Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Grant Fidelity

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 AM
AK Member

I use GF-MRCA-1 Gold Coated Copper Reference Interconnects (Golden Dragon) Cables on my I-25 and the PC-1.5 Performance Power Cord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRCA-1new.jpg (47.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-15-2011, 03:02 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etocynned View Post
So I have crap cables.

What types of cables are other I-12 owners using?
I created an excuse to buy a complete system, so I decided to go for my best chance at easy synergy by going with a complete Grant Fidelity outfit - the power conditioner and power chords as well as the GF interconnects and speaker cables. No regrets - when I A/B tested some speakers a while ago I connected them with identical cheap speaker wires, and there was a significant haze with the cheapies that disappeared with the GF speaker wires. I did not A/B test the GF power chords or interconnects, but they are certainly very well made, and the power conditioner is butch.
Synergy is the key, and you may want to do some experimenting to hear what works for you. If I had to do things really on the cheap I would start with decent guage OFC generic speaker wire and then upgrade the rest. I have the TubeDAC-09, and it made a huge difference for my CD playback. The DAC built into cheap CDP tends to be cheap. The TubeDAC-11 upgrade will also provide you with multiple inputs - handy because your I-12 has a single stereo RCA input.
As you are upgrading your system I hope your GF won't find a need to upgrade her BF. On the positive side, you would have more time, and a quieter space to listen to your music. Every stereo upgrade has its compromises...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
AK Member

Its close!

As of 8:08 this morning it left the local depot for delivery to my address.

I've got school today so ill have to do the unboxing after. Maybe ill do a video or at least some pics.

no no it has to be a video, this is a momentus occasion!

Any hints or advice or requests?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
AK Member

Thank you for offering to make a video of opening the box. We would love to have a YouTube category called 'Open Box' (or something similar) to let others to see how a product looks like from when it arrives in the box until it is on the shelf to play.

Send me the video link once you have it

Best,
Rachel @ Grant Fidelity
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
AK Member

Whooooooooooooooot!!

It HERE!

the unboxing will be Youtubized, if that becomes a word, you heard it here first!
Audiokarma
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 PM
AK Member

Talking Huston the i12 has landed.

So i made an unboxing video, ill post it asap.

First song played was Simon and Garfunkel Bridge over Troubled Waters.

The Surface noise of the LP was enormous and the music sounded somewhat congested, i think its the rest of the system.

Currently listening to Rumors, Fleetwood Mac, Very much better. The flow of the music is so beautiful.

Never going back again has always been a reference for tonal clarity and transients, all the guitar work is spectacular. Currently sounding boxed in, bout 10 minutes in so what do i expect.

The midrange is nice though so smooth, i'm going to try some usb input stuff off my phone, i have some 24/96 FLAC of Amy Winehouse.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Grant Fidelity Forum Moderator

The USB port on the side only does MP3, just so you don't pull your hair out trying to play FLAC files with it, you need the TubeDAC-11 for that. Enjoying your story

Cheers,
Ian

If in Calgary, please visit our Calgary Showroom and see and hear what we do :)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
AK Member

The mp3 input sounds so good, shows off how crappy my vinyl setup is.

Guess a Realistic phonograph preamp and dollar store cables do impact sound.

Listened to Ella and Andrea Bocelli, the smoothness is so nice. Like the music is flowing downhill.

That must be the liquidity everyone talks about, there's no strain to the sound.

I can't wait to hear the changes as the tubes break in.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 AM
AK Member

Oh ya, its loud!

Listening to New Order Substance LP it sounds smooth and this little amp cranks!

Nice bass and smooth mids especially considering its an electronic album.

The flow of the album, it just seems to pour out, nice to be able to listen with such joy.

The speakers have some big reinforcement from being on a lowboy cabinet and only 6" from the wall, the right speaker is somewhat corner loaded by a sidewall about 11" away.

Ill admit to being a basshead so I don't mind, but my turntable is in the lowboy so I need to decouple the speakers from the stand, some spikes and cups are in order.

Another thing I've noticed, the soundstage is so wide its almost as if the speakers are wired out of phase, I've toed them in a bit and I move around until I can't see the sides which seems to help.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 AM
AK Member

Headphone listening.

My 201's let me hear stuff I might not pay attention to otherwise, there's a distortion there on vinyl playback.

Ravel Bolero beginning solos sound okay, clarinet, flute,Alto sax. Maybe its just some discs? See if its overload in the phono preamp.

Well it seems my turntables speed issues are resolved, this song has marched along like quartz watch.

Nothing happens in the centre of the soundfield in this song, all either left or right.

Perhaps its overload somewhere, the massed strings are sounding a bit rough, almost crunchy.

Ya it sounds like overdrive, maybe ill download a good copy of this and listen on the mp3 input. Just to be sure.

This sound is still so awesome though, that snare drum is ANNOYING! I love this song!
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
AK Member

System synergy is important. I just picked up a used GF amp with a pair of 2A3's in push pull arrangement with 14wpc. They sounded good on my Klipsch speakers and amazing on my Altecs. Vocals and details sound like the performer is in the room. Listening to Gordon Lightfoot right now and I've never heard this cd sound this good. The bass is way better than I had been led to expect. It's a keeper. Give your amp a good 50-100hrs on the tubes before you decide on it's performance. The top end will open up and transparency will increase.
Hibuck...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrant View Post
The USB port on the side only does MP3, just so you don't pull your hair out trying to play FLAC files with it, you need the TubeDAC-11 for that. Enjoying your story

Cheers,
Ian
Ya, it just ignored that folder.

Got to let it run overnight for background music, first time in a long time, must be the smoothness.

Ella discography is a wonderful thing, all at 320kbps. Sounds good.

I'll have to try playing my Amy winehouse from the headphone output on my phone.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Grant Fidelity Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibuckhobby View Post
System synergy is important. I just picked up a used GF amp with a pair of 2A3's in push pull arrangement with 14wpc. They sounded good on my Klipsch speakers and amazing on my Altecs. Vocals and details sound like the performer is in the room. Listening to Gordon Lightfoot right now and I've never heard this cd sound this good. The bass is way better than I had been led to expect. It's a keeper. Give your amp a good 50-100hrs on the tubes before you decide on it's performance. The top end will open up and transparency will increase.
Hibuck...
Sometimes the 4 ohms taps can make a nice synergy improvement, I ran my KG2 and KG4s on the 4 ohm taps, just seemed to wake the KG's up more on lower powered amps.

Cheers,
Ian

If in Calgary, please visit our Calgary Showroom and see and hear what we do :)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 AM
AK Member

quick listen

Had a quick listen to some Ella on vinyl, sounds good. More coherent than this morning.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 AM
AK Member

Which amp did you get highbuck?
Audiokarma