A3070. It was made in 1995 and I got it used from Ebay for a good deal price. It's just a basic two channel receiver since I only have one pair of speakers and it says it will accept 4 ohms speakers forsure. Even on the manual is says switch to less than 8 ohms of you have two pairs of 8 ohms speakers or if you just have one pair of 4 or 6 ohms speakers and select 8 ohms or more if you have just one pair of 8 ohms speakers. It clearly says on the manual. I was happy to find a affordable receiver that accepts 4 ohms but it seems like you guys are saying the manual it sorta lieing?

Last edited:
I was happy to find a affordable receiver that accepts 4 ohms but it seems like you guys are saying the manual it sorta lieing?

I've already given my opinion about where to set the switch, and linked in an article saying the same and describing why.

But for the receiver I have does it make it so the receiver won't get too hot like normal 8-16 ohms receivers do? Since what I wanted was the receiver I have to not get too hot and that will play perfectly fine using one pair of 4 ohms speakers. I thought this receiver must be build better or something to handle it.

So I should set it to less than 8 ohms so it will stay cool and won't have problems right? Since I think that's what you said basicly.

Well one of you guys said that I should not put it to 8 ohms or more to prevent from damage and to have the receiver last longer. Meaning the sound might not sound the best but to have the receiver last longer it's best to have it less than 8 ohms. I' am basicly short on money so that's why I got this used receiver and want it to last a long time.

Well, that's the great thing about the Internet. Ask a question, get a some responses and nearly as many different opinions. Mine, however, isn't going to change in this regard.

From whoaru's link, and also whoaru's opinion:
NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. In most cases we recommend the 8-ohm or more setting. The manufacturer puts them there for UL/CSA approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.

Let me be clear, I do NOT actually disagree with that. I only suggested the opposite because we don't know you, we don't know how well you will be able to recognize levels of heat and/or distortion that are signs of trouble, and we don't know what speakers you are using.

Who are you kidding?

I' am basicly short on money so that's why I got this used receiver and want it to last a long time.
Didn't you just start another nowhere post on rear speakers for some DPL receiver fron 1998?

Face it, you'll have another POS ina week or so and be right back here posting more questions, arguing with the answers, and ignoring any advice the kind people here bless you with, at least until they get wise to you like they did at AR.

You'll note I did post a link to this thread at AR where you posted the exact same question you did here. Why have two forums dancing for you?

FWIW, when in doubt, follow the mauual. Is that that difficult to understand?

I posted same topic here and on audioreview since I want to see whats the most common answer I get and choose that one. Everyone says differently so I need to get to see which is the common one since that is probley the most right answer.

Back
Top Bottom