Tweeters !!!!!!

DVjorge

Hi guys,
I would like to open this thread to know what kind of tweeters do you prefer between aluminum, titanium, silk, beryllium, paper, etc.
So, what are the best sounding tweeters to your ears ??

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am quite fond of the soft dome tweeters/titanium dome supers in my Model Seven Kenwoods, and I am very partial to Ed May's Linear Polyester Film Domes used in his Marantz High Definition/ Design Series Speakers. Runners up are the cones used in the LS-408B Kenwoods, and the Graphite coned HPM Pioneers.

Emit all the way for me.
I also like ceramic and Ti domes.
Then beryllium comes a close third.

The worst IMHO that went into what was considered decent speakers - is the mylar and poly cell ... Infinity replaced the emits with polycells and decided that people wont really notice ... WTF, if you had ears made of stone ...

Paper is awful too, but most paper tweets went in trash like thrusters or other pulp trash.

Cool.
Srinath.

Silk or aluminum, two of the smoothest. The Allison dual-convex dome tweeter is also one of my favourites. It's made of paper. The renowned Celestion 1300 is also a paper tweeter. Titanium? Many good qualities, but tends toward brightness. Beryllium domes are also on the too bright, too analytical side of the spectrum, unless absolutely top-quality ancillaries are used. Also very costly to replace. Emits are nice tweeters but I've heard better. Ribbons, of which I've owned several, are too placement sensitive and usually have narrow listening windows due to dispersion problems. The Heil is one of my favourites, but again, is placement sensitive and is difficult to blend with many drivers. My favourite tweeter is the Walsh "ice-cream cone" tweeter. It seems to do everything well and radiates in a 360 degree dispersion pattern.

Last edited:
I love the melinex T27 tweeters in my KEF 104aB, but I also really like the EMIT tweeters in my Infinity RS 6b.

I have and have listened to many of the soft & hard dome types, a few EMITs, Heil AMT, a ribbon or two plus a few 'lowly' old fashioned paper cones such as CTS phenolic dome & JBL's LE-26, etc. Most sound fine to me if properly implemented. Anyhow, please don't toss those better paper cone CTS & JBL tweeters in the trash! They will get snatched up fast on eBay at the right price and the CTS in particular make for great DIY vintage speaker projects.

I have and have listened to many of the soft & hard dome types, a few EMITs, Heil AMT, a ribbon or two plus a few 'lowly' old fashioned paper cones such as CTS phenolic dome & JBL's LE-26, etc. Most sound fine to me if properly implemented. Anyhow, please don't toss those better paper cone CTS & JBL tweeters in the trash! They will get snatched up fast on eBay at the right price and the CTS in particular make for great DIY vintage speaker projects.
You got that right, as sold off 8 aluminum cone Bozak Zc tweeters a few years ago, and youd've thought they were made of gold.

A vintage AMT Heil for sure is tops for me. I agree-the CTS phenolic dome is a nice smooth tweeter, and still sounds good today-DLK made good use of them. Not a extended response unit-but it suprises me every time I listen to my DLK 1 1/2's that lowly tweeter aint' half bad.
The Peerless dome plate tweeter was a nice detailed and smooth tweeter as well. Air spring tweeter as well-still remember the first time I heard one.
I agree-just because a tweeter is made of pulp (or any driver for that matter) doesn't mean it's trash. Personally as far as woofers go, I prefer a paper cone.

Back
Top Bottom