Curbside Console find today !!!!!

growl

Driving home today I spotted a console at the curb of a neighbors house. As I drove past I didn't think much of it. But something in my head wouldn't let me leave it alone. So I go back for a closer look and open the hood. "Holy Smokes" I say as I see "The Fisher" and "Dual" under there. Had a quick chat with the neighbor and sure enough, it was set out for the trash guy tomorrow. I asked him if it worked and he said he was listening to the radio a few weeks back but doesn't remember if the TT works. Great condition on the outside as well.

Pretty good friggin day I think.

Attachments

• IMG-20110717-00218.jpg
    IMG-20110717-00218.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG-20110717-00221.jpg
    IMG-20110717-00221.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG-20110717-00220.jpg
    IMG-20110717-00220.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG-20110717-00219.jpg
    IMG-20110717-00219.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG-20110717-00217.jpg
    IMG-20110717-00217.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
upon closer inspection - it is not. :tears:

Either way, I'm glad to save it from the landfill, and its got a Dual 1014 so I may just get over it.

Last edited:
I dont have the legs. But it looks like there never were any. Two reasons I say that - 1 in the photo on your link it almost looks as if the side rails and legs are one piece and there are no signs that someone cut them off mine. 2- there are sliders nailed in all four corners, so who knows ?? If they were removed, someone did it right and the brochures don't lie. Now that I know this is not tubed, its gonna be tough to not pull that Dual out. But the cabinet is soooo good looking.

That's no console version of black plastic crap. That's a fine piece, solid state or tubed. Synergistically designed and built.
I'd try and see what it does before I pulled out any pieces.

I dont have the legs. But it looks like there never were any. Two reasons I say that - 1 in the photo on your link it almost looks as if the side rails and legs are one piece and there are no signs that someone cut them off mine. 2- there are sliders nailed in all four corners, so who knows ?? If they were removed, someone did it right and the brochures don't lie. Now that I know this is not tubed, its gonna be tough to not pull that Dual out. But the cabinet is soooo good looking.

From the catalog they all seem to be 27-1/2" with legs or not - how tall is yours?

Nice grab!

That's no console version of black plastic crap. That's a fine piece, solid state or tubed. Synergistically designed and built.

Ya know after sitting and staring at it for a while and not being able to get any info on the Dual 1014 inside. I think I'll let it be and get it going as is. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Can I expect decent sound in the end ??

I'd find that out before worrying about anything else.

Some say yes, some say no. Depends on what you consider decent sound.

I'd just put it up a foot or so off the ground, bring the receiver up on a variac or dim bulb tester (plenty about how to build them on this site) and see what you've got.

It just strikes me that, if it were me, I'd want to find out what I have (soncially) before I decided what to do.

That is a great console. Hopefully the electronics will work, since they were quite nice for solid state. A very nice curb pick-up!

SWEET! The 67 Metro is one step above the Custom Electra, and below the Regent which is the FUTURA renamed. The 21R is roughly equivalent to the 200-T or 250-T receiver. 1st generation Solid State and voiced to sound "tubelike". Fairly easy to work on as each section of the schematic (equalizer amp, Preamp, Amp, Tone Control, IF and RF Amps) are built on individual boards, which lent itself to mix and match to get different combinations or models. I've found that they are very simple to troubleshoot, but god help you if a TUNER PART goes up. Then it's almost guaranteed to be a boatanchor unless you know a HAM TECH that can build his own parts or have a donor unit.

It's funny that the Philharmonic, Custom Electra, and the Metropolitan all use the 21-R in 67 but have different Wattage Ratings. The Philharmonic lists as 35 Watts and the CE and Metro list 45 Watts. Maybe speaker changes???

Larry

That is a really nice looking Console - I suspect well worthy of a resoration! I have noticed that the early Fisher SS Receivers are developing a bit of a following (based on E-Pay price points).

Nice find!

I would imagine there are very few solid state console brands that are any good.Fisher and Clairtone obviously,but who else?

Some of the comments here are pretty accurate.

The problem with solid state consoles is that after transistors were introduced every company rushed to make the biggest and best sounding transistorized units to be sold at a premium price, after the era of tubes was officially over, everybody's product (starting in the 70's) started to look the same, All had imported crap from taiwan in them for amps, and that ever-so-farmiliar cheap and reliable BSR changer with the black motor board and silver tonearm, With everybody's amps and changers coming from the same place, there was no longer a need for companies like Zenith and RCA to compete and try to ramp up quality as they did in the 50's, and when people started turning to the cheaper (and much smaller) component systems in the 70's consoles were no longer top sellers, so companies put a lot less effort into designing them, and companies like Zenith, RCA, and Magnavox started to die out because consoles were so intregal to their business, and THAT is truly why consoles went cheap, as my signature partially reads "Competition brings out the best in products" when competition was gone, stuff got cheap.

Thanks for the link. Very informative. With a little effort, I think I'll be mighty happy with my find.

Back
Top Bottom