The Quad/Gradient System. In my 'nook'.

JohnVF

Lunatic Member
This is the first time I've set up, in any lasting configuration, my full Quad/Gradient speaker system. The whole setup is a hodge-podge of modern and vintage gear that I've decided on based on how well it works together more than the strengths of any one piece.

The Gradient subwoofers are dipole, and were designed for the Quad ESL-63. My ESL-63s are pro monitor "PRO-63" versions, originally made for Philips, I believe, as location monitors- hence the handles, for easy transport, and some other changes to the standard 63. Its nice to get them out of my bedroom system (Harbeths are there now).

Source right now is my EMM Labs CDSA cd/SACD player. If I keep this setup like this, I'll bring my VPI over here. The preamp is a Sony TA-e86, from what has become known as their 'pre-Esprit' line. Amps are a slightly modified Dynaco ST-70 and a Robert Grodinsky Research Model 5. Cabling is a mixture of whatever was easiest to get to out of the closet, Audioquest and some well-shielded un-marked something or other, and Kimber 4TC speaker cable on both the subs and ESLs.

So a line goes from the preamp, to the Gradient crossover, which crosses over the Quads pretty high, and onto the amps. With the Quads crossed over around 100hz, I can power them with the Dynaco. Full range I run the Levinson 432 on them.

So onto the important part:

IMG_2134.jpg

The room really isn't big enough for them, but this was setup just for kicks. It sounds MUCH better than I anticipated. Room treatment would certainly help, and I need to pull the speakers out a bit more.

IMG_2122.jpg

The Quads bolt onto the Gradient subs. They then form a giant monolith that you must give daily offerings to. Kind of like Easter Island.

IMG_2129.jpg

Sony can do amazing things when they want to.

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

I need to dust the Dynaco. The Grodinsky amp was my main amp for a very long time- very under the radar unit. Here its just on the subs, and doing a nice job.

IMG_2144.jpg

Lulled into drooling by the sweet sounds of the Quad/Gradient speaker system...

Last edited:
Amazing pictures John, and even more amazing gear. Love the Quad/Gradients, super combo. It is interesting what Sony and other Japanese companies can do when they actually put their mind to it. Beautiful cat too by the way! Enjoy the tunes! Tim

Amazing pictures John, and even more amazing gear. Love the Quad/Gradients, super combo. It is interesting what Sony and other Japanese companies can do when they actually put their mind to it. Beautiful cat too by the way! Enjoy the tunes! Tim

Thank you, Tim. Harry, the cat, passes judgement on all my setups, by staying or leaving. He likes this one.

The Sony pre-Esprit line is some really special gear. The amplifier that matches the pre in this system, is even better than the preamp. The TA-n86, a small amp switchable into Class-A, at 18wpc. It's busy running my Harbeths right now.

Quad ESL speakers

Dude you've got an excellent audio set system there!
Especially those speakers! WOW! Very nice indeed!
Thanks for sharing.

Dood. Way less imposing than I'd imagined, but then again I'm not in the room with them. I'd sure like to be, though. It looks very inviting.

Don't think I've seen the Sony preamp in any of your other pics, or if I have, I didn't pay much attention to it. It looks really great--I can see (if not hear) why you like it so much.

And hey, there's Harry Biggums, friend of all mankind!

Just fantastic, John.

Don't think I've seen the Sony preamp in any of your other pics, or if I have, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Never underestimate what surprises the closet has in store...who knows what else is in there?

As for imposing- yeah, it really doesn't seem so bad in this part of the apartment. Its as out of the way as it can be in a high rise. I very briefly had the Gradients and Quads in the living room and they just overtook the place. Even the Quads by themselves looked silly there. Did you take your Quads off of those stands?

Harry Cat is the only constant in any system around here...everything rotates except his rotund furry self.

I bet that sounds fantastic.

A factory built ST-70 is not something you see everyday. Are those the original 7199 driver tubes? I guess one of the mods was to beef up the power supply with an extra filter cap.

I like the Sony pre-amp. I have some Sony gear from that era. It was very well made. I'll have to check my closets and give the Sony gear a listen. :D

Way way cool. I've got two pairs of Quad 63's, with one fully functional speaker out of the four (both sets were supposed to have one good/one bad, which would have given me a working pair while I sorted out the other two..).

Anyhow, I've heard enough to know that they are simply stunning. The Gradient subwoofers are a great addition, but really hard to find.

Very nice. When I've found the sweet spot with my Quads, there is *nothing* that has ever sounded better. And even when you're not directly in the sweet spot, they sound damn good.

Thanks for sharing.

bs

I bet that sounds fantastic.

A factory built ST-70 is not something you see everyday. Are those the original 7199 driver tubes? I guess one of the mods was to beef up the power supply with an extra filter cap.

I like the Sony pre-amp. I have some Sony gear from that era. It was very well made. I'll have to check my closets and give the Sony gear a listen. :D

It has Sylvania 7199s, but I really don't know what was done to the amp in detail. Its not stock, but its also not a totally different amp like some ST-70s. The plate elevating the bottom is to leave room for a different choke that the previous owner, who rebuilt it, put in. It sounds much more neutral/transparent than stock 70s I've heard- much more modern, actually. It sounds noticeably better than my Fisher SA-300b, which is restored but stock.

The TA-n86/e86 combo is one of the best purchases I've made. The TA-n86 amps are a steal for what I've seen some of them go for, and the TA-e86 pre is a fine unit. I may run the panels with the n86 later if I feel like switching gear (and I always feel like switching gear). Taking the bass load off of the Quads really has opened up some amp possibilities.

Way way cool. I've got two pairs of Quad 63's, with one fully functional speaker out of the four (both sets were supposed to have one good/one bad, which would have given me a working pair while I sorted out the other two..).

Anyhow, I've heard enough to know that they are simply stunning. The Gradient subwoofers are a great addition, but really hard to find.

Very nice. When I've found the sweet spot with my Quads, there is *nothing* that has ever sounded better. And even when you're not directly in the sweet spot, they sound damn good.

Thanks for sharing.

bs
Good luck getting a pair of the Quads working. I love them as much without the Gradients as I do with them. You lose a tiny hint of transparency through the Gradient crossover, which is made up for with bass and dynamics. Its easy to switch a few chords around to run them full range. There's a Luxman M-12 amp on the shelf behind the right speaker for that purpose right now, as the Levinson is a beast to drag over.

Very nice! I like the chair a lot too.

Erin

If you and Eric are ever downtown, give me a ring. You're welcome to hear it.

Its an interesting setup- the amplification is from the b-team around here, gear that fell by the wayside, and fell out of use, as I upgraded different systems. And now, like a movie where the underdogs come back to win, its sounding better than anything I've put together here. I'm curious what it would sound like if I dragged my main-system pre and amp over here, but I like how it sounds so much that I don't feel like bothering with it.

I love that Sony preamp! Whenever I see one on ebay, I drool over it. You've got some premo gear and your setups are so very clean (not to mention nicely photographed). :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom