ATTN: Yamaha MC-705 owners

Tuxman

What are your opinions on replacement stylus?

Replace with low output AT3100 new stock from LPgear?
Move up to a high output AT3200xs/II from an ebay seller NOS?
Retire the MC-705 and get a Denon dl-110?

My concern is the shelf life of the replacement stylus. Thinking that the bushing could harden up if not sealed, properly stored or just because it's old.

Last edited:
Replacement from LPGEAR most likely will have conical stylus. I got replacements from three different places. They all sounded great before getting to the inner groves. On the inner groves they seem have issues with tracking. And I do not think it is related to the hardening of the suspension. I used it on tangential TT so it is not alignment either. Having said it all - I did not wait for it to break-in. I moved to Denons.

DL-110 has its own issues. So I do not like it either.

What are your opinions on replacement stylus?

Replace with low output AT3100 new stock from LPgear?
Move up to a high output AT3200xs/II from an ebay seller NOS?
Retire the MC-705 and get a Denon dl-110?

My concern is the shelf life of the replacement stylus. Thinking that the bushing could harden up if not sealed, properly stored or just because it's old.

The AT 30E that came with one of my used turntable is very similar.:music:

Here is an elliptical replacement from LPtune/LPgear:
http://www.lptunes.com/Audio-Technica-ATN-3100-ATN3100-MC-needle-stylus-p/atn3100.htm

jason12

Also using a tangential. (Yamaha PX-3)

I've not red many bad reviews of the Denon 110. Tell me more.

Balifly,

Hey Balifly! You helped me out with my MCS 6602 w/shure M75 a while back. Thanks again.

With the MC-705 I like how the replacement stylus houses all the important stuff. It's like getting a new cartridge and stylus all in one. Thinking I stay with the mc-705 if the Denon has issues. Waiting to hear more from Jason. I want elliptical for sure. Leaning towards the high output AT3200 but sources are limited.

Last edited:
Hey Balifly! You helped me out with my MSC 6602 a while back. Thanks again.

I think that is the route to take if the Denon is not worth while. I like how the replacement stylus houses all the important stuff. It's like getting a new cartridge and stylus all in one.

I think the idea behind this design was to make it easy for people to swap out, so they don't have to re-mount and align.

Your question about the age factor of the NOS stylus is quite valid.

unless it is vacuum sealed......:scratch2:

I have not replaced my AT 30E stylus ($180.00 plus) so far.

It is being used sparingly ( it was from some one that I knew ).

The Denon DL-110 has a slightly different stylus then the DL-160 ( discontinued ).

I have the Denon DL-160 but not the Denon DL-110.

The main difference is the stylus, the DL-160 has a finer stylus than the DL-110.

At this price level, there are lots of new cartridge mm or mc to choose from.

Have at look at the thread about Denon cartridges from Comet Sales, very long wait though.:yes:

http://www.cometsupply.com//mn/DENON/

It is not elliptical. It is spherical. ATN3100E would be elliptical. But even then it might not. I got one ATN3100EX which supposed to be nude elliptical - it turned out being not nude at all.

Tuxman,
Before I say anything regarding Denon - I want you to know that I am probably more demanding to quality of sound than most of AK users. Anyway, first I find DL-110 still sounding somewhat muddy. Especially comparing to DL-301MK2. Second as I discovered recently that DL-110 and DL-301MK2 have another big (at least for me) issue. The spongy material (visible from the front of the cartridge) that makes the stylus suspension adds some crackle-like noise. The level is fairly noticeable. If I lift the cartridge from the LP I immediately can hear it while the needle returns to unloaded position. It is also visible on captured waves in PC.It takes about 10s to settle. It is likely making the same noise while playing especially on warped records. Still trying to estimate the impact of this issue.

Another cartridges (like DL304) do not have this issue. Guess because of one point suspension - no spongy material in front.

BTW, I think HO 3200EX from Will Thacker's website is not available. Even though it is still listed there. I emailed him while back and the answer was no.

It is not elliptical. It is spherical. ATN3100E would be elliptical. But even then it might not. I got one ATN3100EX which supposed to be nude elliptical - it turned out being not nude at all.

The description of the Audio-Technica ATN-3100 ATN3100 MC phonograph needle stylus from the web site indicates that it is an elliptical stylus.

http://www.lptunes.com/Audio-Technica-ATN-3100-ATN3100-MC-needle-stylus-p/atn3100.htm

The Audio-Technica ATN-3100 ATN3100 MC needle stylus features a highly polished special elliptical diamond with a .0003 x .0007 inch scanning radii. It offers superior tracing characteristic and excellent rendition of voice, music and harmonic detail.

Since I do not have the stylus in question and you do, I will take your word for it.:yes:

The description of the Audio-Technica ATN-3100 ATN3100 MC phonograph needle stylus from the web site indicates that it is an elliptical stylus.

The Audio-Technica ATN-3100 ATN3100 MC needle stylus features a highly polished special elliptical diamond with a .0003 x .0007 inch scanning radii. It offers superior tracing characteristic and excellent rendition of voice, music and harmonic detail.

Since I do not have the stylus in question and you do, I will take your word for it.:yes:

Yes, the description is wrong. I also think Audio Technica did not pay close attention to what styluses were installed on what P/Ns. These carts were used as starter MC in many tables. So the replacements were likely sold in bulk to the repair shops. And nobody cared what it was. I also have couple of ATN3100S which is essentially the same as ATN3100 - spherical. However I remember one website was advertising them as shibata.:D I think the chances are very high of getting spherical stylus regardless of the part number.

Another option is to send the MC-705 to SoundSmith to see if the stylus/canteliver can be replaced. The least exspensive SoundSmith stylus/canteliver is around $150. Some nice cartridges in your price range also show up on AK Barter Town and Audiogon.

merrylander,

Is the stylus on yours AT3100 or AT3100E?

The AT3100 is going for $69.99 from Neil Eiger over at Premium Parts+ which is the best I've seen new.

Last edited:
Tm: Ml's AT31E belongs to a different family of AT mc/mcho carts (AT31E/30E/30HE/50MC) with different needles - so the answer is: neither, nor.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Back
Top Bottom