Snell Type E II

battradio

Electron trainer
My Snells haven't sounded right for a long time , the previous owner made quite a mess of the them , he blew the woofers before i got them and at the time I put some mediocre replacement woofers in them .After taking them all apart and doing some reaearch , the front and rear tweeters had been exchanged . I tracked down a pair of Vifa 8" woofers close to the originals , one of the front tweeters had been replaced with a factory replacement but the magnet structure was different , so i located a pair of originals.
001-1.jpg

After pulling the crossovers to order new poly caps to rebuild ithem i found the 33MFD nearly open .This is why one of them sounded rather wierd , the front tweeter crossover is a little strange compared most i have seen , the rear tweeter crossover is just a 3 DB with a 3 MFD cap and a one ohm resistor .The woofer crossover is prety striaght forward with a 1.38 MH inductor and a 15.25 MFD cap .

There are a lot of crossover calculators on the internet to get the capacitor and inductor values when you have the crossover points are there any that if if you have the inductor and cap values that it will give you the crossover freqincies .

Last edited:
My Snells haven't sounded right for a long time , the previous owner made quite a mess of the them , he blew the woofers before i got them and at the time I put some mediocre replacement woofers in them .After taking them all apart and doing some reaearch , the front and rear tweeters had been exchanged . I tracked down a pair of Vifa 8" woofers close to the originals , one of the front tweeters had been replaced with a factory replacement but the magnet structure was different , so i located a pair of originals.
001-1.jpg

After pulling the crossovers to order new poly caps to rebuild ithem i found the 33MFD nearly open .This is why one of them sounded rather wierd , the front tweeter crossover is a little strange compared most i have seen , the rear tweeter crossover is just a 3 DB with a 3 MFD cap and a one ohm resistor .The woofer crossover is prety striaght forward with a 1.38 MH inductor and a 15.25 MFD cap .

There are a lot of crossover calculators on the internet to get the capacitor and inductor values when you have the crossover points are there any that if if you have the inductor and cap values that it will give you the crossover freqincies .

I'm sure there are somewhere but I haven't come across one.

I usually just reverse engineer the whole deal by guessing on the crossover points then massaging those points around until you hit or come close to cap and coil values.

RC

Are you saying you'd like a different design crossover, or what? If you want the original Snell sound, you should probably stick with the original design and values of the parts. Or am I not getting what you mean at all?

I have heard an intact pair recently is what has me motivated to to repair them correctly .Will compair them to my fortes and let you know how they compare .

Are you saying you'd like a different design crossover, or what? If you want the original Snell sound, you should probably stick with the original design and values of the parts. Or am I not getting what you mean at all?

I just want to figure the crossover points for them and other speakers ,all values of componets are as close to original as i can get will be going into them .I will rebuild the crossover on a new board and make it nicer looking .

If you are in the U.S. and are willing to spend a little money, there is a company called Carl's Speakers that has done a lot of work with Snell crossovers. You can Google him.

Back
Top Bottom