My humble PS-lx300h

gmku

My then-wife, in a rare good mood, let me buy this turntable back in 1996 or so after my Yammie went kaput. I was thrilled, and kept it in use, first with the stock Sony cart and a few years later with an upgrade to a Grado Blue, for 14-plus years without a problem. It was just this past winter that I got hungry for something more retro and solid, and so I got my SL-1200 and couple other tables. But recently I've felt some pangs of nostalgia for this baby. It's in storage but I have half a mind to pull it out and put it back to use.

SO this thread is part nostalgia for this workhorse, part recommendation--if you're looking for a decent table for not much cash, grab this if you see it. I think Sears was clearing these out for $30 a pop a couple of years back! I think I paid around $200 at Best Buy in 1996.

It's plastic and the headshell and tonearm are not any great shakes but they are not bad either. It would be fun to tweak this one, such as putting some wrap on the tonearm, finding a better headshell, etc. It is very much like an SL-1200 in some of its features, particularly the pitch control.

Also I'd like to hear from anyone else who's had some experience with this. NOTE: It is a lot nicer than the more recent USB versions Sony made of this. The 90s retro table from Sony -- PS-LX300H

Nobody? I know it's just what it is--but my feelings are starting to get hurt here.

Last edited:
Well... I ran it in a test against my SL-23 today. SL-23 wins. :( So much for the humble Sony. Nevertheless, ye did serve me well all these years...

It was a cheap, hi-fi tt based loosely on the Technics design. Specs are not as good as Technics, and as you found, the sound quality isn't, either.

Back
Top Bottom