Philips bookshelf speakers?

I wonder if they're actually real wood. Because of resonance issues, most speaker manufacturers, even high end speaker manufacturers, prefer to use MDF (or a variant of this type of material).

I wonder, though, if he's saying that just to impress folks who don't know a lot about speakers (not that I know a ton about 'em).

I like Philips' gear. I use a 30-year old Philips turntable on a daily basis and love it. But I've never heard their speakers.

These are currently available online for less than half his asking price (edit: oops, out of stock, but they were available). They look like the ones from the MCD702 mini system but with a different tweeter? :dunno:. Probably not great, but who knows. Philips has made lots of really nice high end speakers off-and-on for decades. Their cheaper stuff and mini systems are all over the map from crap to excellent. Real wood? Well, whatever "genuine rosewood construction" means - probably a mix.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...-Shelf-Speakers-Set-of-2/4923687/product.html

Last edited:
I have had a pair for about a year. Paid $65.00/free shipping, brand new, off ebay. They are actually part of a component system that Philips sold a few years ago. MCD 702/37. If you google the model # for the system, you can get the specs from the manual. The speakers and the remote for the system, used, is for sale on ebay for $90.00 + $20.00 shipping. I bought them for two reasons, the ribbon tweeter, and the look of the cabinets. I was pleasantly suprised by both, considering the price I paid. The tweeter is pretty smooth, (maybe sometimes a little tinny sounding) and detailed and the cabinets are beautiful cherry (real wood) veneer. They are 8ohm, can handle 35w, and have a sensitivity of 80db +- 4db, which is their biggest downfall for me, since all my other surround speakers have a much higher sensitivity. Making these barely audible in my surround system. They do fine by themselves hooked up to my Marantz 2238B in a spare room though. They definately have a high WAF factor. Still would not pay $125.00 for them. Whew, that's just my opinion though. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom