Stanislaw
New Member
Hello, friends!
Recently when I was cleaning the stylus of my AT95E and looking at it through a small magnifying glass I noted some grey or white suff on it. It could not be removed with a brush and isopropanol. And I could not see what it actually was because my tools are of a very small magnification.
So, I decided to go to a laboratory with a decent microscope and have a closer look at my stylus. I went to the faculty of fishery at the State Technical University of Astrakhan where I live and luckily I was welcome. The lab personnel took me to the microscope that was connected to the camera and that could make snapshots!
Well, the lighting was not sufficient at all because the lab specialises in fish tissues and not audiophile styli!
Anyhow I manged to see what I wanted to see. And I became very surprized!
Below I post some of the pictures that I took of my sylus. You can click on the preview to see the full scale images.
Here is the general view of my stylus at x10 (if I interpreted the figures on the lens properly):

When I looked at the picture above I realized that what I was seeing before with a naked eye calling it a 'grey or white' stuff is actually a clear diamond! And it is painted (???) at its bottom part with something metallic as if to match the colour of the cantilever.
I am not sure if my interpretation of the picture (and the situation) is correct but anyhow I have never seen such pictures of the styli before in the Internet. All styli in the Internet are of 'homogenous' silver colour. They are not divided into transparent and metallic like mine.
So my question is if everything is fine with my stylus or should I shout and cry?
Please have a look at the pictures below as well. They are made at x40. The microscope lens was a short-focus type this is why I had to take snapshots 'by layers'. Anyway, the thing under question is visible there...




Recently when I was cleaning the stylus of my AT95E and looking at it through a small magnifying glass I noted some grey or white suff on it. It could not be removed with a brush and isopropanol. And I could not see what it actually was because my tools are of a very small magnification.
So, I decided to go to a laboratory with a decent microscope and have a closer look at my stylus. I went to the faculty of fishery at the State Technical University of Astrakhan where I live and luckily I was welcome. The lab personnel took me to the microscope that was connected to the camera and that could make snapshots!
Well, the lighting was not sufficient at all because the lab specialises in fish tissues and not audiophile styli!
Below I post some of the pictures that I took of my sylus. You can click on the preview to see the full scale images.
Here is the general view of my stylus at x10 (if I interpreted the figures on the lens properly):

When I looked at the picture above I realized that what I was seeing before with a naked eye calling it a 'grey or white' stuff is actually a clear diamond! And it is painted (???) at its bottom part with something metallic as if to match the colour of the cantilever.
I am not sure if my interpretation of the picture (and the situation) is correct but anyhow I have never seen such pictures of the styli before in the Internet. All styli in the Internet are of 'homogenous' silver colour. They are not divided into transparent and metallic like mine.
So my question is if everything is fine with my stylus or should I shout and cry?
Please have a look at the pictures below as well. They are made at x40. The microscope lens was a short-focus type this is why I had to take snapshots 'by layers'. Anyway, the thing under question is visible there...




Last edited: