What could ya build with these giant twin triodes ? ? !

Stephen J

Suum Cuique
Ratheon 6080WC Twin Triode !! a little bigger than a 6SN7 and a lot bigger than a 12XX7 variety by a stretch.

picture.php

picture.php

For scale.......

picture.php

I've got a bunch of those laying around. It would be kind of cool to built a SET amp with only one power tube...

They make very good voltage reglator tubes , triode amps

True dat, I've got 3 HH Scott 265A monoblock amps with the 6080 as a pass regulator for the power supply - two 5U4G's and outputs of 4 x 1614/6L6G's to handle.

All of the 6080s that I have are pulls from Tek scopes - they used several of them per scope in the bigger units as voltage regulators.

Use the American version of the 6080. The Russian tubes seem to be noisy. They are great for headphone amplifiers. You might get 7 watts of audio out of one.
Definitely a good voltage regulator tube........Uncle Sam had many orders for these used in the older comm equipment and test equipment

hey-Hey!!!,
There are also the bigger cousin, type 6336. Then if you want to step up the mu, type 6528, 5998 and 7236...lots of uses for these 'not-for-audio' tubes. The 6336 and 6528 are about the limit of what you can run through an octal socket contact in terms of heater current at 5A though...

Now if you want to up the plate dissipation on the 6336, back off the heater input; the plates will do a fine job of heating the cathode( or at least making significant contributions ). IIRC one could drop to 3A of heater input if you wanted to run 40W from each plate.
cheers,
Douglas.

Bottlehead crack headphone amp clone?

BTW, I don't put the 6080 in the 'big tube' category. You should hang out with the RF crowd a bit....
;-)

Hiya,

So looking around these seem to be well suited for OTL designs particularly the 6336.

Fun stuff for sure in the "Junk" tube box. Makes me wonder other than those massively useless TV HV rectifier tubes which for sure don't have a decent use.

But that is another subject.

Frannie

Last edited:
I have a dozen or so 6080s, I think.

Someday, if I decide to build an OTL amp... it would require the right speakers (preferably 32 ohm or such)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom