6C33C-B dual triode

NOSValves

tubino said:
Nope, I regret that I didn't spend nearly enough time listening to that one and some others...

But yes, it's an interesting tube. Isn't it a low-mu high-current dual triode like the 6336, designed for use as a pass tube? I've heard several amps that use it, but mostly PP. I would guess that the OPT primary impedance doesn't need to be very high in any case.

It really was one heck of a nice sounding amp for the price of admission especially if SET is you cup of tea (If it is SET you have me wondering now). I'm not sure about the 6C33-B being a dual triode? I believe it was used in the Russian Migs as some type of Scope tube? The imformation on this tube is really slim out there on the net. It's funny you mentioned the 6336 my SET amp uses this tube one half per channel though very nice but way down in the power output compared to the 6C33-B the Almorro is rated at 18 watts but I'd be surprised if it really can do it. Heck if your right about the dual triode then maybe the Almorro is PP?

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
The 6C33C-B is a dual triode.

Here's a quote from meta-gizmo.com;

6C33B-3: This is a Russian manufactured dual triode voltage tube that has two triode tubes in one glass envelop. This tube which was no originally intended to be used an audio tube is gaining favor because of its very low output impedance, which is very desirable. This tube is also a great value in terms of cost. This tube doesn’t have the tonal refinement of the directly heated triodes, but is superior to pentodes. A number of American companies are now making amplifiers with this tube...but again, not at the level of refinement you can demand. Because there are two triode in every envelop if you are using a pair of tubes you are really using four triodes, which explains why you can get so much power from just a pair of tubes. You should also be aware that these tubes do not have a duty cycle life as long as the best audio tubes.

I wondered about the slight difference in numbers but I'm reading essentially the same description in an article about building a 15w SE amp using the 6C33C-B by Erno Borbely in an old Glass-Audio magazine.

Billfort,

I was just looking at some more specs I found and actually it is a dual tirode but the plates/grids are internally connected so its not a traditional dual triode in that you have to run them together it looks to me like they share one common Cathode? This is all foreign to me. Kind of a real cool setup. My 6336 is a true dual triode tube with independant plates, grids and Cathodes

Here is the information I just found

http://www.mclink.it/com/audiomatica/tubes/6c33c.htm

Craig

From the Borberly article;

It has two filaments and two cathodes. You can connect the two 6.3V/3.3A fillaments in parallel or in series, consuming a total of 42w. Maximum anode dissipation is 45W with one cathode operating, and 60W with both.

This is mostly over my head Craig but it might explain the thing a little better for you.

Well from what I can see the important part is the plates and Grids are connected so the tube has to run basically as a single tube. The filament information is to run it as a 6.3V or 12V I believe. New territory to learn always intrigues me. Now just find some time to actually play with it would be real cool. Trust me this is all new to me so were both lost ;) I'm a pentode man.

Thanks Craig

A friend of mine has a bunch of these things sitting in a box and a circuit layout ready to go, James makes some nice potted output trannies for them, the sockets are apparently the 'Achilles heel' here (these are major space heaters) but Yamamotto makes some nice ones...

Based on what I heard at AKfest, maybe a 6C33 amp should be on my DIY list :) .

Sockets are no problem the "Tube Store" has them for $5 each and they look pretty darn nice. I think the power and filament transformers will be the real killer. These tubes suck up some serious current on the plates and the filaments.

Craig

Big iron

NOSValves said:
I think the power and filament transformers will be the real killer. These tubes suck up some serious current on the plates and the filaments.
Hey all, in a couple weeks I'm going to start downsizing on the serious IRON I've collected. I'm sure I could spare a 6.3vct @ 20A xformer, and have lots of good plate xformers too. But I wouldn't be surprised if you could use a 120=>240 with full wave bridge and cap input to get the relatively low B+ for that tube, and 500w-1000w xformers like that are not hard to find.

Craig, if you want to make a trip to Toledo later this month, I'll lay out a big spread of transformers for you to pick from, with very reasonable prices. I've got to make space!

FWIW, the Almarrow A318 is on the dark side of reality. The treble is a bit rolled offf. Its a very forgiving amp though.
Jack

tubino said:
Hey all, in a couple weeks I'm going to start downsizing on the serious IRON I've collected. I'm sure I could spare a 6.3vct @ 20A xformer, and have lots of good plate xformers too. But I wouldn't be surprised if you could use a 120=>240 with full wave bridge and cap input to get the relatively low B+ for that tube, and 500w-1000w xformers like that are not hard to find.

Craig, if you want to make a trip to Toledo later this month, I'll lay out a big spread of transformers for you to pick from, with very reasonable prices. I've got to make space!

Tubino,

Man that is a great offer but in reality I'm so darn busy for the rest of this month even a day trip is going to be impossible. I have my yearly vacation coming up the end of the month and have to get some what caught up from the AKfest before I yet again get behind further.

If you could just snap some shots I would be interested in some transformers that would be fitting for a tube like the 6C33-B the tube just plain intrigues me.

Craig

Last edited:
I split the thread leaving the 845 biasing on it's own, just can't get the title changed where it shows up in the forum.

I think John Day made a stereo SET with a 6336 that we were calling Big Blue. I'll see if I can hunt it up.

As far as the Almarro goes in the environment that I heard it in it was impossible to say if it was on the dark side of tube amp soundstaging or not. With the Almarro speakers it was hooked to it certainly sounded much better than the paralled 6550s that I am taking for granted were triode strapped. The 6550 amp was causing the woofer to over excurt almost to the point of bottoming out on the back stroke while the 6C33 sounded like a great match up. The darkness Jack was getting might have been from the speakers used or it was just so nice to listen to an amp/speaker matchup that sounded right I just missed it.

Thatch_Ear said:
I split the thread leaving the 845 biasing on it's own, just can't get the title changed where it shows up in the forum.

I think John Day made a stereo SET with a 6336 that we were calling Big Blue. I'll see if I can hunt it up.

As far as the Almarro goes in the environment that I heard it in it was impossible to say if it was on the dark side of tube amp soundstaging or not. With the Almarro speakers it was hooked to it certainly sounded much better than the paralled 6550s that I am taking for granted were triode strapped. The 6550 amp was causing the woofer to over excurt almost to the point of bottoming out on the back stroke while the 6C33 sounded like a great match up. The darkness Jack was getting might have been from the speakers used or it was just so nice to listen to an amp/speaker matchup that sounded right I just missed it.

Thatch no need to find John Days 6336 amplifier I own it LOL !!!

Craig

The A318 would work if your system was a little on the bright side. I tried multiple sources, speakers , tubes, everything short of rebuilding the amp, it just didn't gel for me. The highs were noticably rolled off. Biasing was a PITA, and it took forever to stabilize (not sure it ever did).
I don't mean to sound so negative, it isn't bad for the price.
BTW, there is a review of it at enjoy the music.
Jack

Last edited:
Tatch,

I have over $650 in it after I bought it from Luther I had to have custom wound output transformers made for it because one didn't survive shipping severe channel imbalance. I talked to John about the specifications that the transformer should be wound at so its a perfect match. I mounted these up top. The originals were PP transformers chicago transformer EL84 types. Within its range its the darn nicest sounding SET amplifier I've heard. Very full, Detialed, rich and creamy! Nice balance ! Your wlecome to make me a offer. I have the boxing that Luther used which was extreme to say the least. But this beast is heavy. I also bought some spare tubes for it drivers and a 6336. I like the amp enough that losing much of my investment would lead me to just keep it. I hook it up every now and then because it adds a nice flavor to the mix. If I could get this sound with 30 watts for something near reasonable in cost I would be in heaven at least some of the time:)

Craig

Thatch

I think were talking about 2 different amps John Built, mine is a mad scientist project he did before the blue beast.

Back
Top Bottom