HPM-60 Recap

mccarty350

Reposting this into it's own thread hoping for some help.

So guys, I'm ready for my first recap and have found the schematic for my HPM-60 U2's and I took a look at the crossover and everything that is labeled reflects the schematic. Here are my caps per visual inspection and per the schematic:

1 x 3uf volt per xover
1 x 6uf 66 volt per xover
1 x .3uf 66 volt per xover

I have not had any success finding exact value replacement capacitors in the store nor via partsexpress. Here's my current bill of materials, tell me if this is close enough or if I need to go on a mad hunt:

Your Shopping Cart
Item Qty. Price Total Remove
Dayton Audio DMPC-0.33 0.33uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-404 In Stock

$0.81 $1.62
Dayton Audio DMPC-5.6 5.6uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-425 In Stock

$2.63 $5.26
Dayton PMPC-3.3 3.3uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor
Part Number: 027-222 In Stock

$3.34 $6.68
45 Day No Hassle Return Policy Order Subtotal: $13.56

Will this work? Let me know and I'll pull the trigger, from what I've seen online I want 5% tolerance caps and %'s over that are good but the price per performance ration experiences diminishing returns. Have seen people recommend Solen and Jantzen but the ratings on these Daytons are similar (save for max voltage but the ones in there now are only 66volts) and are only 60% of the cost of the Solens and Jantzens. I was not sure whether it was better if you can't get the exact value of a cap to go over or under. For example, if you needed a 6uf cap and you only had options of 5.6uf or 6.4uf (pulling this out of the hat) which would be better to err on the side of.

Anyone?

Thanks,
McCarty350

order two extra .3uf and put in paralell with 5.6 to get 6uf for perfect fit.

should all work fine.

So that's all I need to do? How do you put them in parallel? My game plan was very simplistic because of my lack of knowledge, I was just going to unsolder what was there and resolder the replacements in the same holes. I'm not sure what it means to put them in parallel, does it basically mean I solder 3 capacitors where one would go? If that is the case how do I fit 3 caps into the space one occupied?

McCarty350

Back
Top Bottom