Speakers Steve Jobs use to listen in 1982

tikunov

Hi all, do you know what are the speakers here?
062b.jpg

Pretty minimalistic.. huh?

They are Acoustat Model 3's with 3 esl panels per speaker. They are the early version because they have the wood trim at the bottom. In later versions of the same model the grill cloth extends all the way to the base. They are otherwise identical unless the interfaces have been upgraded to the Medallion version.
I'm very familiar with that particular model because in 1983 I sold a pair of Maggie MG-3's to buy a pair of Model 3's identical to those in the picture. They were my first electrostatic speakers. I've had nothing but esl's in my main system since then.

is it a macbook pro on his right? Oh, he is reading a paper magazine not an ipad, vinyls not itunes playlists? Quite a time that was... :)

Wouldn't surprise me if this was a publicity shot or if he broke into wozniak's house to take the picture. Some how I don't see him being really big on high fidelity sound reproduction.

I'm remember the photo from when it was first published, ages ago. It's his house in Atherton.

I always thought it was cool in a zen way.

For years he denied that it was his system and failed to support it. But now he's rich and he acknowledges that "he be the pappy" so his system doesn't have to live on wel fare anymore. Oh wait...

I don't think Steve-O led millions to listen to music on their computers, Napster did that. Crapple did provide us with the modern version of the walkman, and the sound quality is light years ahead of any walkman I owned in the 80s. It's not a replacement for hi-fi, it's a replacement for the walkman. The iPod docks are not a replacement for hi-fi, they replace the boombox.

People have always bought low-fi systems. Given the predecessors, the iPod is in pretty much every way superior to its antiquated predecessors, and given high enough bit rates (iPod supports lossless) and a good DAC, some of it might even pass as hifi. :)

What's the turntable, and can anyone identify the albums? I thought I recognized the album in front and the one just behind with the blue and yellow, but when I checked the records I had guessed I saw that I was wrong.

What's the turntable, and can anyone identify the albums? I thought I recognized the album in front and the one just behind with the blue and yellow, but when I checked the records I had guessed I saw that I was wrong.

I think one of the is Aja.

*EDIT*Nah, scratch that. I don't think it is. *EDIT*

Wouldn't surprise me if this was a publicity shot or if he broke into wozniak's house to take the picture. Some how I don't see him being really big on high fidelity sound reproduction.
Agreed, and notice there isn't an ounce of surface treatment.

Back
Top Bottom